• 74(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2020-08-19, 09:45)fritsch Wrote: I got it on one of my firetv sticks. I made a short test with 1080i50 h264 -> works okayish. I tested N24 with a running text and that looks properly deinterlaced.

Well thats promising.
With that fixed, for the price, I think that makes the stick a great value Kodi device.

The 'okayish' comment interests me, are u suggesting something's still not quite right?
Hehe - you spotted it :-)

In fact before I used the FireTV I invested roughly 8 years of my life into the Linux platform, e.g. VAAPI with their hw deinterlacers mcdi, madi, etc. and perfect PTS to Display. I chose those samples - and yeah quality wise on a high level :-) VAAPI and the Renderer rocks more. You can see that with "scrolling text" in news channels - a very, very tiny stutter ... but that's the same on shield and every other Android device - so judge with your own eyes.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-08-19, 13:58)fritsch Wrote: Hehe - you spotted it :-)

a very, very tiny stutter ... but that's the same on shield and every other Android device - so judge with your own eyes.

I will if I ever get the update mate!

2 sticks here, one 18 months old, one only a few weeks old...neither have got the update yet.
(2020-08-19, 11:52)gb160 Wrote:
(2020-08-19, 09:45)fritsch Wrote: I got it on one of my firetv sticks. I made a short test with 1080i50 h264 -> works okayish. I tested N24 with a running text and that looks properly deinterlaced.

Well thats promising.
With that fixed, for the price, I think that makes the stick a great value Kodi device.
It's always been not just great but the very best value at the $24.99 price. To this day I see people still dealing with Chinese Android boxes they got for way more and don't perform any better than the 4K stick. They are always amazed that I am able to play everything with just one stick behind the TV.

I just checked and no update for me either so you're not alone. It always takes a while for these updates to roll out.
(2020-08-19, 16:00)Kodroid Wrote:
(2020-08-19, 11:52)gb160 Wrote:

Well thats promising.
It's always been not just great but the very best value at the $24.99 price. To this day I see people still dealing with Chinese Android boxes they got for way more and don't perform any better than the 4K stick. They are always amazed that I am able to play everything with just one stick behind the TV.

I just checked and no update for me either so you're not alone. It always takes a while for these updates to roll out.

Oh don't get me wrong its always been good value, but due to the 1080i issue that only just been addressed, I've always had to have another device just for live TV.
Once I get this update I can pretty much retire the other device now.
I know Fritch mentioned the longstanding Android HW issue, but as long as the deinterlacing is working then I'm confident I'll be happy with it.

For the money, Netflix and Prime Video in 4K, plus Kodi with all its bells and whistles it's an absolute steal.
What's the android HW issue?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-08-19, 16:49)fritsch Wrote: What's the android HW issue?

Sorry, meant Android deinterlacing issue....the micro stutter.
Just updated and so far so good, probably psychosomatic but it seems to be running much speedier. Could all be in my mind but definitely seems snappier. Time to finally update Kodi.
Hi,
I am using fritschfiretv 18.8.  I am having buffering issues with files that are using True HD audio and DTS-HD. I am using an older vizio tv with optical out with a 2.1 vizio sound bar. The tv has dolby digital and pcm audio selections. The sound bar will do dolby digital. I have pass thru enabled with dolby digital enabled. I have tried numerous combo. I am 5ghz wireless. I have the firestick 4k set to dolby digital.

When I hook up my older non 4k firestick to the same tv and soundbar the files play with no issue.

Also if I run the files thru handbrake with the amazon setting and go to AC3 I have no issues.

Any help would be appreciated.
Can you post a sample of such a file? Just long enough so that I can try to reproduce the stuter.

With my files I tried (speakers 2.0 AC3 enable and Dolby Transcoding enabled) so that DTS-HD-MA and TrueHD is transcoded to AC3. I don't have any buffering.
(2020-08-20, 19:52)fritsch Wrote: Can you post a sample of such a file? Just long enough so that I can try to reproduce the stuter.

With my files I tried (speakers 2.0 AC3 enable and Dolby Transcoding enabled) so that DTS-HD-MA and TrueHD is transcoded to AC3. I don't have any buffering.

Thank you. Where do you want me to post the files?
Well I finally got 6.2.7.3 on one of my sticks.
So far so good with the 1080i issue, been watching the problematic Freeview channels all morning and the issue has been resolved.

And I cant even see this micro-stutter that @fritsch mentions, I think maybe my eyes aren't cultured enough to see it!
@fritsch one very slight issue, I have a few recordings made from FTA channels from last summer that dont seem to be de-interlaced when playing back.
I've checked them on a vero4k+ and that de-interlaces them fine.

Any ideas?
@gb160 great for live tv. For the recordings: Many ideas. But won't post one without your Debug Log and a sample. Also check if playing from files makes a difference.

@blamman wherever you want.
(2020-08-21, 18:34)fritsch Wrote: @gb160 great for live tv. For the recordings: Many ideas. But won't post one without your Debug Log and a sample. Also check if playing from files makes a difference.

@blamman wherever you want.

Playing from files shows the same behaviour mate.
Debug Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfu4f6tvhln9rh4/kodi.log?dl=0
Sample: https://www.dropbox.com/s/081asm3dqptm11...le.ts?dl=0

Thanks for taking a look.
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3