v18 Kodi 18 and Nvidia Shield PVR Issues
Hi All,

I've having 2 different issues with the Nvidia Shield and Kodi 18/NextPVR.

These are the last issues I need to work through before I can decommission my old MediaPC and replace all its current functionality.

Debug logs and notes below.

Issue 1: (Main Issue)
Live TV regularly hangs on a channel when first loading it and I have to channel up/channel down a few times before it works.  Definitely annoying the wife lol
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/5YXQZKsBng/

Issue 2: 
Some channels don't show the correct Aspect Ratio and I end up with Black bars and a compressed Live TV Channel (Aspect Ratio shows 0).  Tried setting 4:3 to Stretch, but makes some older kids movies look odd.
This also only happens on the Shield, my Windows Kodi Install on the same channel has no issues.
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/9CJvPXrS9P/

Thanks all for the assistance and thanks Kodi team for the ongoing work!
Is there an alternate PVR that works flawlessly with Kodi 18 on the NVidia Shield? (With Timeshift or not)  Or do I give up and just watch Live TV outside of Kodi?

Cheers All.
I use TVHeadEnd which runs on Linux not Windows, but it is very stable for me, I also have kodi on a Nvidia Shield (in the living room) and 3 RPi's as clients (in bedrooms) and all work as expected - I used to run NextPVR but i dont think it supported timeshifting properly, so dumped windows and went for a Linux flavor... Myth TV is also pretty good but i prefer TVH - but thats just my preference.
I have the same problem in a Sony Tv with Android tv and in a Xiaomi MiBox.  Live TV hangs on after channel change.
I think this problem is relative to the Android TV. And it occurs in kodi 17 too. We hope the developers fix the problem soon.
I thought it was NextPVR, so swapped to MediaPortal, same issue.  Random "freezes" on channel change and have to change channels repeatedly a few times before the channel will work.
Does anybody have else have issues with the SHIELD with any Kodi PVR setup where they select a channel and the the picture freezes (But system is still responsive)?

Changing the channel up and down a few times will eventually get it working.
(2018-09-26, 07:00)deadlast Wrote: Does anybody have else have issues with the SHIELD with any Kodi PVR setup where they select a channel and the the picture freezes (But system is still responsive)?

Yes, with DVBViewer.
Yep, same behavior with Michael Brehm's unofficial hdhomerun pvr. Same thing even happens on Mac and Linux. One ERROR from ffmpeg:

​​​​​​09:43:44.569 T:123145570521088   ERROR: ffmpeg[70000FFC9000]: [ac3] frame sync error

then a ton of WARNINGs:

​​​​​​09:43:48.278 T:123145573203968 WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: 2454244.027132

It doesn't seem to depend on the channel. Sometimes the same channel will freeze, sometimes it won't.

Here's a log file (includes ffmpeg so it's pretty big):

​​​​​​https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/T3QwkvxMHC/

Here's what I noticed in the logs:

Time channel is opened          Channel #              Result
​​​​​​
15:49:11.066                               603                     All good
​​​​​​15:49:26.947                               600                     All good
15:49:37.120                               603                     Freeze

At 15:49:37.948 there's the frame sync error from ffmeg.
Hi Kodi Team,

Given this issue seems to sit on the Kodi/Android side of house, is there anything I can do to assist in troubleshooting this?

For both Media Portal and NextPVR, when I select a Channel via the EPG, Almost half the time, the channel freezes and its changing channels backwards and forwards that fixes it (or stopping the stream and starting it again).

Thanks for all your hard work on an awesome product!
Can I confirm if this issue is avoided by using TVHeadEnd?  Considering rebuilding my TV Server from Windows to Ubuntu or another Linux Distro with TV Head End.

It also will host a File Share (assume NFS) for Linux?
(2018-09-26, 07:00)deadlast Wrote: Does anybody have else have issues with the SHIELD with any Kodi PVR setup where they select a channel and the the picture freezes (But system is still responsive)?

Same here with DVBViewer (i use the old RecordingService, not the new MediaServer)
Trying MediaPortal 1 for some days now. The stream is hanging at the start, but it's rebuild after a few seconds by itself.

Tvheadend wasn't working for me, because I didn't get up my CI (DigitalDevices) running.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 and Nvidia Shield PVR Issues0