Solved Addon(?) is jumbling up EPG data
I've noticed that the EPG data for some channels is sometimes not correct and Kodi or the addon (I assume it's the addon) is displaying the wrong data.  It only affects the programme that's currently on and always manifests itself as showing a programme from earlier that day, but with a hugely extended duration, in some cases stating a finish time after the start of the next.  It's difficult to explain so these screenshots probably do a far better job of it:

I think it's being triggered by very short programmes (the BBC One issue happens after a 1 minute EPG even and the CBeebies one happens after a 2 minute EPG entry).  The screenshots show the DVBViewer EPG compared to what Kodi is showing for the same time.
The addon itself doesn't modify or validate any start or end times. However the DMS and Kodi do have different code so wrong/overlapping EPG data lead to different results. In my experience in DMS an EPG entry overlapping another is possible. In Kodi this is simply ignored.

e.g.
A runs till C, B starts at A+1 and runs till C: In DMS A runs till B, B runs till C. In Kodi A runs till C, B is hidden.
A runs till C, B starts at A+1 and runs till C+1: In DMS A runs till B, B runs till C. In Kodi A runs till C, B starts at C and runs till C+1.

One more thing: If you switch the channel both the DMS and the PVR refresh the EPG of this particular channel. That might be the reason you didn't see the overlapping entries in advance.
Thanks manül, are you sure that's it though?  My guide data is pulled straight from Sky UK's feed and if you look at the example in the first two screenshots, the "BBC News" programme according to the Kodi EPG, runs from 13:14 - 18:24.  Bear in mind the following programme "Impossible Celebrities", actually started at 17:55 - could an overlap covering 5h10m and 5 programmes really exist?

I use EPG Collector to harvest the EPG data, and as well as piping the data into DMS, it also outputs an XML file, here are the entries for that time period for that channel:

xml:
  <programme start="20180908130000 +0100" stop="20180908131500 +0100" channel="6941">
    <title>BBC News</title>
    <desc>The latest national and international news from the BBC. [HD] [S] Followed by weather.</desc>
    <category>2</category>
    <category>0</category>
    <video>
      <aspect>16:9</aspect>
      <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <audio>
      <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
    <subtitles type="teletext" />
  </programme>
  <programme start="20180908131500 +0100" stop="20180908154500 +0100" channel="6941">
    <title>Great North City Games</title>
    <desc>Gabby Logan presents live coverage from the NewcastleGateshead Quayside as some of the world's best athletes compete in both track and field events in the heart of the city. [HD] [S]</desc>
    <category>4</category>
    <category>6</category>
    <video>
      <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <audio>
      <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
  </programme>
  <programme start="20180908154500 +0100" stop="20180908161500 +0100" channel="6941">
    <title>Money for Nothing</title>
    <desc>At the tip, Sarah Moore saves things from being dumped and transforms them into bespoke and valuable pieces. [HD] [S]</desc>
    <video>
      <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <audio>
      <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
  </programme>
  <programme start="20180908161500 +0100" stop="20180908174000 +0100" channel="6941">
    <title>Brave</title>
    <desc>Animation. A feisty Scottish princess (voiced by Kelly Macdonald) gets more than she bargained for when she turns to a witch for help in changing her mother's mind. [HD] [AD,S]</desc>
    <category>1</category>
    <category>0</category>
    <video>
      <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <audio>
      <stereo>dolby digital</stereo>
    </audio>
    <date>2012</date>
  </programme>
  <programme start="20180908174000 +0100" stop="20180908175000 +0100" channel="6941">
    <title>BBC News</title>
    <desc>The latest national and international news from the BBC. [HD] [S]</desc>
    <category>2</category>
    <category>0</category>
    <video>
      <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <audio>
      <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
  </programme>
  <programme start="20180908175000 +0100" stop="20180908175500 +0100" channel="6941">
    <title>This Is BBC One HD</title>
    <desc>Please switch over to BBC One for the latest news from your area. Programming will resume on BBC One HD after the bulletin.</desc>
  </programme>
  <programme start="20180908175500 +0100" stop="20180908184500 +0100" channel="6941">
    <title>Impossible Celebrities</title>
    <desc>4/6. Rick Edwards hosts a celebrity version of the quiz where 18 stars, including H from Steps and magical Strictly finalist Debbie McGee, compete to win £10,000 for charity. [HD] [S]</desc>
    <video>
      <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <audio>
      <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns"> . 3 . 0/1</episode-num>
  </programme>

There is one annoying quirk with my guide data though, there are 2 or 3 channels which even though I have the exact right data (frequency, SID etc all match) DMS refuses to see them so I have to use the in-band EPG for those particular channels.  BBC One is not one of them though.

If the addon does zero processing of start/end times though, I guess I'm pestering the wrong person.  I'll do some further testing and let you know if I work it out.
(2018-09-08, 21:18)beeswax Wrote: could an overlap covering 5h10m and 5 programmes really exist?
In reality probably not. However the data format allows this. So the answer is yes.
(2018-09-08, 21:18)beeswax Wrote: here are the entries for that time period for that channel
You should look at the output of the DMS API epg endpoint of that particular channel. However as already explained the PVR doesn't do any processing apart from parsing strings and converting data types. Since the code is open source feel free to verify yourself.
No, I don't doubt you in the slightest, as soon as you mentioned that the addon doesn't touch the start/end times the addon was absolved as far as I'm concerned.  I think DMS is tripping over itself with the merging of 2 EPG sources so I've just spent the last couple of hours re-working that.  I've now disabled DMS's in-band EPG collection entirely and instead, I'm getting EPGCollector to do 2 collections (one for Sky then Freesat to fill in the blank channels) and then do a single clear/inject of guide data.  I'm hoping that will fix it.

Thanks for your guidance, much appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Addon(?) is jumbling up EPG data0