2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review
(2020-06-24, 18:01)hdmkv Wrote: Ah, I see. It appears new h/w was expected at WWDC, but obviously didn't materialize.

There was some speculation that a new Apple TV would be the Apple Silicon Mac development platform...  It was very wide of the mark.

I guess the rationale behind moving to a new hardware revision for the ATV either needs to reduce cost, or add functionality that is currently not present.  At the moment the ATV 4K hardware processor seems to outpace every other ARM platform used for media playback in terms of raw CPU power. (It's the only platform that does realtime software decode and deinterlace of high bitrate 4:2:2 1080i content - at least at 50Hz - for example).

Unless a new SoC as used in the iPad Pros/iPhone 11/SE is cheaper than the current SoC (or they stop manufacturing the current one) OR they find a killer new functionality requirement for the Apple TV that needs that extra processing, is there a reason to migrate?

My guess is that gaming would be the driving force to a new hardware platform with more power?

A new remote would be nice though...

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review - by noggin - 2020-06-24, 18:41
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review2