• 14(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Yup smart youtube app is just astounding PQ.. try the 4k aquaman trailer.. looked great!
(2018-11-24, 20:13)DaMacFunkin Wrote: In fact beta 5 didn't work either on this particular HD Ready TV, the problem was I had manually edit the settings to limit the gui to 720, surely a virgin install should be set to a safe limit?
How did you edit this? Reinstalling does not help on my old HD Ready TV.
Set the stick up on another TV and set the resolution to 720p50hz and limit gui to 720 would be the easiest way, then plug it back into your old TV, I dumped the xml files on to my NAS with es file explorer and edited them.
I have an issue where if I use the new remote to turn my tv off and on. When it comes on I’m back on the firetv home page. I click kodi and it loads up where I was previously but there is no sound. Either in the menu or if I play anything. If I go to audio settings and change from 2.0 to anything else it works again. Or if I just close kodi and start it again.
Any suggestions?

Edit. I’m on 18 RC1
Based on previous experience what is the likelihood of Amazon fixing the 1080i h264 interlacing issue? 

What's the best way to bug Amazon about it?
(2018-11-25, 01:54)noggin Wrote: Interesting.  An early UK TV 1080i25 Blu-ray release rip (H264) is a green and flashy blocky mess on the Fire TV Stick 4.  A different, later release, 1080i25 H264 Blu-ray rip plays OK (In both cases the content is 25p - there is no intra-frame motion)

Here are my impressions of FireStick 4k 2018 on a 1080p plasma display.

- FireStick does not support Hardware Acceleration for certain video formats. I have noted the MPEG-2 videos in .VOB and .MPG containers (NTSC DVD rips) displayed as flashing green screen with Kodi v17.6 & SPMC v16.x. Another poster in previous page noticed similar issue with Divx-5 videos.  The green flashing screen disappeared when I disabled Hardware Acceleration under Kodi.  The FireStick is clearly geared towards streaming video & audio formats.

- I have noticed green pixilation and artifacts while playing high bit rate 1080p VC-1 files with high-res audio. I had few old Bluray rips with VC-1 video. The artifacts appeared both in Kodi and SPMC player. However artifacts did not appear on LibreELEC v2.8.4 (on a S905X box) so I am not sure if it is a Android, FireStick or Kodi issue.

- I can get multichannel PCM out put if I select 'fixed' audio profile under Kodi Audio settings. However I get massive 900ms audio sync lag. Other posters has also reported audio sync issue. For me the audio sync persisted both in Kodi v17.6 and SPMC v16.x

- Firestick does not support 1080i output. I have an old JVC receiver which support 1080i as highest resolution. The Firestick defaulted to 720p resolution and I could not not manually set the resolution to 1080i. However Android 7.1 and LibreELEC 2.8 on a S905X box correctly set the resolution to 1080i.
(2018-11-27, 09:17)rhoniel Wrote: - FireStick does not support Hardware Acceleration for certain video formats. I have noted the MPEG-2 videos in .VOB and .MPG containers (NTSC DVD rips) displayed as flashing green screen with Kodi v17.6 & SPMC v16.x. Another poster in previous page noticed similar issue with Divx-5 videos.  The green flashing screen disappeared when I disabled Hardware Acceleration under Kodi.  The FireStick is clearly geared towards streaming video & audio formats.

If you wanted to experiment with Kodi Leia RC and test out the FireTV Stick's CPU ponies for mpeg2 and mpeg4 content I've added hardware/software decode Kodi settings options to a test version of Kodi Leia RC2. Details in THIS post.

Will do.
I also have a new Sony TV on order so this build of 'Kodi Leia RC2' would also help with that TV.  Nod

..... and Thank You for what you do .
Just pointing people to this thread : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2795399

I've got a large collection of European 1080i25 Blu-ray TV releases ripped losslessly to folders.  These are all interlaced releases, even though many of them are of native 1080p25 content, as Blu-ray didn't include support for 1080p25 progressive in the standard (and many broadcasters master to 1080i25 treating 1080p25 as psf)...

Releases encoded MBAFF interleaved fields decode OK,  releases encoded as separate interlaced fields (which is less efficient than MBAFF, but was used on earlier H264 encoders) don't play correctly (they are a blocky mess)
(Disabling Hardware acceleration, as expected, both MBAFF and Separate Field 1080i25 rips play using software decode, but the SoC CPU can't cope with CPU decode and deinterlace and it's unwatchable.)

Native 1080p25 content (most drama and documentary) in MBAFF plays watchable OK.  Native 1080i25 (entertainment and sport) content in MBAFF decodes OK, but isn't deinterlaced in anything other than a weave as it is covered in combing on motion.

So it seems that early 1080i25 Blu-rays are a no-go, but more recent 1080i25 Blu-rays containing native 1080p25 content (which is most stuff people here buy I suspect) do play OK.
and may a note about europe livetv x264 1080i material, it plays fine in vlc with full hardware acceleration, so vlc sure does something different here ...
How can i use volumes fire stick tv 4k if i use on a pc monitor? THX
(2018-11-27, 16:04)alturismo Wrote: and may a note about europe livetv x264 1080i material, it plays fine in vlc with full hardware acceleration, so vlc sure does something different here ...
 My non-MBAFF H.264 1080i Blu-ray rips don't play in VLC on the Fire TV Stick 4K either.  However MBAFF rips do play - though without decent deinterlacing.  

MBAFF Live TV though?  Terrible.  Seldom plays at all.

(And I don't think you mean x264 Live TV unless you are in Norway or Iceland - which are the only places in Europe I know of that use the Open Source x264 encoder for Live TV encoding. The codec used for 1080i HD in Europe is H.264 aka AVC - x264 is just the name of one software encoder that generates H.264/AVC - and it's not widely used for Live TV encoding Wink )
(2018-11-28, 01:40)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-27, 16:04)alturismo Wrote: and may a note about europe livetv x264 1080i material, it plays fine in vlc with full hardware acceleration, so vlc sure does something different here ...
 My MBAFF Blu-ray rips don't play in VLC on the Fire TV Stick 4K either.

(And I don't think you mean x264 Live TV unless you are in Norway or Iceland - which are the only places in Europe I know of that use the Open Source x264 encoder for Live TV encoding. The codec used for 1080i HD in Europe is H.264 aka AVC - x264 is just the name of one software encoder that generates H.264/AVC - and it's not widely used for Live TV encoding Wink )  
 of course h.264/AVC Wink, sorry
(2018-11-28, 07:36)alturismo Wrote:
(2018-11-28, 01:40)noggin Wrote:
 My MBAFF Blu-ray rips don't play in VLC on the Fire TV Stick 4K either.

of course h.264/AVC Wink, sorry 

Sorry - I've updated my post. A crucial 'non-' was missing...
Did anyone test wifi speeds using Magic iPerf?
As I read through the last pages of the thread it seems like everyone just tests the performance by trying to play so high bitrate media.
I would be interested in iperf results.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3