Linux DVD Menus are blank, but audio plays?
I'm using Openelec (I'm uncertain which version of Kodi this uses, but it's not the current build) and for a while now I've had a persistent problem.

When I play a DVD\ISO ripped from a DVD that I legally own, the very first DVD menu (The one with the play movie button on it) is totally blank. If there is background music on the menu it plays as normal. But nothing is displayed on screen. After the music has looped around once the menu will play. Which is really frustrating when you have a movie with a 2-3 minute looping sound track on the first menu. Moving from the DVD menu to other menus is OK, and moving back to the main menu is OK. But if I play the feature and try to get back to the main menu then it's blank again.

If there are FBI anti piracy messages or ads before the main menu, then these play as normal, but go to the black screen with music.

When the screen is black I can't fast forward or skip to other tracks, and if I use the DVD menu button on the Kodi menu it just takes me back to the beginning of the black screen.

If I'm playing videos that don't have menus then everything plays as normal.

I'm either using regular DVDs or DVDs that I legally own ripped using DVD Shrink.

This problem doesn't effect every movie that I have, some are new and some are old, and it's effecting movies that used to be OK, so it seems to be a playback problem not a ripping problem.

This problem started after I brought a new media center PC, and did a fresh install of Openelec. So I don't know what settings are different from before as I started from scratch with a vanilla install.

I know that Openelec is outdated, but I have a custom ambient lighting system that I'm really attached to, and it was an absolute pain to set up, and I don't want to have to start again on another platform which it might not run with at all, so I'd like to fix this rather than try another OS\build.
I have the same problem with Kodi v17.6. It has been fixed in v18. See https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17299
Does it say anywhere what's causing it. I don't know if I can update my version of Kodi without breaking other stuff as I'm using Openelec.
I don't know the answer to that (maybe somebody else does). HOWEVER, according to post #9 in this thread  303932 (thread), the problem didn't exist in Kodi v16, if that's an option for you.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Archive:OpenELEC
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD Menus are blank, but audio plays?0