subepisodes
Hi all,

I am new to Ember, sorry if this has an obvious answer but I'm having trouble finding one.
I am trying to scrape files in DVD Order using TVDB. The DVD order for some of my shows has subepisodes within each episode split and labeled separately using the same episode number. If you pull the data using Filebot (the DVD episode field is blank in the new TVDB UI) there is no numerical distinction between subepisodes. What you see is as follows:

Adventure Time - 1x01 - Slumber Party Panic
Adventure Time - 1x01 - Trouble in Lumpy Space
Adventure Time - 1x02 - Prisoners of Love
Adventure Time - 1x02 - Tree Trunks
Adventure Time - 1x03 - The Enchiridion!
Adventure Time - 1x03 - The Jiggler
etc...

I keep the subepisodes as separate video files. The problem I have is that when scraping, I do not know what to label my files so they will match to the TVDB indices properly. For example, I have tried S01E01.1/S01E01.2 and S01E01a/S01E01b and neither have worked. What happens is that the scraper simply determines both files are the last subepisode for that particular episode, thus two nfo files are created for the 2nd subepisode and are applied to both subepisodes

Is there a way to scrape this subepisode data automatically, or is this not supported? Also, is subepisode even the right term? This may be why I'm having trouble finding info.

I don't understand why TVDB doesn't just give each DVD subepisode separate enumerations, as they do for airdate order

Thanks!
@BetterOffEd

I have downloaded the information for you and placed it here... https://pastebin.com/L4bs8tqE

Find your episode and use the corresponding DVD numbering to number your episodes... eg <DVD_episodenumber>1.1</DVD_episodenumber> and <DVD_season>1</DVD_season> for the Slumber Party Panic episode.

TVDB is a mess and there seems to be no urgency to fix the problems they created when they updated their site.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Moved to metadata scrapers.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks! I'll try this out

Does this mean the scraper in Ember should work if the file is labeled s01e1.1 or s01e1.2? This is something I tried before but could not get the scraper to work (both files are matched to episode 1.2). Perhaps the default regex is cutting the decimal?

I have found that fixing the nfo files manually is pretty straight forward, so I'm not too concerned if I can't get the scraper to work, but it seems that TVDB uses these decimals for DVD subepisodes in many shows (so far I've seen them on Adventure Time, Powerpuff Girls, Garfield & Friends, Invader Zim, and a handful of Seinfeld episodes) so I'm guessing it must be possible
I cannot help you with Ember.

There should be no problems using the decimal numbering - S01E1.1. But it only works if TheTVDB has numbered the episode the same way. You can't just randomly place these decimal numberings where you feel like it. The metadata I provided should allow you to see where that numbering is used, and fix your file naming accordingly.

The decimal numbering is normally used where an episode was shown on TV as two episodes (normally to fit into the standard 1hr viewing block), but the DVD release shows it as one episode.
My Signature
(2018-08-27, 02:08)Karellen Wrote: I cannot help you with Ember.

There should be no problems using the decimal numbering - S01E1.1. But it only works if TheTVDB has numbered the episode the same way. You can't just randomly place these decimal numberings where you feel like it. The metadata I provided should allow you to see where that numbering is used, and fix your file naming accordingly.

The decimal numbering is normally used where an episode was shown on TV as two episodes (normally to fit into the standard 1hr viewing block), but the DVD release shows it as one episode.
Thanks, I tried again in Ember using the decimal notation and no luck

Could we move this thread back to the Ember forum in case someone there has solved the issue?
Sure. Moved to Ember.
My Signature
Subepisode works in Ember like in Kodi:
"Adventure Time - S01E01.1"
"Adventure Time - S01E01.2"
"Adventure Time - 1x1.1"
"Adventure Time - 1x1.2"

But TVDB has no DVD order stored for the tv show "Adventure Time". Each Subepisode has an owen episode number: Link
So you've to map/rename the episodes like this:

"Adventure Time - 1x1.1" => "Adventure Time - 1x1"
"Adventure Time - 1x1.2" => "Adventure Time - 1x2"
"Adventure Time - 1x2.1" => "Adventure Time - 1x3"
"Adventure Time - 1x2.2" => "Adventure Time - 1x4"
(2018-08-27, 09:50)DanCooper Wrote: Subepisode works in Ember like in Kodi:
"Adventure Time - S01E01.1"
"Adventure Time - S01E01.2"
"Adventure Time - 1x1.1"
"Adventure Time - 1x1.2"

But TVDB has no DVD order stored for the tv show "Adventure Time". Each Subepisode has an owen episode number: Link
So you've to map/rename the episodes like this:

"Adventure Time - 1x1.1" => "Adventure Time - 1x1"
"Adventure Time - 1x1.2" => "Adventure Time - 1x2"
"Adventure Time - 1x2.1" => "Adventure Time - 1x3"
"Adventure Time - 1x2.2" => "Adventure Time - 1x4"
 thanks for the help!
Please bare in mind I am new to Ember, so I may be skipping something obvious.

I created a very simple test TV source with only two episodes and named them as follows:
"Adventure Time - S02E01.1.mkv"
"Adventure Time - S02E01.2.mkv"
I set the TV Source "Default Episode Ordering" to DVD, and set "Show Episodes by" to Episode #

Here's an image of what I see in Ember, with the files named as expected using decimal for subepisode distinction:

Now I click "Scrape TV Shows" (All -> Automatic -> All Items)

Note that both files have been Scraped as Episode 01 - "The Eyes", with no subepisode distinction. The nfo files created show the same thing in both files: 
<title>The Eyes</title>
<episode>1</episode>

Though strangely (and I did not notice this before!) the nfo files do show appropriate values in the subepisode tags:
<subepisode>1</subepisode>
vs.
<subepisode>2</subepisode>

"The Eyes" is actually Episode 01.2. The title for Episode 01.1, "It Came from the Nightosphere" is not scraped into either file.
Also, for both files, Ember scrapes the thumbnail from Episode 01.1, "It Came from the Nightosphere", which is strange, since it pulls both titles from Episode 01.2

Also, notice that after scraping, Ember fills in the missing episodes in the Episode Panel, but only fills in the x.2 subepisodes, thus, only 13 episodes are found for the season, rather than 26. You can see that episode #13 is titled "Mortal Recoil (2)", and "Mortal Recoil (1)" (which would be episode 13.1) is simply not listed. It looks to me like Ember is finding and using the latest subepisode for any episode number in this case, and ignoring all subepisodes prior

"Adventure Time" does have dvd data on TVDB, but it is not currently visible. TVDB no longer shows DVD orders on the webpage ever since they made an update a few months back, but the dvd orders are still available to scrape. This is also a problem, and I have asked TVDB about it here: https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=50102
I believe the nfo data that @Karellen linked to earlier in this thread is pulled from the existing TVDB data for "Adventure Time", so the data is still there. In @Karellen 's data, the two episodes in my example scrape are labelled as S02E01.1 and S02E01.2 as expected.

The DVD order for "Adventure Time" is slightly different than the aired order, which is why translating the sub numbers directly isn't the best option, but this is the solution I've used by modifying the nfo files manually to respect the DVD order. It would be nice if I could get the Ember scraper to do it without any manual intervention using the decimal numbers, though

I see the same issues with other series as well:

Adventure Time
Animaniacs
Captain N & the Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3
Garfield & Friends
Invader Zim
Metalocalypse
My Little Pony 'n Friends
The Office*
PAW Patrol
Powerpuff Girls
The Ren and Stimpy Show
Rocko’s Modern Life
The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
Seinfeld*
Shin Chan

* Only happens with a few double episodes

Thanks again for your help!
Ok, i think that's a very special case. Normally "subepisodes" are used for that case that you've two files they for one episode (entry), e.g.:

Spongebob Season 1, Episode 1: Help Wanted / Reef Blower / Tea at the Treedome (on IMDb)

Spongebob 1x1.1.mkv
Spongebob 1x1.2.mkv
Spongebob 1x1.3.mkv

In this case all three files get the same episode title/info and the same picture (there is only one picture hosted on IMDb for this 3-in-1 episode). I know that TVDB split this episode into three single episodes. This should only serve as an example...

That's the data the TVDb provides for the tv show "Adventure Time":

Code:
AIRED: s0e1 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e2 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e3 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e4 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e5 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e6 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e7 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e8 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e9 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e10 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e11 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e12 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e13 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s0e14 | DVD: s0e0
AIRED: s1e1 | DVD: s1e1.1
AIRED: s1e2 | DVD: s1e1.2
AIRED: s1e3 | DVD: s1e2.1
AIRED: s1e4 | DVD: s1e2.2
AIRED: s1e5 | DVD: s1e3.1
AIRED: s1e6 | DVD: s1e3.2
AIRED: s1e7 | DVD: s1e4.1
AIRED: s1e8 | DVD: s1e4.2
AIRED: s1e9 | DVD: s1e5.1
AIRED: s1e10 | DVD: s1e5.2
AIRED: s1e11 | DVD: s1e6.1
AIRED: s1e12 | DVD: s1e6.2
AIRED: s1e13 | DVD: s1e7.1
AIRED: s1e14 | DVD: s1e7.2
AIRED: s1e15 | DVD: s1e8.1
AIRED: s1e16 | DVD: s1e8.2
AIRED: s1e17 | DVD: s1e9.1
AIRED: s1e18 | DVD: s1e9.2
AIRED: s1e19 | DVD: s1e10.1
AIRED: s1e20 | DVD: s1e10.2
AIRED: s1e21 | DVD: s1e11.1
AIRED: s1e22 | DVD: s1e11.2
AIRED: s1e23 | DVD: s1e12.1
AIRED: s1e24 | DVD: s1e12.2
AIRED: s1e25 | DVD: s1e13.1
AIRED: s1e26 | DVD: s1e13.2
AIRED: s2e1 | DVD: s2e1.1
AIRED: s2e2 | DVD: s2e1.2
AIRED: s2e3 | DVD: s2e2.1
AIRED: s2e4 | DVD: s2e2.2
AIRED: s2e5 | DVD: s2e3.1
AIRED: s2e6 | DVD: s2e3.2
AIRED: s2e7 | DVD: s2e4.1
AIRED: s2e8 | DVD: s2e4.2
AIRED: s2e9 | DVD: s2e5.1
AIRED: s2e10 | DVD: s2e5.2
AIRED: s2e11 | DVD: s2e6.1
AIRED: s2e12 | DVD: s2e6.2
AIRED: s2e13 | DVD: s2e7.1
AIRED: s2e14 | DVD: s2e7.2
AIRED: s2e15 | DVD: s2e8.1
AIRED: s2e16 | DVD: s2e8.2
AIRED: s2e17 | DVD: s2e9.1
AIRED: s2e18 | DVD: s2e9.2
AIRED: s2e19 | DVD: s2e10.1
AIRED: s2e20 | DVD: s2e10.2
AIRED: s2e21 | DVD: s2e11.1
AIRED: s2e22 | DVD: s2e11.2
AIRED: s2e23 | DVD: s2e12.1
AIRED: s2e24 | DVD: s2e13.1
AIRED: s2e25 | DVD: s2e13.2
AIRED: s2e26 | DVD: s2e12.2

same for season 3 to 6

AIRED: s7e1 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s7e2 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s7e3 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s7e4 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s7e5 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s7e6 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s7e7 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s7e8 | DVD: s?e?
AIRED: s7e9 | DVD: s?e?

season 7 to 10 has no DVD information (maybe not yet released on DVD or missing entries)

For me that's the first time that I see a double/subepisode entry for a single (DVD) episode. This information is simply not (yet) considered in Ember. Subepisodes are currently used only for the initially mentioned case.

I wrote that on the to-do list.
Thanks for considering it! I can work around the issue by modifying nfo files, but I'll keep an eye out for any updates

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
subepisodes0