2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review
(2018-11-27, 21:50)zespolnetpix Wrote: There is no argument, its just a useless overpriced app. Basically it does the same thing as kodi but without the video ad-on feature. WHO CARES ABOUT THE STUPID INTERFACE?! Plex does this better. I don't understand why anyone would buy this filter down version... Well at the same time some people buy a filter down TV box by purchasing Apple TV instead of a good android box for a mere interface. Whatever...
 Yep - but the Apple TV 4K handles frame rate switching, EOTF and colour gamut switching far better than most Android TV platforms - and also has excellent Netflix and Amazon Prime Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support.

If it ran Kodi it would be perfect - but MrMC is not a bad second.  (The lack of HD Audio bit streaming is also an issue for those with Dolby True HD Atmos/DTS:X systems and content as HD Audio will be decoded to PCM 5.1/7.1 without height extensions, only DD+Atmos will be bit streamed AIUI)

I have the Shield TV, the Apple TV 4K and the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K.  

The Apple TV 4K is the best platform for paid for streaming and catch-up TV IMO. If I want to watch Netflix or Amazon, I'll instantly chose the Apple TV 4K.  It's also got really nicely designed catch up TV apps for most of the major platforms I watch (BBC iPlayer, SVT, NRK, DR, C More, Viaplay etc.) The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K comes second, and the nVidia Shield TV comes last (as it doesn't do frame rate switching on streaming apps)

For pure Kodi the nVidia Shield TV comes first - even though it doesn't gamut switch automatically it does EOTF switch, frame rate switch and resolution switch, and plays all the formats you throw at it.  The Apple TV 4K beats the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K running MrMC, as it supports more video formats and does better with H264 interlaced content, but as the Apple TV 4K doesn't run Kodi, the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K has to come second in the Kodi stakes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review - by noggin - 2018-11-28, 01:47
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review2