v18 Library fetching at load and no visualizations during a mixed playlist
Here is a log but I don't let the songs finish to the end, I press "skip" instead. All files are played correctly then. So whatever is causing the behaviour seems to be happening when the end of a file is reached/the next file begins. When I press skip it also makes no difference if the first file was a music file or music video. Also crossfading on or off makes no difference then. All files are played correctly.

https://pastebin.com/ePuyVQWw
Crossfading disabled:

Onerepublic If I lose myself mp3 (correctly played to the end)
(Donna Summer gets omitted)
Portugal.The Man music video (audio only, screen looks like music screen)
==>skip
Macklemore - Thrift Shop music video (correctly)
Rihanna - SOS (correctly)

https://pastebin.com/tiXBLPLJ

Crossfading enabled

Onerepublic If I lose myself mp3 (correctly played to the end)
Donna Summer music video (audio only, screen says Rihanna - Only Girl In The world is playing)
==>skip
(Portugal.The Man gets omitted)
Macklemore - Thrift Shop music video (correctly)
==> skip
Rihanna - SOS (correctly)
==>skip
Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For

https://pastebin.com/F0TWEW8u

Crossfading disabled:
Nancy Sinatra music video (correctly until the end)
Calvin Harris (audio only, frozen video screen)
==>skip
Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (correctly playing with correct music screen)
==skip
Sia - Cheap Thrills (correctly playing with correct music screen)
==skip
Britney Spears music video correctly playing
==skip
Onerepublic music file playing correctly
==>skip
Donna Summer music video playing correctly

https://pastebin.com/BAsskfYk

Crossfading enabled:
Nancy Sinatra music video (correctly until the end)
Calvin Harris (audio only, frozen video screen)
==>skip
Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (audio, music screen showing but no fanart or cover showing)
==> skipping is not working anymore, nothing happens when pressed
playlist just ends after playback

https://pastebin.com/xpM62nfp

I remember from troubleshooting mixed playlists in a previous version that the crossfading function played some role in it if I remember correctly.
I tested all these scenarios in Krypton too and all files play correctly there.
Just fyi, no difference in Leia Beta 3. Didn't expect it but for completeness sake.
It seems like mixed smart playlist works as expected in Win32 x64 alpha3.  Music songs play in music viz and musicvideos play in videoplayer.  Musicplaylist shows all items in the mixed playlist and videoplaylist just shows ".." when a musicvideo is playing (Player.HasVideo).  I've never experimented with cross fade so don't know without testing how it worked in the past.

update:  some real quick testing I think something changed between 0731 and 0806.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2018-10-03, 05:02)scott967 Wrote: It seems like mixed smart playlist works as expected in Win32 x64 alpha3.  Music songs play in music viz and musicvideos play in videoplayer.  Musicplaylist shows all items in the mixed playlist and videoplaylist just shows ".." when a musicvideo is playing (Player.HasVideo).  I've never experimented with cross fade so don't know without testing how it worked in the past.

update:  some real quick testing I think something changed between 0731 and 0806.

scott s.
Can't confirm. I tested Leia Alpha3 and and Alpha1. I get the same behaviour as currently with Beta2 and Beta3.
I think what I've seen (the change between 0731 and 0806) is just one symptom of something deeper that changed earlier.  I need a more disciplined test methodology.

scott s.
OK I did bunch of testing with some windows builds I have laying around.  My testing methodology was start a mixed smartplaylist by uisng the <p>lay action in the music window playlists node.  When playing started I accepted fullscreenvideo window (auto launches if musicvideo is the first item in the musicplaylist) or tabbed into visualisation (if song is the first item in the list).  I tested mixed playlist where a song was the first item, and also when a musicvideo was the first item.  I also tabbed out of visualisation/full screen video and opened musicplaylist window, but was always in visualisation/full screen video when the playing item ended, next item stated.

Of the builds I have, 18 A1 171225 x86 was the last one that seemed to work correctly.  18 A1 180106 x86 exhibited the error in that:

1.  When the first item in the mixed playlist was a musicvideo, when the item ended and the next item was a song, the song would play in videoplayer (Player.HasVideo is true).  A frame from the preceding musicvideo was displayed in full screen video window.  Using the <y> key (choose player) I was given the options of PAPlayer (default) and videoplayer.  If I selected PAPlayer the song would switch to visualisation window and start playing in PAPlayer (Player.HasAudio is true).

2.  When the first item in the mixed playlist was a song, when the item ended and the next item was a musicvideo, the musicvideo would play (audio track only of course) in PAPlayer and visualisation window was available.  Using the <y> key (choose player) the only option was videoplayer.  Selecting that caused playback to end.

It's getting late.  Tomorrow I will pull a couple logs from the 180106 build.  I also have an 180106 x64 build I can try but don't think that will make any difference.

Update:

I looked at some logs.  The playlist is song song musicvideo song song musicvideo musicvideo ...

In both instances CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers process the first song and finds PAPlayer and VideoPlayer
A PAPlayer thread is started and the first two items (songs) are played and the PAPlayer thread exits

CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers is called again for the 3rd item (musicvideo)and again VideoPlayer and PAPlayer are found.

This is where the logs diverge.

In 171225 next is logged VideoPlayer::Openfile: videodb://musicvideos/titles/36?xsp={...}

While in 180106 instead a new PAPlayer thread is started, and that thread just does "Playback started" then OnPlayBackEnded" and terminates.
Things get a bit squirrelly after that as the next item is a song but again the PAPlayer thread starts and exits immediately.  Same thing for the next item, also a song, and again the next several items, musicvideos.  Finally on a musicvideo item (9th in the list) when the PAPlayer thread starts, it actually starts playback of a musicvideo.

Kodi 18 171225

Kodi 18 180106

Update 2:  It seems like PR#13301 touches the code during the 25 Dec - 06 Jan timeframe.

scott s.
Guys thanks for trying to trace the cause of the issue. The problems do indeed start from PR13301, but I think there are other later changes that have effects too.

Beta3 still has problems, I was unable to come up with a fix in the time available, but it does have some changes that will effect this mixed playlist regression (PR14478 - a fix for game launch bug, that solves a bigger issue!). I think this does improve things, but is not the whole cure.

It is not so much about viz failing (that is a side effect), but that the natural flow though the playlist, as opposed to skipping with next/prev, is not working on mixed playlists. I think the player swapping and clean up is getting things wrong now that it happens asynchronously, so timing could also play a part (and makes locating the issue harder). Sometimes the video player is left to play audio, which it can do but you don't get a viz. Othertimes things don't play at all because they get stopped before they start.

I hope some other team members will advise how the new asynchoronous application control of the player design was intended to work, because just following the code in debug what I see makes no sense to me.
Thanks for getting back, Dave. If there is some testing to do, say a word.
(2018-10-05, 15:25)DaveBlake Wrote: Guys thanks for trying to trace the cause of the issue. The problems do indeed start from PR13301, but I think there are other later changes that have effects too.

Beta3 still has problems, I was unable to come up with a fix in the time available, but it does have some changes that will effect this mixed playlist regression (PR14478 - a fix for game launch bug, that solves a bigger issue!). I think this does improve things, but is not the whole cure.

It is not so much about viz failing (that is a side effect), but that the natural flow though the playlist, as opposed to skipping with next/prev, is not working on mixed playlists. I think the player swapping and clean up is getting things wrong now that it happens asynchronously, so timing could also play a part (and makes locating the issue harder). Sometimes the video player is left to play audio, which it can do but you don't get a viz. Othertimes things don't play at all because they get stopped before they start.

I hope some other team members will advise how the new asynchoronous application control of the player design was intended to work, because just following the code in debug what I see makes no sense to me.
Agreed, I see issues with videoplayer playing things I think PAPlayer should be playing ( as they are audio only).  Perhaps @fritsch and @FernetMenta will be able to shed some light on this, being the foremost audio and video devs (yeah, I am creeping here lol ).

Irrespective, due to testing some other stuff, I now have a clean install from master with no video or music database sources. I've got music-videos and straight audio only (in multiple formats) available so can test pretty much any scenario should you need it.  Debug logs always available Wink
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I was playing around with playercorefactory rules to try to force mp4 to use videoplayer and mp3 to use paplayer, but it seems like the defaults are hard-coded.

scott s.
Looks like a fix is on the way, for anyone interested https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14525

A Windows test build will be on the way once our build servers have done their thing. If anyone wants to test with anything other than Windows then please say.
Builds containing fix.

Windows 64 bit test build http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windo...ge-x64.exe

Windows 32 bit test build http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windo...ge-x86.exe
I installed these builds.

If I start a mixed playlist with a music video, playback just stops if a music file is next.

https://pastebin.com/Cj7KWcyY

Here I start it with a music file, the following music video (Donna Summer) of the playlist gets omitted and the one after that starts playing.

https://pastebin.com/cvLUaUYK

Edit: The logs look kinda weird to me, if I read them correctly, they show different tracks being played than I really played. Don't know why yet. I'll come up with more later.
Edit 2: They are correct now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library fetching at load and no visualizations during a mixed playlist0