what's the advantage of Kodi for me?
So I've heard already a few times of Kodi. But I can't see the advantage for me atm. 
I have a PlayStation 4, a SmartTV and an Apple TV. Why is Kodi better or what can Kodi do that my PlayStation, SmartTV or AppleTV can't?

Actually most of the time I use my PS4 to Game and watch Netflix or Youtube. Basicly I never use my SmartTV and very rarely my AppleTV wich basicly could do the same (Netflix and Youtube) as my PS4 except for Gaming. 
Also I'm into Smart Home/Automation but I really don't see an advantage for me. Maybe you can change my mind?

Let me know how you use your Kodi and what you do with it.

Thanks
Kodi is just a media player, it is used to show your local (media that is stored on a pc or NAS or server) media such as TV shows or movies. It also has PVR functions if you have TV tuner.

You can extend Kodi via the use of addons, such as catch up TV YouTube and the like.

This is the intended use of Kodi.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
Simplest answer is to try it and see how you get on with it.

There's no loss as it's entirely free to download and install, so all you're risking is spending a little time on it.

It's difficult to answer a question like yours, as of course what is a key killer feature for one person may go entirely unused and unrequired by another user...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
If all you're into is watching stuff via video streaming sites such as Netflix and Youtube then stick with what you got, if however you are an AV enthusiast who has an extensive collection of video/music files ripped from sources such as dvd, blu-ray, cd then the best way to understand Kodi is that it provides graphically and info rich way to browse these media files, thus essentially creating your own personal Netflix where you provide the content.
For me, the major advantage of Kodi is being able to access all my media, be it TV-Shows, films, music or whatever in every room.  That, coupled with running a PVR backend that can record/pause/rewind live TV (again on any TV, but with the added advantage of only needing a network cable)  makes it a winner for me.  My media is split up such that my kids can only watch what I have given them access to and only during the hours I've allowed whereas I can access everything all the time.  In fact, if media is playing in our house, 99 % of the time it'll be playing with Kodi as the frontend. About the only time it isn't is when I'm watching F1 via my ISP's tv box (as that's the only legal way I have of watching it). 

You can get an awful lot out of Kodi, but only if it's what you want/need.  I have spent considerable time getting everything how I want it and although it still isn't perfect, for a low cost multi-room, multi-aspect solution for all my media needs it fits the bill very well.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
For me, it was the PVR functionality that was the killer feature. If you have a network TV tuner, and don't care for premium TV but want free OTA digital TV, then a dedicated box under each TV might be a solution.

See:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
for more details about what I'm talking about.

Local media stored on a computer 'Netflix style' is great, look at:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library
for more information on that.

With smart home automation - there are a few skills in development on the forum that means you can utter names of movies or TV shows to play without moving from your couch - although a learning curve is needed.

With the added DRM support in Leia, this means that the likes of Netflix and Prime can be used on one application.

If you like tinkering with tech, and don't mind learning something along the way, then Kodi as a media solution is beneficial.

HOWEVER, if you want something that simply works, and so does your significant other - then the likes of Playstation and Apple TV might be a better solution!
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
I'm not sure "PlayStation, SmartTV or AppleTV" would be able to access my home theatre collection of videos in a fashion the Kodi allows, nor handle my audio, slides and TV series in a manner that is most logical, like a private library; all the rest is just gravy (smart playlists) and I don't have to think about the locked in hardware. If you really want to command your media and time, you'll have to rid yourself of commercial dedicated hardware and start using your imagination as to what could be, then pursue that end and you'll find Kodi fits nicely in the middle.
For me it is the ability to have all of my content stored on a single PC, be able to access it in every room in the house via a common interface and have it all tied together with MySQL, for free.  If I were to replicate the functionality I have using proprietary kit I reckon it would cost me thousands.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
For me kodi is the way to go as it offers flexibility to control media and interface. There are lots of different skins available and you can modify those skins or make your own skin from the scratch. If you have installed kodi in full-blown pc, the same device works for many other intentions as well thus no need to use crappy smart tv software or many devices. It's all in one device (spotify, web browser, kodi, home automation etc.)

Also, addons in kodi are very useful. Rome collection browser allows me to play retro games easily (looking forward the day when retrogame is imported to mainline kodi) and with cinema vision I can create a movie theater experience, which is an awesome feature. I don't know any other software that could show me new trailers, commercials, short films etc before and after the main feature. And when cinema vision is combined with home automation (lights, curtains etc), the movie experience is much richer than if you watch a movie from e.g. netflix
Current setup
HTPC: G4560 Kaby Lake, ASRock H110M-ITX, 8 GB, Win10
Server: G2120 Ivy Bridge, ASRock B75 Pro3-M, 8 GB, 22 TB HDD, Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS
Audio&Visual: Marantz NR-1602, Dali Opticon 6 5.1, SVS PB12-NSD, Sony KD-65A1
I was looking for a solution to get rid of my rigged-up-smacked-together media systems where everything had it’s own quircks, seperate remotes and interfaces.

Kodi fit the bill perfectly!
I have a centralized source for all my media, a pvr backend and other things (youtube, NL VOD and some others) all accessible through a pretty interface with a frontend in every room. Should have made a picture of devices i threw out. Thought it was pretty funny how that worked out Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what's the advantage of Kodi for me?0