• 6(current)
Dolby digital plus and TrueHD no passthrough on Nvidia Shield TV
Hi 

I have not read the whole thread here but passthrough and shield tv sounded like an issue I just had so I just wanted to post my solution that I found somewhere.
I had set my receiver to pass the sound to my tv - thereby limiting the sound to stereo instead of the actual 7.1 that I have.

SO DO NOT SET RECEIVERS TO PASS AUDIO TO TV.

...It would be nice if kodi could "read" that setting from the receiver because it took a long time to connect those two dots.
(2019-02-01, 09:37)WynsWrld98 Wrote:
(2019-01-28, 16:25)Smeezie Wrote: My 2 cents...just picked up a Shield. Running Kodi with the Plex add-on, and it is passing through everything to my Soundbar (including TrueHD and Atmos) through my TV's eARC. I could not get this to work properly without the Shield though -- on just my TV I could not get Kodi to passthrough atmos to my soundbar.

So, Kodi passthrough on the Shield is working perfectly for me.

My setup:
  • Sony A9F 65" OLED (with eARC)
  • Sony HT-Z9F Soundbar 3.1 
  • Nvidia Shield running Kodi 18 RC5 and Plex add-on

Can you please elaborate on what your Audio setup looks like in Shield and Kodi?  I'm new to both.  I'm only able to get PCM output of Kodi (although Netflix outputs Dolby Digital+ as expected).  I have pass through turned on in Kodi 18 and in expert mode have all audio codecs turned on because my Denon A/V receiver supports all of them but all I get out of the Kodi is PCM. 
 I have Denon X1300 with Shield TV. Just select passtrough in the System options (nothing more, don't touch channel numbers or other settings) and enable all codecs. Just it Wink

PS: For Netflix you need latest Forceraw Kodi build (at this moment is RC5: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk), and latest Netflix addon 14.0 beta14 with Dolby option enabled. I confirm that works amazing with 4K HDR10, automatic refresh rate, automatic SDR/HDR change and Dolby Atmos Wink
(2019-01-28, 16:25)Smeezie Wrote: My 2 cents...just picked up a Shield. Running Kodi with the Plex add-on, and it is passing through everything to my Soundbar (including TrueHD and Atmos) through my TV's eARC. I could not get this to work properly without the Shield though -- on just my TV I could not get Kodi to passthrough atmos to my soundbar.

My setup:

Can you please elaborate on what your Audio setup looks like in Shield and Kodi?  I'm new to both.  I'm only able to get PCM output of Kodi (although Netflix outputs Dolby Digital+ as expected).  I have pass through turned on in Kodi 18 and in expert mode have all audio codecs turned on because my Denon A/V receiver supports all of them but all I get out of the Kodi is PCM. 
I followed the settings in this wiki: https://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_quickstart_guide

What TV and AVR/sound bar do you have? 

Make sure 'sync playback to display' is OFF in the player settings as this setting being On will turn disable passthrough.

I use all other apps on my TV itself (internal apps); only use the Shield for playing content from my local Plex server.
Haven’t changed any settings but my audio is now all PCM since the V18 install.
Ok, setting audio config to 2.0 fixed it
Although I am not quite right here because I use a RasPi, but I'm having the same problem that DD+ is not working in passthrough mode.
Any idea why? I am on Leia and have a Denon AVR X4000.
(2019-02-01, 15:03)Smeezie Wrote:

My setup:

I followed the settings in this wiki: https://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_quickstart_guide

What TV and AVR/sound bar do you have? 

Make sure 'sync playback to display' is OFF in the player settings as this setting being On will turn disable passthrough.

I use all other apps on my TV itself (internal apps); only use the Shield for playing content from my local Plex server. 
 Denon X6300H, I have sync playback to display set to OFF, have passthrough selected and in expert mode have all of the sub modes set on but all I get is PCM.
@fritsch Hello, is it possible to get the forceraw package like before for the last release please ?

Thank you very much
(2019-03-18, 12:32)Floyds4thPig Wrote: @fritsch Hello, is it possible to get the forceraw package like before for the last release please ?

Thank you very much

+1 on this please, ATMOS on the ShieldTV is broken otherwise, or at least the metadata is (right sound, wrong speaker).
Building.

Edit: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/ <- will result here, arm, arm-64. What I really wonder is: Why does it work for the other two million users just fine But not for you?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks a lot,

And honestly, I don't think it works for other people either. It's just that most people don't know how / don't care to check on the receiver which codec is used.

Because in the current situation, the sound is just converted to PCM and so it outputs just fine on the receiver. So most people don't see any difference.
The testers on our team have the "Atmos" logo on their AVR when playing that content - that's why I wonder.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-03-25, 09:34)Floyds4thPig Wrote: Thanks a lot,

And honestly, I don't think it works for other people either. It's just that most people don't know how / don't care to check on the receiver which codec is used.

Because in the current situation, the sound is just converted to PCM and so it outputs just fine on the receiver. So most people don't see any difference.

nope, works fine here.
(2019-03-25, 09:34)Floyds4thPig Wrote: Thanks a lot,

So you are claiming that we don't know what we are talking about?

FYI it works just fine for me.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I have seen this issue brought up all the time. Almost always, it's because your Receiver doesn't support Dolby digital plus. Please check to make sure which modes your Receiver actually has, or better yet post your Receiver model, and I bet others will point out what it can and can't decode.

FWIW, I have 2 Denon receivers (one 5.1 and one 7.1) and 2 Vizio 5.1 Soundbars (2016, and 2018 models), and none of them support Dolby Digital Plus (so I don't select that mode in Kodi). However, they do support TrueHD, and when I play BluRay rips with TrueHD, it does show up on both of my receivers as such.

So perhaps if someone is reading this thread, with a Nvidia Shield TV, they might like the settings I use that allows my setups to work...

1. - Your Audio output device should be Android, audiotrack.
    - The number of channels can be left to 2 (which is stereo), even if you a 5.1 or larger speaker setup (but read below the Enable pass-through part).
    - Output configuration change to Best Match (If you notice sound issues, change to Optimized).
    - Enable audio DSP processing should be OFF
    - Enable pass-through should be ON if you have a Receiver (also works with Soundbars).
    - If you are connected to a Receiver? Then change the settings to use Pass-through. Also, the recommended “number of channels” settings is 2.0, even if you have 5.1 or a 7.1 surround sound setup. Because not all Receivers will accept pass-through if it’s set to 5.1 Even then, because Kodi is using a “hacked” method for passing audio over HDMI, pass-through doesn’t always work or work correctly with certain Receivers. The only reason to set it to 5.1 is if Kodi is doing the decoding and you are sending LPCM to your Receiver (this means that Kodi is doing the decoding and sending the decoded audio to your Receiver).

2. - Start a Video, and bring up the OSD (On Screen Display) screen, go to Settings and select “Audio and Subtitle Settings”.
    - Go to Volume Amplification and turn it up (+20 should be a good start, you can also turn down the volume to -30 on this page as well – Or it might be really loud).
    - This is a Global Setting and will work for everything.
    - If you are using Pass-Through (to a Receiver) then this solution will NOT work.

3. Under SettingsàPlayeràVideos
    -"Sync playback to display" set to OFF (if this is ON, you won’t get Pass-through Sound, so No DTS, DTS-MA, DD, DD+, etc.).  
    -"Adjust display refresh rate" set to ON (or On Start/Stop)    “Under SettingsàSystemàDisplayà”Delay after change of refresh rate” change to 3 or 4 seconds (maybe even test 2 seconds), this will avoid any cut off during the beginning of playing a video.
    -Plays smooth but the TV is changing refresh rate when playing a movie which takes a few seconds every time.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby digital plus and TrueHD no passthrough on Nvidia Shield TV0