v18 Slow directory listing
Hey guys,

I have been using the nightlies, following this guide for a couple of months now. What I noticed from the start, was that directory listing of 2 of my remote sources were kinda slow. Now with the latest nightlies its gotten really, really bad. Takes about a minute to simply enter and list a directory which contains maybe 200 subdirs with Videos in them. 
I have to add, these 2 sources are mounted via sshfs and added in Kodi as simple local paths like /mnt/sshfs1. So Kodi shouldn't be able to tell that it's actually a remote source.
On the shell itself I can list the very same directory within 0.5 seconds.
I now also tested a clean install of Kodi 17.6, just toggled a few standard settings (Sound, localization etc.), no addons installed and voila - directory listing is as fast as on the shell < 1 sec.
Then again, I tested once more with a clean install of todays Leia Kodi 18 nightly, no addons, just basic settings and the directory listing takes ages :-(

Btw, there is nothing really to tell even from debug logging, no errors or warnings, it just seems to "hang" for a long time while trying to get the directory listing ...

Here is the debug log, trying to enter video source /mnt/sshfs1/SERIES after reboot ... it took over a minute till I got a directory listing.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/GjJwPzsmBG/

Can anyone help me here or is this a bug/problem with current Leia nightlies?
Split off the Intel VAAPI / ubuntu server thread.
Thread title updated.
Thanks man ...
Does the problem go away if you jump back to an older nightly?  I think the problem I am having might be related to yours - at some point recently, its started taking > 60s just to open my 'TV Shows' library.  If I go back to the main menu, open Movies and then go back to TV, it's another 60s black screen.  I've been trying everything I can think off including:
--
  • Switching from MySQL 5.6 to latest MariaDB
  • Moving MySQL db to a different server
  • Running Milhouse's caching script in case it was artwork related
  • Nuking and completely re-scanning the library into a new MariaDB
-
None of which helped.  Just now, I replaced the [LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-Milhouse-20180916210256-#0916] build with [LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-Milhouse-20180822225356-#0822-gb56a1af] and BAM! TV loads in just a few seconds now.  I'm going to spend some time upgrading to each nightly to see if there's an obvious point where it all goes wrong.

edit: OK, I got it, LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-Milhouse-20180911210243-#0911-g5c961f9 was the last version where my TV library loads in a reasonable time, LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-Milhouse-20180912210258-#0912-g5c961f9 and on all take over a minute just to display it.  Can you try the Sept 11th nightly OP?
thx for your input @beeswax . WIll give it a try later or sometime tomorrow. 

As I said, in my case I had those kinda slow dir listing times for quiet a while with Leia. But not as bad, after I got back from vacation and upgraded to latest nightly 2-3 days ago.
In any case, the dir loading/listing times are unbeatably fast with 17.6 as I mentioned in my first post, so I am pretty sure something else is in play here, too.

Btw, I am not on libreelec but on Lubuntu 18.04.1 and kodi nightly ppa builds.
I'm also having this issue using nightlys on Ubuntu 18. Tvshows now take up to 3 mins to load. I'll upload a log tomorrow if needed the Mrs just started watching a movie Wink
I found a whole bunch of posts reporting the same thing in the LibreELEC v18 thread after posting here, something's definitely up.  I'd put money on any nightly from before Sept 11 being fine for you.
I've noticed the same thing affecting my TV shows on my Shield TV - nothing in the log points any problems.

EDIT: As beeswax said rolling back to 10th Sept build fixed it.
Well, I agree partially ...

I also went back to beta2 now which is 20180910. It's back to status quo now. As I said, I noticed a slowdown when trying Leia builds for the first time coming from Kodi 17.6.

I created a test structure using a script, which is just creating dirs numbered 1,2,3 .... 

Did a test with 3000 subdirs in a directory named "Video" and it takes about 1 minute for Kodi 18 beta 2 just to list the directory. With 17.6 its listed within 1-2 seconds. So something definitely changed in general with Kodi 18 which is slowing down dir listing if a large number of directories or maybe files are present.
I do have the same behaviour (with TVShows; mysql-videodb + nfs-share) in omsc in all kodi 18 builds after 10th Sep..
Fix seems to have been merged:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14456

thx @Rechi
the fix was added to latest Millhouse build and issue has not been fixed according to 2 people who have tried it.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14418/...r219587203
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Damned, I didn't see ksooos comment before ... at least I know how to bisect now ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow directory listing0