• 20(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Well, i earlier said, that with hardware acceleration turned off, everything is working as expected. After playing around for some weeks, i have to admit that this is not true. 
The framerate switching does not seem to work properly, no matter if using Kodi 17.6 or 18 RC2. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Did not get a pattern here. But it works like charm when using MrMC. It also works with the 2nd gen Fire TV Stick. 

If anyone has an idea why the 4k Stick is making trouble here, please let me know. I really would like to keep Kodi but if i have to, then i would go with MrMC instead.
(2018-12-15, 14:20)noggin Wrote:
(2018-12-14, 20:40)xpr982539 Wrote:
(2018-12-14, 16:40)noggin Wrote: I know my Sony TV does HLG via it's internal iPlayer app, and I know I can manually select it in Picture Settings.

I've just upgraded my HD Fury Vertex to the latest firmware as I think I was missing a DV update. (DV HDR was not being flagged as DV or HDR on the previous firmware, I now get DV flagged in the first line - but I guess no metadata as this is Dolby specific/proprietary, unlike HDR10 metadata which is open) 
Great investigative work there noggin.
Unfortunately I am unable to force settings via my picture settings :-(

HLG seems to be an issue with my TV, although it does flip to it on iPlayer for Dynasties when going direct.  But not through Kodi or iPlayer on the Fire Stick.  I reckon you're right that there's is a gamut switching/flagging issue present on the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K app.

For now I'll do a bit more research on which way to go for the main viewing room.  I actually got the Firestick just for the bedroom 1080p panel, but couldn't resist giving it a good workout in 4K mode in the living room just in case it would save me £80 over a more capable unit!  Guess not.

BTW, have you guys had success in adding other skins to Kodi RC2 on the Firestick?  Mine doesn't seem to respond when I select the "Get more" option.

EDIT - nevermind about the skin.  Once I plugged it back in downstairs it accepted the Skin update.  Must have been when I was running 17.6 on the FireStick that it wouldn't add other skins.  

Well - I've done a bit more digging now...

I downloaded the EDID data from my Sony TV (directly via an HDMI connected to the Sony TV) and from my Sony TV + Denon AVR combo.

In both cases the EDID block contained data in Static HDR Metadata fields confirming both ST.2084 (aka PQ/HDR10) and HLG support.  The EDID also confirmed both RGB and YCbCr Rec 2020 support.

So why do both the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and Roku not output video with an HLG info frame flag (i.e. flag their outputs in HLG) can why does the Amazon Fire TV stick not flag Rec 2020 ?  The TV EDID says it supports HLG and Rec 2020.

I wonder if there is something more that some devices look for to flag HLG and/or Rec 2020 support in an EDID block?  Clearly something isn't right?  (When I force HLG support to be reported by my HD Fury Vertex adding it to the TV's EDID both devices output HLG flagged video - though the FireTV Stick 4K still flags Rec 2020. The HD Fury Vertex also doesn't think HLG support is flagged in my TV's EDID I think, hence offering me the option of adding it)

EDID and HDMI Infoframes ARE confusing as extensions get added I guess...

What's encouraging is that the Sony TV does seem to report HLG compatibility.

(For info I exported the EDID from my HD Fury Vertex, and read it in two versions of Advantiv EEdit which is a free download) 
 A further update.

My HD Fury Vertex was causing issues itself. It defaults to Force HDR10 only in Automix mode, and by default blocks HLG EDID from a display reaching a source.  Disabling the forced HDR10 support means both my Roku and ATV Fire TV Stick 4K output HLG to my TV.

The iPlayer app on the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K still outputs 59.94Hz only and Rec 709 flagged video (rather than 2020)...  (The Roku iPlayer outputs Rec 2020 and 50Hz)
I am really disappointed that the latest firmware didn't fix the audio sync issues that I have been having.

It is frustrating that Amazon can't get this right.
(2018-10-05, 17:37)honcho Wrote: now if i could get it to integrate with my ring doorbell.... i'd buy one

Mine is set up with the ring video doorbell 2. It’s one of the 50,000+ skills you can teach it.
also same audio sync issues not fixed by last update here..
I had to use spmc until it gets fixed.
In addition to the persistent audio sync issues, there is no Skip Intro for shows like there is on my old Gen 1. Seems like the 4k is on an older firmware fork for some reason.
(2018-12-16, 16:01)Maetrik Wrote: The framerate switching does not seem to work properly, no matter if using Kodi 17.6 or 18 RC2. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Did not get a pattern here. But it works like charm when using MrMC. It also works with the 2nd gen Fire TV Stick. 

If anyone has an idea why the 4k Stick is making trouble here, please let me know. I really would like to keep Kodi but if i have to, then i would go with MrMC instead.
 Am I to understand that MrMC is handling framerate switching correctly on the Fire TV 4K?
Will it also correctly match video resolution and swtich accordingly?
posts on reddit says no but thought I'd ask... Anyone getting DTS-MA and/or Dolby TrueHD Atmos to do lossless passthrough?

Deciding if I want to try FireTV or get NVidia Shield ... running Win10PC right now.

thx for the help!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Doesnt do passthrough.. get the shield
Trying to get NextPVR to work with Kodi and Fire Stick 4k. When I go and play a channel the channel starts but no video. If I disable video acceleration it works but the video is very choppy. Dose anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.
(2018-12-20, 03:12)MaxOne72 Wrote: Trying to get NextPVR to work with Kodi and Fire Stick 4k. When I go and play a channel the channel starts but no video. If I disable video acceleration it works but the video is very choppy. Dose anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.
 Which country are you in?  H.264 (used in the UK for HD and a few SD services, but in other countries for all TV) - at least in 1080i and 576i flavours - doesn't work reliably for me in TV Headend on the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K.  Our SD MPEG2 576i is OK.
I'm from Belgium.

I can confirm the combination Kodi / new Fire Stick 4k / TVMosaic server and  H.264 encoded TV sources with resolution 1080i + 576i can't be played.
Big troubles. Mostly ends in hanging Kodi and I have to execute a force stop.

H.264 encoded TV sources with resolution 1080p + 720p + MPEG2 576i isn't a problem. 
H.265 encoded TV sources with resolution 2160p not tested yet.
ah ok i understand now thanks guys. ya think when i use my colossus 2 card it use's h264i, which i see here doesn't work yet with the fire stick 4k. makes sense. wonder if i can use mpeg2 to stream, lol.

thanks.

oh hope to get a build to work with h264i, lol. helpful as always.
I have a problem and I can’t figure it out.  Just picked up Fire Stick 4k to replace my 2[sup]nd[/sup] Gen fire stick.  I had the issue on my 2[sup]nd[/sup] gen as well.  Worked fine for a year so then this started happening.  The video will freeze for about 15-20 seconds then go really fast for 5 seconds play like normal for 10-20 minutes then do it again. Updated kdoi to 17 still had the problem.  Ok the 4K Stick I upgraded to 18 RC3.  It still does the same time.  I have checked buffer settings (currently set to 3)  turn software and hardware codec on and off.  No change.  What could I look at to fix this?

Here is my Setup.  Firestick 4k with Kodi 18 RC3, Files stored on Network NAS (WDTVlive Hub) hooked into a Linksys switch upstairs that has a wire connection to my main Linksys Router downstairs that my Firestick is wireless connected to.  All gig switches.  The video files are 720p.  Netflix and Amazon stream just fine.  Any Idea what to try?

All my settings are default FiresStick 4k & Kodi RC3.

Thanks
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3