OS X Problem trying to build Kodi 18 using doc GitHub README.macOS.md
macOS Sierra 10.12.6, Xcode 9.3.1, MacPro Desktop 5,1. I would like to build Kodi 18.

Section 2 Prerequisites says
"Building for OSX/macOS should work with the following constellations of Xcode and OSX/macOS versions:
        Xcode 9.x on OSX 10.12.x (Sierra)"

But Xcode will not execute because in trying to launch Xcode 9.3.1 I get a message that it requires MacOS 10.13.
Because of the firmware upgrade required I'm not willing to go to High Sierra just yet.

Anyone got it to work with an earlier Xcode 9? E.G. Xcode 9.2?
I downloaded,installed and executed Xcode 9.2 - all OK.
Also downloaded and installed Command Line Tools for Xcode 9.2 and the Java SE 10.0.2.
Plus cloned Kodi 18.

That's the first 3 steps in the document. FWIW
Well Xcode 9.2 should work imo.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2018-09-04, 21:16)Memphiz Wrote: Well Xcode 9.2 should work imo.
Not out of the box -  My setup - macOS Sierra 10.12.6, Xcode 9.2, Command Line Tools 10.12, Java SE 10.0.2 - Hardware MacPro Desktop 5,1.
Previously completed steps 1 - 3 so today worked through step 4 - and have the log available for uploading.... Got 20 fatal errors.
There is a comment in the log referring to a  README.COMPILATION.PROBLEMS
Where would that be? BBEdit couldn't find it using a multi file search in the checked out Kodi.
====================
Brief log extracts:
Gandalf:~ pteeson$ cd kodi/tools/depends
Gandalf:depends pteeson$ ./bootstrap...
Gandalf:depends pteeson$ ./configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin --with-sdk=10.12...
clangclang: : warningwarning: : no such sysroot directory: '-isystem' [-Wmissing-sysroot]no such sysroot directory: '-isystem' [-Wmissing-sysroot]
The above seems to be causing many of them such as:
In file included from crctable.c:22:
./bzlib_private.h:25:10: fatal error: 'stdlib.h' file not found
#include <stdlib.h>
Try without the SDK line and start Xcode once to ensure that everything is running properly - in case you had multiple Xcode versions jnstalled ensure to do xcode-select to the current one on the terminal
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2018-09-05, 22:05)Memphiz Wrote: Try without the SDK line and start Xcode once to ensure that everything is running properly -
in case you had multiple Xcode versions jnstalled ensure to do xcode-select to the current one on the terminal
Thank you. Followed your advice....... Also installed 9.2 Command Line Tools again... I probably forgot to do that over the previous one (8.3).
Gandalf:~ pteeson$ xcode-select -p
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
Gandalf:~ pteeson$ cd kodi/tools/depends
Gandalf:depends pteeson$ ./bootstrap
Gandalf:depends pteeson$ ./configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin...
touch .installed-macosx10.13_x86_64-target-debug
Dependencies built successfully.

Moving onward tomorrow.
Today I moved on to Step 5 Build Binary Add-ons. The document shows 3 choices:
Build all add-ons:   Build specific add-ons:    Build a specific group of add-ons:

Step 4 had this TIP: Look for comments starting with Or ...and only execute the command(s) you need.

I'm guessing that Step 5 should really be:
Build all add-ons: Or  Build specific add-ons:   Or Build a specific group of add-ons:

If my guess is correct how can I suggest this to the doc maintainer for MacOS?

BTW I just did the Build all add-ons step and after that checking the example add-ons suggested in the other steps were already built
I‘ve pinged @Rechi about the readme.
Create a pull request at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc if you want to update the documentation.
(2018-09-07, 07:13)Rechi Wrote: Create a pull request at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc if you want to update the documentation.
Sorry for my ignorance.....Have had a Git account for a while. Have read CONTRIBUTING.md.
Although I have cloned the master to my local machine, at this point in time I am not planning to do coding. Just build Kodi18.
So just to add 2 words to the master docs/xbmc/README.macOS.md I have to clone the master on GitHub and create a branch  etc etc?

So looked at the "Check out other ways to contribute." link in CONTRIBUTING.md which sends me to README.md and the •Documentation sends me to the Kodi Wiki pages. That is not going to fix the Git page.

Maybe there is a way I can do a diff? Or a simpler way to do a pull?
Gandalf:~ pteeson$ diff /Users/pteeson/kodi/docs/README.macOS\ copy.md /Users/pteeson/kodi/docs/README.macOS.md
130,131d129
< Or
<
137,138d134
< Or
<
You can do this even via the GitHub Frontend. Fork kodi to your GitHub account - create a branch - edit the readme via the web editor - commit it and it will also suggest you to do a pull request.
(2018-09-09, 11:34)Memphiz Wrote: You can do this even via the GitHub Frontend. Fork kodi to your GitHub account - create a branch - edit the readme via the web editor - commit it and it will also suggest you to do a pull request.
OK will do.
I've actually managed to complete the build and launch Kodi 18. Yay.
Along the way I discovered a few more things and how to resolve them.

So I will now repeat the process from scratch and make notes as I go along.
And then perhaps make a branch and a doc for how to do things for Sierra 10.12.6 and Xcode 9.2

Thanks for the support.
Any contribution is welcome. Also note that the build instructions should not really differ between Xcode versions but let’s see what you come up with Smile
Sorry for delayed reply - been away from keyboard.

Previously for my second attempt to build Kodi I had completed Step 5.
So today I tried step 6.1 Build using Xcode.
I got 31 Warnings and 8 Errors - exactly the same as for my original attempt.

I can upload the Xcode log. Do you have any preference as to where to do that?
Dropbox?

respect....

Peter

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem trying to build Kodi 18 using doc GitHub README.macOS.md0