Nvidia Shield TV - Leia Beta 3 - HDR not working with auto refresh/res switch.
Since updating to Leia Beta 3, HDR is no longer working correctly on my Nvidia Shield. When using the resolution/refresh whitelist, if I play a HDR movie I notice that my TV briefly shows HDR is being sent before the refresh rate changes and then HDR is no longer working. If I disable refresh rate changing, then HDR works. If I play the movie 20+ times maybe once HDR will kick in even with the refresh rate change.

Previously I was using Leia Beta 1 and 2 without any issue, HDR was working fine when changing refresh rate.

Here is a log: https://paste.kodi.tv/zuqubiwalo

First play of Cars 3 switched into HDR fine, subsequent attempts failed.

Edit: I've done some further testing and the issue is there in Beta 1/2 but just happens far less often. It looks to me like sometimes when you start a video that the HDR metadata is sent to the TV before the video has actually started and then the resolution change happens and HDR does not kick in. I can see it happen because my TV will show UHD/HDR for like 1 second and the current 2160P/60 res, then switch to 2160/24hz but no HDR.

Beta 1/2: Maybe 10% of the time HDR does not work after the refresh rate change.
Beta 3/newest nightlies : 95% of the time HDR does not work after the refresh rate change.
Experiencing exactly the same. With "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" enabled, HDR content playback will not switch into HDR mode.
Same content will switch into HDR mode correctly with the function disabled.

Tested on Leia beta 3 and latest nighly.
Yes, same issue here on my Nvidia Shield but may be I'm more lucky then you... first attempt fail, second one HDR is OK......
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
TV: Panasonic TX-55EZ950E (OLED)
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR509 (HDMI ARC)
I have same issue and came from alpha which didn't have issue, or only occurred 5% of time now to 95% of time with the beta. It's to do with the timing between starting a video and image appearing, so the auto-refresh feature takes longer now. My LG C8 tv doesn't get an image in time so it disables HDR even though it enables HDR when I start the video.

I found a work around which is to start a video, skip to a few minutes into the movie, then stop. Resume the movie from last stop position and image comes up quicker and HDR sticks.
No problems on my LG/Shield. Do you have 'Delay after change of refresh rate' disabled?
no it's enabled with 4s delay. I thought this was recommended to avoid audio sync issues?
Yes, I've been experiencing the same as well!
To fix it, I stop the film, then restart the film.
Sometimes, I have to reboot my AVR to fix this.
(2018-10-11, 07:21)Hitcher Wrote: No problems on my LG/Shield. Do you have 'Delay after change of refresh rate' disabled?
0 sec or 2 sec of delay it's the same
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
TV: Panasonic TX-55EZ950E (OLED)
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR509 (HDMI ARC)
Kindly, could a developer comment on this issue? Have you been able to identify the problem?
This issue is really a nuissance since beta 3.
Many thanks in advance!
I've tried changing 'Delay after refresh' between 0.5s all the way up to 10s and it makes no difference. I've done extensive testing using several different TV's with the Shield connected directly and the issue persists. 
Up to Leia Beta 2, HDR fails to engage maybe 5-10% of the time and simply restarting the video will fix it. From Beta 3, I can only get HDR to work maybe 5% of the time at best.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336422

fastest workaround enable and disable pathrough while playing movie (set it as Key wit keymap add-on) or use Kodi 17.6 ;-( or try die disable 23,976  in whitelist ;-(
TVHeadend 4.2 (libreelec) on Intel DH77EB, Intel G1610 CPU, 4GB RAM ,Corsair 4GB, 4 DVB-C Tuner L4M-Flex + Twin CT. Qnap TVS-873 per NFS als Aufnahmefreigabe. HDMI HTPC -> Denon AVR-4300H -> LG 65B6D
Client: Kodi Leia on Shield 16GB Client: RP2 Libreelec Kodi Leia
I wouldn't call that a fix but a workaround, and an annoying one which shouldn't be required in the first place because the issue wasn't as prevalent before Beta 3.
(2018-10-16, 01:29)fezza Wrote: I wouldn't call that a fix but a workaround, and an annoying one which shouldn't be required in the first place because the issue wasn't as prevalent before Beta 3.
 I totally agree ... hope it could be fixed until final release ...
TVHeadend 4.2 (libreelec) on Intel DH77EB, Intel G1610 CPU, 4GB RAM ,Corsair 4GB, 4 DVB-C Tuner L4M-Flex + Twin CT. Qnap TVS-873 per NFS als Aufnahmefreigabe. HDMI HTPC -> Denon AVR-4300H -> LG 65B6D
Client: Kodi Leia on Shield 16GB Client: RP2 Libreelec Kodi Leia
(2018-10-12, 21:57)Onbekend Wrote: Kindly, could a developer comment on this issue? Have you been able to identify the problem?
This issue is really a nuissance since beta 3.
Many thanks in advance!
 Have you logged the bug on the Bug Tracker?

I couldn't see one, there are no Android developers in the team (unless one has joined in the last few months), so you might be lucky and one of them happens to see this thread but the forum is not really the place to be reporting bugs; discussing them yes, reporting them no.

If there is no report on the bug tracker then I suggest you log one, the developers are much more likely to see it and possibly respond to it on there than they are on here.
It was already mentioned this was a known issue in of the other threads. You just need to wait.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield TV - Leia Beta 3 - HDR not working with auto refresh/res switch.2