• 12(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2018-11-23, 02:03)Sscr Wrote: I moved to a rural area and have very little internet. Could I use a new fire stick 4K with Kodi and gigabit Ethernet adapter hooked directly to my netgear NAS to stream local movies to my TV?

Would I need a router or just an Ethernet switch between the NAS and the fire sticks?

Will my files still be able to scrap for the movie posters but all the heavy lifting of the files be done on the “home network”?

As I said my internet is horrible and is just a nighthawk hotspot for my whole house. Kids want to kill me...
Internet speed has nothing to do with localstreaming. A gigabit switch and wired connections should do the trick.
hi all, I'm new to this forum. 
quick story.
I'm in uk, London and I've been using 2017 firestick since one year, the one with alexa integrated on the remote control. 
Installed Kodi ans some other apps specific for android tv, and everything run smoothly , kodi addon like covenant are working as they meant.
Yesterday I received the very new firestick 4k at 34.99 quid and soon after I installed and tried on my Hitachi 4k tv set.
Well, I installed kodi Leia Rc1 , covenant and fantastic just as test for streaming (i have got hyperoptic service at 150 Mb) with an ASUS RT-N66U  router    
Apparently all went well , movies run smoothly even at 1080 , and latency is very low. but ..
after 2 or 3 minutes every kind of stream , from 480p to 320p to 1080p stops, like unbuffered and after a while kodi die.

Tried leia beta 4 and beta 5, and also the last stable Krypton, with same results.

I have no tried with embeded prime video or music, at now I'm focused on kodi.

Any suggestions ?
I'd suggest you read the forum rules (wiki) that you accepted when you signed up here, and stop talking about banned addons (wiki).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
The general hardware specs look impressing, the current price is great.
However, what I am really missing currently, is the HD audio passthrough because my amplifier unfortunately produces noise when decoding PCM.

I think/believe that the other current issues with Kodi (4k problems) and overall issues (audio problem) might be fixed in the future by Amazon or the Kodi developers.
But is there anyone who could judge if the missing HD audio passthrough is a hardware limitation or if this is also a driver or Kodi "bug"? As PCM uses more bandwith and is working, I would not believe in a hardware bandwidth problem...

I ask because I want to invest in a kind of "future proof" device that does not need to be put in the trash after 12 months even if it is a cheap one... And yes, I know about the upcoming AV1 codec etc. ...
It's more likely a licensing constraint.
On hardware or FireOS side?
However, this would not make a difference as long as rooting and dual-booting e.g. LibreElec and FireOS is not possible...
(2018-11-22, 15:25)wrxtasy Wrote: If you are using a 100Mbps only Amazon adapter it will have insufficient bandwidth for your 58.295Mbps 4K streaming.
Any media player with only 100Mbit Ethernet would have the exact same problem with that 4K bitrate.

And we have not even considered HD audio data transfer yet either or the inefficient SMB networking protocols.

You need one of the USB3 > Gigabit Ethernet USB Hub adapters already talked about in this thread.

Really no one should be buying Amazon 100Mbit only Ethernet adapters if they are even thinking of anything to do with home networked 4K video streaming.

I had the amazon Ethernet adapter that came with the Cube lying around & tried it out - it handled any of the high bit rate 4K (with hd audio) from my NAS without any issues.
Thanks Ozkhan1! All my files are just my plain old dvd collection ripped to ISO files, no blue ray of 4K stuff, but would mind that option in the future if I pick up some used blue rays. I moved to Bowling Green KY and they still have Family Video stores here that sell second hand stuff!

I’ll pick up a couple amazon fire sticks 4K to play around with.

And all I need is a switch not a router? I ran 3000’ feet of cat6 when I built the house so that won’t be an issue with wired connections.

I’m on 8 acres for less than half the cost of my 1/4 acre back in Chicago with woods and cows for neighbors, love it. Just no internet options.
(2018-11-23, 17:53)Sscr Wrote: Thanks Ozkhan1! All my files are just my plain old dvd collection ripped to ISO files, no blue ray of 4K stuff, but would mind that option in the future if I pick up some used blue rays. I moved to Bowling Green KY and they still have Family Video stores here that sell second hand stuff!

I’ll pick up a couple amazon fire sticks 4K to play around with.

And all I need is a switch not a router? I ran 3000’ feet of cat6 when I built the house so that won’t be an issue with wired connections.

I’m on 8 acres for less than half the cost of my 1/4 acre back in Chicago with woods and cows for neighbors, love it. Just no internet options.
You would probably need a smart switch and have to assign static IP addresses to your devices in case you dont have a router or ISP. Very unique situation, but i think thats how it will work without internet service.
I don’t mind getting a router and plugging it into the hotspot.

For some reason I think if it’s plugged into the internet it will try and push the movie file through the internet as well instead of directly from the router. I’m probably wrong thinking that though...
(2018-11-23, 17:20)ukyank Wrote:
(2018-11-22, 15:25)wrxtasy Wrote:  

I had the amazon Ethernet adapter that came with the Cube lying around & tried it out - it handled any of the high bit rate 4K (with hd audio) from my NAS without any issues. 
 Can you download the video here LG Chess demo and try it from your NAS please?
I'll be very impressed if a 10/100 adapter can handle this file.
Alternatively do you have an uncompressed remux of John Wick in 4K/HDR? That movie is another good stresser of a 10/100 connection, the funeral scene or the airfield driving scene near the start of the movie should tell you if that adapter can really handle full bitrate 4K files.
So i have been playing with mine over the last few days. I picked it up at the local best buy and have yet to order the ethernet adapter with the OTG cable. Its amazing PQ for sure. I pimped it the heck out with the youtube 4k app and some other sideloads and i am really impressed. Over wifi it struggled to play some of my uncompressed blurays, which was expected.

I feel the PQ is better than the Shield, but it could be my brain deceiving me..
(2018-11-23, 18:11)Sscr Wrote: I don’t mind getting a router and plugging it into the hotspot.

For some reason I think if it’s plugged into the internet it will try and push the movie file through the internet as well instead of directly from the router. I’m probably wrong thinking that though...
Using a router would be more straightforward.  It will assign ip addresses to devices on your local network automatically, and give you the option to use wifi.  If you attach it to your hotspot (you don't have to) then you'll see a certain amount of internet traffic (eg windows updates, android / ios app updates, kodi addon updates, kodi scraping metadata but your movie files will just go from your nas to local machine (unless your setiup is really odd).
(2018-11-23, 15:02)JK1974 Wrote: I think/believe that the other current issues with Kodi (4k problems) and overall issues (audio problem) might be fixed in the future by Amazon or the Kodi developers.
Firmware is already pretty old. I'd be shocked if we don't get an update soon for the holidays.
Thanks Troggy, router sounds like the best option. Any router recommendations? Just ordered 2 fire sticks 4ks from amazon. Still need the better gigabit Ethernet adapters and I believe micro to standard USB adapters? As long as it can handle usb3 I should be okay right?
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3