• 6(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2018-11-13, 23:07)hdmkv Wrote: One thing that’s better on FTV is Amazon’s own Prime content. On Shield, 24p content plays at 60, but FTV plays them at 24.

Pretty certain that TVHZ (which offers 2 x 24p settings - one for 23.976?) and nVIdia system settings both let you switch the output to 24/23.976p? I've not noticed that on Netflix or Amazon Prime TV on my Shield TV. When I select 23.976p output that's what I get in Amazon Prime last time I checked (though I use my Apple TV 4K for most UHD Netflix/Amazon viewing as I prefer the UI)

Are you saying Amazon Prime video switches it back to 60.00Hz? Or are you just pointing out that the Shield TV doesn't auto-switch?   AIUI the Amazon Fire TV needs apps to drive refresh-rate switching (rather than auto switching at the OS level) but it will do it if apps are written accordingly.
(2018-11-14, 08:28)Vlaves Wrote: Could someone test deinterlacing of 1080i h264 streams? It would be THE missing feature me. Bought the FTV 3 as I thought deinterlacing will be there with the amlogic chip, but it wasn‘t. So really curious if the new Stick is able to do it?

Courtesy of @fritsch

h.264 1080i50: http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/..._h264-2.ts
mpeg2 576i50: http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/...samples.ts
h.264 720p50: http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/720p50_h264.mp4

They might not work if your USA centric TV's have no 50Hz mode.

There is always this one as well:
h.264 1080i/29.970 (click)

I tested fritsch's 29.97 interlaced sample (my TV does not support 50 Hz) and it does not play - loading icon just spins. This is on latest Leia beta.
The 1080i won't play, the rest of them are fine. 18b5.
Same for me, the 1080i50 sample won't start.

I can play 1080i live TV (SKY Germany), but without deinterlacing the quality is quiet poor.
Noggin would likely know more - but is Broadcast - ATSC TV in USA - mostly only 480/1080i MPEG2 encoded anyway ?
(Satellite would be different)
1080i h264 support in that broadcast case would not be needed in the USA.

European and Australasia - broadcast TV users will run into troubled however if using this stick for TV.

Amazon specifically included hardware-accelerated MPEG2 video support in the new Fire TV Stick 4K this time around.

(2018-11-13, 22:37)rwijnhov Wrote: I am really debating to return my shield TV and get 2 of these. What would you do?
I have both the fire stick 4K and a Shield - i’d say now there’s really no reason to pay the much higher price for the Shield unless you plan on using their gaming service too.

Basically prior to this new fire stick or the AppleTv 4K Shield was king but everyone else has caught up now so no reason to pay $180 when a $40 device accomplishes the same thing.
Hi been struggling for a little while on this and need help. Just replaced my old fire stick with a 2018 4K model. Had issues with the current version of kodi when trying to play local 4K remux content. Luckily stumbled on this thread and updated to 18.5 leia. I then whitelisted all framerates and kept on 60fps for default.

Most content seems to play but I have noticed on some films it stops / stutters / pauses and caches... cant seem to find a common denominator

Settings are set to 7.1 passthrough and Dolby / Dolby plus and dts all set to off

Any help greatly apppreciated

Examples of recent files I’ve have issues with are I am legend - FGT / Hancock - Framestor (files to the left are purely for test purposes)

Sad

EDIT:
Removed any whitelisting and it seems to have done the trick.... both files now seem to stream without issue. Need more testing I think will let you know

EDIT 2:
Nope still happening at random... not really sure what to do next
(2018-11-15, 02:26)wrxtasy Wrote: European and Australasia - broadcast TV users will run into troubled however if using this stick for TV.

Amazon specifically included hardware-accelerated MPEG2 video support in the new Fire TV Stick 4K this time around.
So this is hardware issue? No chance for a patch by Kodi?
Enabled logging on the screen and can see the FPS constantly jump between 23.4 and 24.4fps, sometimes jumping much lower / higher at times.

When it stutters I don’t see anything special on the framerate

Does this indicate possible caching or speed of data retrieval issue?

Running gig network and ugreen Ethernet adaptor

Confused.com
(2018-11-15, 14:41)reddevilmeuk Wrote: Enabled logging on the screen and can see the FPS constantly jump between 23.4 and 24.4fps, sometimes jumping much lower / higher at times.

Confused.com
 I think its probably ugreen adapter you're using that is causing the issues, despite a 10/100 ethernet connection being theoretically good enough to stream UHD Bluray remuxes I found on my Vero 4K which had a 10/100 port it would only work reliably if I used fstab or autofs mounts on the Vero, a standard SMB or NFS mount would cause the issues you describe on the 4K stick.
I do not know enough about Linux or Android/Fire OS to know if these options are available on a firestick.
If they're not it may be a GB adapter is required if such a thing exists in that form factor or others more technically adept than me may advise on how to optimise your network connection.
Can I connect a USB thumb drive to the fire stick? I like to record live TV to my USB
Thanks... anyone else having these issues or experience with a different adapter...? I have also tried amazons Ethernet adapter but get the same results...

However not all films seem to be effected, tried a few now

(2018-11-15, 17:18)stammie Wrote:
(2018-11-15, 14:41)reddevilmeuk Wrote: Enabled logging on the screen and can see the FPS constantly jump between 23.4 and 24.4fps, sometimes jumping much lower / higher at times.

Confused.com
 I think its probably ugreen adapter you're using that is causing the issues, despite a 10/100 ethernet connection being theoretically good enough to stream UHD Bluray remuxes I found on my Vero 4K which had a 10/100 port it would only work reliably if I used fstab or autofs mounts on the Vero, a standard SMB or NFS mount would cause the issues you describe on the 4K stick.
I do not know enough about Linux or Android/Fire OS to know if these options are available on a firestick.
If they're not it may be a GB adapter is required if such a thing exists in that form factor or others more technically adept than me may advise on how to optimise your network connection.
You need to use a USB3 > Gigabit adapter, like the Ugreen ones on any device if you want to even attempt to playback high bitrate 4K HDR REMUX's that inc. HD audio.

The regular 100Mbit adapters are too slow when bitrates spike beyond capacity.

I’ve had a look and don’t think they do one that fits / supports the fire stick ...? Unless I’m missing something
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3