v18 Library fetching at load and no visualizations during a mixed playlist
Using kodi 18, beta 2 64 bit (non windows store version) on windows 10 I load a mixed playlist containing music files and music videos.

When I open the playlist I get a screen "fetching information" even though all items are in the library/libraries already.

After a music video when a music file is next in the playlist the screen goes black and only music can be heard. In Krypton the music visualization and "music information" (hope it's the correct word, what shows music title etc) kicked in.

Here is a log:

https://pastebin.com/0c0Raccv
I'll see if I can reproduce this behaviour. Which nav screen are you using to view/open the mixed playlist - music or video?

Lack of music viz after playing a music video, sounds vaguely like something I should know about already. Maybe  the player guys will recognise that issue.

@DarkHelmet do you know if this is new to beta2 in particular, or just different from generally earlier v18?
The "fetching information" screen when opening a mixed playlist was around in Krypton already, I was just too lazy to report it. I have the feeling the music video files in the list are "fetched". I access the playlist through the music library.

Mixed playlists worked flawlessly in Krypton and if my memory does not trick me in some Leia nightlies too. It's not just a lack of visualizations, the screen is just black, as if a video is played (only there is none) and not a music file.
The video player opens the second file, not the audio player.  It then disables stream #1 (because it's the embedded cover art) so effectively Kodi is playing a video with no video, just audio.

Relevant part of log starts from
Code:
09:47:11.169 T:5716   DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers(smb://NAS-SERVER/Qmultimedia/MP3/ZZZZ Compilations/Charts/German Top 100 Single Charts 15.04.2013/008 - Onerepublic - If I lose myself.mp3)
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Sounds right to describe what I'm seeing.
Well guys I'm seeing some very odd behaviour with playback of mixed playlists in v18 master. I suspect that the changes made at the beginning of the year to the way the app layer handles playback were made without considering mixed playlists. I am trying to figureout how the new asynchronous design is supposed to work, but it is not my area of expertise.

Perhaps you could confirm some of the things I'm seeing:

Without viz enabled, and hitting next to move between items, the last frame of the music video gets left on screen while the later songs are played.

Natural flow though the playlist does not work. It plays the songs until it gets to the first music video, and then skips the rest without playback. Next/prev item things playback OK.
Correct, after a music video if a music file comes up next, the last video frame is stuck and the music from the music file plays.

The behaviour after a music file if a music video would have been next was like this: The audio of the music video is playing, the screen shows the name of the music file second after that music video though (plus lyrics through a lyrics plugin) as if it was a music file.

Music file: Sia - Cheap Thrills (playing normally)
Music video: William/Britney Spears - Scream & Shout (only audio, screen says "Donna Summer - Hot Stuff is playing though)
==> Skip to next song via remote
Music file: Onerepublic - If I Lose Myself. (does not get played)
Music file: Donna Summer - Hot Stuff (does not get played too but was displayed as playing during the britney spears music video)
Music video: Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still gets played normally (audio and video)

For comparison purposes here is a log with kodi leia

https://pastebin.com/nLCaw8GR

I also tested in Krypton beta 1. Same behaviour as in beta 2
Is there a way to access Leia Alphas? I think it was still working on one of these. If it's helpful I could do some further testing.
@DarkHelmet for interest the alpha builds are all here.

As best I can tell mixed playlists are already broken in alpha1, it was working in Leia at the end of 2017 (I had an old build I could try), but problems start in January 2018. There have been a number of fixes since to the playback control changes made then, and clearly more is needed!

The logs you posts the same, both beta2, and I'm confused what you were intending to offer for comparison purposes. I edited "Krypton" assuming Beta1 was Leia, but still not sure. There is also a lot happening there with addons and JSON calls etc. Could be better to try a fresh test install, default skin, no addons etc. - I'm not saying they cause the issue, just make it harder to see what is happening.

You still seem to get slightly different playlist behaviour from what I have experienced in Beta2 - playback not happening after "next" action. What happens if you just play the mixed .m3u without skipping tracks?
Sorry, mixed up the pastes to pastebin.

Here is Leia Krypton 17.6 log  https://pastebin.com/HYKtvSAw

JSON calls are likely from my android remote. I know my install is a mess, just never found the time to clean it up really :/
*Sigh* and I mix up Krypton and Leia haha. I shouldn't do this in between things. I'll see through my addons and see which ones I don't need anymore to come up with cleaner logs. Also I think all these streaming plugins (amazon, spotify, netflix etc. clutter the logs).
Here are some new logs with Leia Beta 2

Playlist looks like this:
1. Nancy Sinatra - These Boots (music video)
2. Calvin Harris - Feel So Close (mp3)
3. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (mp3)
4. Sia - Cheap Thrills (mp3)
5. Britney Spears/William - Scream & Shout (music video)
6. Onerepublic - If I Lose Myself (mp3)
7. Donna Summer - Hot Stuff (music video)
8. Portugal.The Man - Feel It Still (music video)
9. Rihanna - Only Girl In The World (mp3)
10. Macklemore - Thrift Shop (music video)
11. Rihanna - SOS (mp3)
12. Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For (mp3)

First log: First item picked to start is Nancy Sinatra - These Boots (music video), next three music files are played (audio only, last video frame of the last music video are displayed), music video Britney Spears gets played (audio and video), next music song gets played (audio only, last frame of music video is frozen)

Log: https://pastebin.com/8xgEft9j

Second log: First item to play is Onerepublic - If I Lose Myself (mp3), after that Donna Summer - Hot Stuff music video is playing but only audio!, on the screen it says Rihanna - Only Girl in the world is playing with Rihanna fanart etc., after that music video Portugal.The man - Feel it Still is playing but only audio, screen shows a thumbnail from the video and the raw file name Portugal.The Man - Feel It Still.mp4, after that music file Rihanna - Only Girl In The World is played correctly, audio and "normal" music screen (meaning no frozen video frame), after that music video Macklemore - Thrift Shop is playing but only audio (screen shows Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For is playing)

Log: https://pastebin.com/V10S8Eag
Third log: First Item is again Onerepublic - If I Lose Myself (mp3), after that I see Portugal.The Man - Feel It Still and Macklemore - Thrift Shop displayed on the screen, for some seconds, then Rihanna - Only Girl In The World is playing (mp3) with "normal" music screen (I did not press skip though or anything), after that Macklemore - Thrift shop music video is playing but only audio, screen shows Rihanna - SOS as playing, after that Rihanna - SOS (mp3) is playing audio but screen says Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For is playing

https://pastebin.com/fLdNJPzE

Edit: tried to reproduce this ^ several times with no success. Behaviour was always like described in log two and not like here.
Fourth log, had a hunch what I could try. With this log crossfading for music is disabled, it was set to five seconds before.

First item is again Onerepublic - If I Lose Myself (mp3), after that Rihanna - Only Girl (mp3) is playing with correct music screen (two music videos that would have been next were just omitted), after that Rihanna - SOS is playing with correct music screen (the following music video was omitted again).

Log: https://pastebin.com/L2uJy4EK

Fifth log (again crossfading disabled).

First item is Nancy Sinatra - These Boots (music video), next Calvin Harris - Feel So Close (mp3) is playing (audio only, last frame from video is frozen), next Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (mp3) is playing audio only, video frame still frozen, next Sia - Cheap Thrills (mp3) playing still with video frame frozen, next music video Britney Spears is playing correctly audio and video, next Onerepublic - If I Lose Myself (mp3) is playing audio only, video frame frozen, next Donna Summer music video is playing correctly audio and video, next Portugal.The Man music video is playing correctly, next Rihanna - Only Girl (mp3) is playing audio with video frame frozen

https://pastebin.com/Nbm8fNEA

So it seems to make a difference if the first item to start the playlist with is a music file or a music video file and crossfade seems to make a difference only if the first item is a music file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library fetching at load and no visualizations during a mixed playlist0