Python Fails to Initialize [Crash]
I've had this problem for a awhile now and I would like to attempt to get to the bottom of it.

First off, I run Arch Linux not Ubuntu, so please don't hurt me Smile. I compile xbmc fairly regularly with no problems except this one (details following). I am not really sure how to debug it anymore than I have since xbmc.log is unhelpful in this case.

The Initial Problem:
Arch Linux' default python24 package is compiled with --enable-unicode flag. This makes the python24-i486-linux.so fail to initialize when xbmc is started:
(
DEBUG: Loading: /usr/share/xbmc/system/python/python24-i486-linux.so
WARNING: Unable to resolve: python24-i486-linux.so PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUnicode, reason: /usr/share/xbmc/system/python/python24-i486-linux.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUnicode
FATAL: Python: error loading python24.dll
)

Everything in xbmc works great except the Python scripts in this case, which don't work at all.

The New Problem:
Now if I recompile python24 to better support unicode --enable-unicode=ucs4 or --enable-unicode=ucs2, I no longer have a problem with undefinied symbols in my python. However, xbmc will crash immediately upon start.

I've provided what logs and debugging i can below

xbmc.log : http://zeqadious.homelinux.net/junkbin/x...n/xbmc.log
gdb trace : http://zeqadious.homelinux.net/junkbin/x...n/xbmc.gdb

Anyone have an idea on what is going on here? Or what next steps I should attempt to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help!
Zeq
We can't really be arsed to support other distros. That being said it runs fine on Gentoo Wink

Have you tried disabling unicode entirely?
I have not in fact removed unicode support completely. I was under the impression that it needed it for some reason. I'll try that next. Thanks for the suggestion.

Zeq
Solved! The final solution was not disabling unicode in this case however. I ended up copying the configure flags from Ubuntu and compiling a temporary Python that I then compiled xbmc against. The resulting xbmc works perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion Al, as its what made me start checking Ubuntu's build closer.

Zeq

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Python Fails to Initialize [Crash]0