• 22(current)
Broken Locast
The closest thing to a successor to Locast could be LocalBTV
Will LocalBTV Be a Possible Alternative to Locast?
Local BTV admits that they plan on charging for their service, once they add network channels. That means they will immediately get hit with the same corporate machine that hit Locast.... which probably means they won't bother at all.

What Locast should have done is to remove the annoying interruptions, and left the donations on the "honor system". Some people might well have taken advantage of such a thing and watched it for free, but most probably would have gladly kept the donations going. It certainly was well worth the $5 during football season. And occasionally other times of the year. While I definitely don't agree with the judge's ruling, I can't say he's entirely wrong to take objection to Locast advertising itself as a free service, while making it virtually impossible to watch without donations.
LocalBTV says they are streaming the channels with permission of the operators, so I assume they will have to pay some sort of carriage fee to the networks because I highly doubt they will give permission.

Hindsight is 20/20, the fact they they were profiting and using those profits for expansion was the smoking gun.  I still wonder if the company can be taken over by another entity and receive donations without offering anything in return.
(2021-09-02, 18:19)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2021-09-02, 18:04)pixel8tor Wrote:
(2021-09-02, 16:54)Lunatixz Wrote: From my understanding, they were not shut down; rather they have to rework their "donation" adverts due to court rulings.
Sorry but I think you're mistaken. Reworking their "donation" adverts was last weeks news. Now it's ". . . suspending operations, effective immediately." Go to the site and read it for yourself. Either way, it doesn't work any more, so the semantics really don't matter.

Gotcha, I wasn't aware things escalated past that point... I'll wait a month for news, if nothing changes I'll mark the plugin as broken and close this thread.
Thx for the update.

Is it time to mark this add-on broken, yet? Was nice while it lasted. And as always  @Lunatixz, thanks for your great work.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Locast1