Req Video Player (Windows) - Option to select external DirectShow Filters & Renderers
I know that it may have been discussed again, but could it be made  possible that we can select external filters for the embedded player, like Kodi DSPLAYER does?
For example, to use Lav Audio/Video filters and Madvr renderer, or any Directshow filter.
I wish this could be made possible for Kodi 18, however i do not know if someone into Kodi Team has this under consideration...
Not ever going to happen.
Is it due to compatibility reasons that it is not going to be implemented, or something else?
(2018-09-04, 19:37)jjd-uk Wrote: Not ever going to happen.
Would this be doable as a Binary add-on?
I'm not sure about what the limits are for binary add-ons, this is why I ask: are they "complex" enough to include the possibility of an extra player (in this case an extra video player, specific to Windows?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Paging @FernetMenta regarding the possibility of making DSPlayer a binary add-on. Not by you, before you start insulting me. Big Grin Just asking in case an interested developer would emerge.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
A different approach, which I mentioned elsewhere on the forums, could be having madVR as a binary add-on. Just the renderer, which constitutes the grand majority of what DSPlayer users find attractive in that fork.

Would that be possible/easier?
(2019-03-18, 18:20)ashlar Wrote: Paging @FernetMenta regarding the possibility of making DSPlayer a binary add-on. Not by you, before you start insulting me. Big Grin Just asking in case an interested developer would emerge.
 @ashlar There is hardly anything impossible in software. The question is how much effort it is to get this right. I think it is a huge effort.
(2019-03-21, 08:43)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2019-03-18, 18:20)ashlar Wrote: Paging @FernetMenta regarding the possibility of making DSPlayer a binary add-on. Not by you, before you start insulting me. Big Grin Just asking in case an interested developer would emerge.
 @ashlar There is hardly anything impossible in software. The question is how much effort it is to get this right. I think it is a huge effort. 
Thanks for your reply. What about having only madVR as "final" video renderer inserted in place of the regular Kodi one? Would that be significantly easier?
Question i am more interested in is who will maintain all that in the future? Implementing is one thing but keeping it alive is another.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2019-03-21, 15:29)Martijn Wrote: Question i am more interested in is who will maintain all that in the future? Implementing is one thing but keeping it alive is another.
Hi @Martijn , I'm not sure I get the sense of your question? In the case of a madVR binary add-on, the developer would have the responsibility of mantaining it. Like for every other Kodi add-on. It wouldn't be linked to the "official" Kodi team, wouldn't it?
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, that is.
(2019-03-21, 16:05)ashlar Wrote:
(2019-03-21, 15:29)Martijn Wrote: Question i am more interested in is who will maintain all that in the future? Implementing is one thing but keeping it alive is another.
Hi @Martijn , I'm not sure I get the sense of your question? In the case of a madVR binary add-on, the developer would have the responsibility of mantaining it. Like for every other Kodi add-on. It wouldn't be linked to the "official" Kodi team, wouldn't it?
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, that is. 
It's not only the binary addon part but also the core integration and regression testing.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2019-03-21, 16:53)Martijn Wrote: It's not only the binary addon part but also the core integration and regression testing. 
Hi @Martijn , as you might or you might not know, I am no coder. Like, at all... As such my line of questioning was only targeted at understanding whether a binary add-on for DSPlayer, and in suborder of madVR (if easier) would have been doable.
Now, as a non coder, I am inclined to believe that "simply" using a different videorenderer might be easier than changing the overall video playing engine. If this were the case, my non-informed opinion would lead me to believe that an hypothetical developer of such an add-on would be responsible to ensure that his/her add-on would work correctly with whatever Kodi Windows build was current at the moment of distribution.
If the developer would not support his/her add-on for future releases... well, it would be taken out of the repository (if it ever was included in the official repository, that is).

Seeing you talk about core integration makes me think that the current binary add-on architecture wouldn't support such an add-on out of the box, though, requiring work from Kodi team. Which is something I understand you might not be interested in doing. Which is pretty much what my original question amounted to: does the current binary add-on architecture allow for a different video-renderer to be inserted in Kodi's video playback systems?
no
@davilla Is It an answer to my very last question?
It's not possible to switch video renderer through a binary add-on?
(2019-03-21, 23:24)ashlar Wrote: @davilla Is It an answer to my very last question?
It's not possible to switch video renderer through a binary add-on?
 Correct, there is no such thing as a binary addon video renderer. There are bits and pieces, the gameplayer stuff comes to mind but it's not really what you are looking for. One would have to extend the binary addon interface to support it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Player (Windows) - Option to select external DirectShow Filters & Renderers0