Where is my bottleneck?
I'm having issues streaming 4k MKV movies from my NAS to my TV. I'm seeing stuttering, issues with sound not playing, and freezing. I'm wondering what I need to do in order to fix this. 

My setup:
NAS: WD my cloud ex2
TV: Sony x900e

I am using ethernet on my TV, not Wifi. I'm using the Kodi app on my TV. 
Kinda bare on the details here, but let me know what other information is needed and I'll provide it. 
Thanks for the help.
I see a lot of recommendations for the Nvidia Shield, would that solve my issues?
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2018-09-27, 20:39)RayRayerino Wrote: I'm having issues streaming 4k MKV movies from my NAS to my TV. I'm seeing stuttering, issues with sound not playing, and freezing. I'm wondering what I need to do in order to fix this. 

My setup:
NAS: WD my cloud ex2
TV: Sony x900e

I am using ethernet on my TV, not Wifi. I'm using the Kodi app on my TV. 
Kinda bare on the details here, but let me know what other information is needed and I'll provide it. 
Thanks for the help.
Your bottleneck is 100M / Fast Ethernet only that your TV has, Smart TV's all have the same limitations, and are unsuitable for high bitrate 4K Rips streaming from a NAS.

You need Gigabit Ethernet or a directly connected Hard Drive.

Personally I would get a dedicated and optimised, Gigabit equipped, LibreELEC / OSMC Kodi device for SDR / 4K HDR Kodi usage and use the Sony TV for only relatively low bitrate, copy protected video streaming Apps.

Otherwise have fun dealing with Color output issues when using mixed SDR / HDR content on a Shield.

wrxtasy, thank you for that reply. The problems that I was having definitely make sense now. I went to the store yesterday and bought an Nvidia Shield, but as you warned and upon further reading I'm seeing it might not be the best solution due to color issues, but it definitely does perform well in terms of smooth playback. 

I'm now considering returning the Shield and getting a Vero 4k+ instead, would that be a wise option? 
I'm looking for simplicity and quality in terms of image quality, playback, and speed. Cost is something I'm willing to splurge on as long as it meets my needs. 
I'm spending my morning trying to research as much as I can about different streaming platforms through the posts you've created and other sources online, it's pretty overwhelming.
See how you go with the Shield and see if it meets your Plug n Play, set and forget requirements for mixed SDR and 4K HDR usage without visual color problems when switching between content viewing. There is nothing worse long term then having to continually fiddle with device settings all the time on any media player to get correct picture outputs.

The OSMC Vero 4K+ is virtually Plug n Play these days with a lot of work now going into HDR support for problematic 4K HDR content playback.
The Apple TV 4K is "Set and Forget" with some nice tvOS features for Frame Rate and Dynamic Range Matching, all it lacks it Atmos audio passthrough for Bluray Rips.

I use a LibreELEC Kodi - MINIX U9 a lot because it fast, smooth and comes with a Man Sized, Wireless Mini keyboard remote. Kodi keyboard shortcuts come in real handy after long term Kodi usage. Smile
I place a Lot of importance on integrated remotes.

Thanks for all of your help wrxtasy!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where is my bottleneck?0