• 21(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2018-12-20, 15:12)MaxOne72 Wrote: ah ok i understand now thanks guys. ya think when i use my colossus 2 card it use's h264i, which i see here doesn't work yet with the fire stick 4k. makes sense. wonder if i can use mpeg2 to stream, lol.

thanks.

oh hope to get a build to work with h264i, lol. helpful as always.
I set my HDPVR to always record 720p years ago because of problems with most small devices.  Works ok on the FTV4k

Martin
Thanks all for the good tips. I can confirm that h264 1080i doesn't work but h264 720p does work when streaming with nextpvr combined with a colossus 2. Would like to see 1080i working but 720p is good enough.

Thanks.
Hi everybody,

my Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k is giving me a hard time... maybe you guys have an idea.
I've connected my Stick with the Ugreen USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00V9XS...UTF8&psc=1 and an USB OTG Cable https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00V9XS...UTF8&psc=1 .
I've plugged the ethernet cable into the Ugreen adapter as well as an ethernet port in my ASUS RT-AC66U router. The ASUS is working as a WiFi-Repeater. The WiFi is coming from a mesh network consisting of a Fritzbox 6490 and a Fritzbox Repeater 1750E.
So now you roughly know my setup.

Now to my problem: 
When I plug one side of an ethernet cable into the ASUS router and the other side of the cable into my laptop I get transfer speeds bigger than 100 MBit/s (approx. 125 Mbit/s).
But when I plug the same ethernet cable into the Ugreen Adapter I only get transfer speeds of about 42 Mbit/s with the fire tv stick. The stick is not connected to a wireless network - only with the ethernet cable. 
I am using the exact same port of the Asus Router and also the exact same ethernet cable.
Do you have any idea what could cause this big difference of transfer speeds between the laptop and the fire tv stick?

Any help is really appreciated as I really have no idea...
What speeds are the ports on the laptop and the router? If the former is Gigabit ethernet (1000 Mbps) but the latter is only 100 Mbps that could explain the difference.

Also if there are slower devices connected to the router that could cause it to slow down all of its connections to cope, which again would give symptoms like you're seeing.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Well, the ports on the router and the Laptop are boh Gbit-ports. If I connect the Ugreen USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter to my laptop and then plug the ethernet cable into the ugreen adapter I also get great speeds of about 120 Mbit/s.
Only if the Ugreen Adapter is connected to the USB Host Cable and the Fire TV Stick the speed is much worse...
I will buy a USB 2.0 LAN Adapter and another OTG Cable and try again.

Is there anything I have to take care of when configuring the wired connection?
I have set Network-length to 24 and as DNS I entered the same which are shown in my fritz box.
Anyone getting constant reboots when starting firestick..it eventually settles down and boots menu...I have it setup with Ugreen adapter...tried a different adapter...same thing....had it setup with arc on Pioneer VSX-832 stereo's hdmi...However, it works with Hdmi and USB on TV beautifully with no Ugreen and wi-fi..go figure...not sure if stereo is processing audio signal like it should since it is connected from the TV.
The side surround and back surround channels are reversed. This was the case with my 1st gen FireTV stick also, so apparently it's common to all FireTVs. This makes 7.1 useless, so the channel config should be set to 5.1.

A new quirk with the 4K stick is forced transcoding to DD+. This can be disabled by selecting "stereo" in the FireTV audio settings. However, this also disables DD/DTS passthrough. Still it's probably the best option to select.
Is it just me or does 23.98hz stutter like crazy (even with "sync playback to display" on)? 59.94hz seems to play normally.
Yes you are right, i opened a thread for this issue.
But I noticed that it does just for h265 codec, maybe I've to check others codec but i don't remember stuttering with h264.
At the moment the firestick 4k it's pretty much useless, at least for me. Sad
(2018-12-27, 01:44)Luke M Wrote: Is it just me or does 23.98hz stutter like crazy (even with "sync playback to display" on)? 59.94hz seems to play normally.

Just watched an episode of Bosch on prime in 4k a 23fps. Stuttering mess. Even my wife who usually doesn't notice minor flaws mentioned it.

Switched to my Amazon app in the TV and the same episode played just fine.

I also notice a long delay with the stick switching from 1080p HDR to 4k HDR.
(2018-12-24, 13:48)Justkidding Wrote: Well, the ports on the router and the Laptop are boh Gbit-ports. If I connect the Ugreen USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter to my laptop and then plug the ethernet cable into the ugreen adapter I also get great speeds of about 120 Mbit/s.
Only if the Ugreen Adapter is connected to the USB Host Cable and the Fire TV Stick the speed is much worse...
I will buy a USB 2.0 LAN Adapter and another OTG Cable and try again.

I can confirm this as well. I tested ugreen adapter (the one with three usb ports) in the laptop and the fire stick and it gives me half the speed using iperf to my NAS.

Moreover when I tested ugreen against some other gigabit usb adapter I had - I got 50% more speed on my laptop via another (I could not test it with the stick as it's not recognized there), so in effect I know that the set up can give me 3 times the speed than currently wired connection is giving me on the stick... Even my AC WiFi is better on it...

Anyone knows what other gigabit adapters we can try?
The USB port on the fire stick is only USB 2.0 that is why it works faster on your laptop, you will be getting all the benefits of USB 3.0
The u green Gigabit adapter is only available in USB 3.0, this gives a little bit of a speed boost over buying a USB 2.0 adapter which is only 10/100.
Hope this makes sense.
Ps your right, the Fire TV 4K is currently pretty useless, it came to market too quickly me thinks.
(2018-12-27, 11:10)DaMacFunkin Wrote: The USB port on the fire stick is only USB 2.0 that is why it works faster on your laptop, you will be getting all the benefits of USB 3.0
The u green Gigabit adapter is only available in USB 3.0, this gives a little bit of a speed boost over buying a USB 2.0 adapter which is only 10/100.
Hope this makes sense.

I know this, but it all happens at the speeds where difference between usb 2.0 and 3.0 should not matter. I get 40mbps via fire TV stick, 80mbps via laptop and 120mbps via another adapter on the laptop. Looks like both otg and ugreen adapters have issues...
(2018-12-27, 11:37)someuser08 Wrote:
(2018-12-27, 11:10)DaMacFunkin Wrote: The USB port on the fire stick is only USB 2.0 that is why it works faster on your laptop, you will be getting all the benefits of USB 3.0
Hope this makes sense.

I know this, but it all happens at the speeds where difference between usb 2.0 and 3.0 should not matter. I get 40mbps via fire TV stick, 80mbps via laptop and 120mbps via another adapter on the laptop. Looks like both otg and ugreen adapters have issues...    
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2796340

Running iPerf3 on my Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K with a USB OTG adaptor and an Anker USB3 GigE+USB3 Hub combo device I got 270Mbs throughput into my MacBook Pro, via a Netgear Gigabit switch (Smart Managed model) and a Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet adaptor.  Over 802.11ac 5GHz WiFi (into a Ubiquiti access point in another room) I achieved c. 80Mbs.

Of course once you add SMB or NFS protocol support on top of this then other things come in to play - but at the network level I get much higher throughputs over GigE than you are reporting.  How are you measuring your speed?

For info I'm using this OTG adaptor https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M7XQ6O2  and this USB 3 GigE+Hub combo https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-AK-A75140...B00PC0J1VC
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3