Kodi subtitles are turned off by default?
Hey guys,

In Kodi 18, apart from doing the "Enable subtitles for all media" (which didn't work well).

I realized that making the change in Language > Subtitles > Preferred subtitle language > User Interface Language enables the subtitles by default.

Kindly note that my Interface > Regional > Language is her to "English".

I've tried other values like "Forced language" and "Original Language" in Preferred subtitle language but that doesn't enable subtitles by default.

Is this a bug?
How can I report it?
Subs are only automatically enabled if they meet one of the following conditions:

1. forced sub and ("original stream's language" was selected or subtitles are off) and audio stream language matches sub language
  2. default sub and ("original stream's language" was selected or subtitles are off) and audio stream language matches sub language
  3. a sub where audio stream language matches sub language and (original stream's language" was selected or subtitles are off)
  4. a forced sub and a default sub ("original stream's language" was selected or subtitles are off)
(2019-04-30, 12:41)jjd-uk Wrote: Subs are only automatically enabled if they meet one of the following conditions:

1. forced sub and ("original stream's language" was selected or subtitles are off) and audio stream language matches sub language
  2. default sub and ("original stream's language" was selected or subtitles are off) and audio stream language matches sub language
  3. a sub where audio stream language matches sub language and (original stream's language" was selected or subtitles are off)
  4. a forced sub and a default sub ("original stream's language" was selected or subtitles are off)

Is this spelled out this clearly somewhere in the Wiki? Otherwise I think it would be a worthy add.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2019-04-30, 12:46)ashlar Wrote:
(2019-04-30, 12:41)jjd-uk Wrote: Subs are only automatically enabled if they meet one of the following conditions:

Is this spelled out this clearly somewhere in the Wiki? Otherwise I think it would be a worthy add.

Not sure, I just looked at the code comments for the priority handling on github https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...#L222-L234
(2019-04-30, 12:55)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2019-04-30, 12:46)ashlar Wrote:

Not sure, I just looked at the code comments for the priority handling on github https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...#L222-L234 
I don't have wiki editing privileges (I had them but I lost them in one of the system changes), but I guess here would be the right place to add that information: https://kodi.wiki/view/Subtitles
Under a "Subtitiles automatic enabling logic" or something similar.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2018-08-26, 15:46)chrisssj2 Wrote: I have to press "T" each time which is really annoying.
I tried going into the options and settings the "enable subs" slider and then go to "set as default for all media"
However... this doesn't work correctly.. as the next video will still have subs turned off.

Any idea?

I had to go to (Settings/Player/Accessability) and enable " prefer subtitles for the hearing impaired ". This caused the subtitles from any video to turn on by default. If you do not wish for the subtitles to be on, you will have to disable this setting. Also when compressing the mkv file use the subtitle settings (* whichever line is for foreign text* in my case line 2 first, line 1 second. Check boxes " forced only " and " default " . This should solve your problem.
have the kodi 18.6 read on my android and pc and since a month that I do not get subtitles in Portuguese, before they started automatically and now I have to download and only English subtitles appear in opensubtilte I am any other addon, some help
Quote:Hey guys,

In Kodi 18, apart from doing the "Enable subtitles for all media" (which didn't work well).

I realized that making the change in Language > Subtitles > Preferred subtitle language > User Interface Language enables the subtitles by default.

Kindly note that my Interface > Regional > Language is her to "English".

I've tried other values like "Forced language" and "Original Language" in Preferred subtitle language but that doesn't enable subtitles by default.

Is this a bug?
How can I report it?

This seems to have done the trick for me! Thanks !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi subtitles are turned off by default?0