• 22(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Of course my tests are much more real life scenario and not theoretical maximum. My NAS is connected to my network via powerline adapters (2000mpbs tplink) and I know its not as fast as I would have hoped, but I get 160mbps to it from iperf on my phone (next to WiFi router from which I also run 6m cable to the laptop/fire stick). The combination of adapters I'm using is completely different though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-20265-Et...Mwebp_QL65

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KIMILAR-Micro-C...Mwebp_QL65

May be I should try yours...
(2018-12-27, 13:00)someuser08 Wrote: Of course my tests are much more real life scenario and not theoretical maximum. My NAS is connected to my network via powerline adapters (2000mpbs tplink) and I know its not as fast as I would have hoped, but I get 160mbps to it from iperf on my phone (next to WiFi router from which I also run 6m cable to the laptop/fire stick). The combination of adapters I'm using is completely different though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-20265-Et...Mwebp_QL65

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KIMILAR-Micro-C...Mwebp_QL65

May be I should try yours...
I use Powerline adaptors in my set-up (Netgear AV500s with GigE connectivity) but they definitely don't achieve anywhere near 270Mbs throughput, and my tests were downstream of them (for both my WiFi and Cabled tests)...  They are just about good enough for many, but not all, BD rips. I'd never use them for higher bitrate stuff.

Are you able to run iPerf taking the Powerline adaptors out of circuit to compare the performance of your uGreen with my Anker GigE/USB 3 solution?  I very much doubt the OTG adaptor is playing any part (though I like mine as the 90 degree moulding is a neater solution than a split cable IMO)

I use my Powerline adaptors for day-to-day connectivity between my living room and my utilities cupboard (which is where my Broadband terminates, and where my Wireless access points, ESXi server running Sophos and other VMs, and unRAID server live).  I trunk 4 VLANs over the Powerline connection (3 of them also exist over separate WiFi access points), but can replace this trunk with a GigE cable connection should I need to (though the cable isn't a permanent solution as it is something of a trip hazard, and living in a building constructed in the early 00s I don't want to try and channel cables into the plaster)
(2018-12-27, 13:30)noggin Wrote: Are you able to run iPerf taking the Powerline adaptors out of circuit to compare the performance of your uGreen with my Anker GigE/USB 3 solution?  I very much doubt the OTG adaptor is playing any part (though I like mine as the 90 degree moulding is a neater solution than a split cable IMO)

I can try running iperf server on the router indeed for which I'm sure I will get better speed, but at least it can show me whether behaviour of loosing speed is the same.

I doubt otg cable is the culprit myself, but I have doubts about ugreen adapter as its much slower in my laptop as well. Also something fishy about it - when I plug it into otg cable my fire stick looses power and reboots, whereas other USB devices like HDD enclosure doesn't case the reboots...

As for powerline adapters - I'm looking at different solutions as my set up was clearly not prepared for 4K times (4 powerline adapters split between three floors and three power circuits). I'm going to try devolo gigagate instead for my main ground to second floor routing and since there are no concrete/bricks involved I'm hoping I can get close to 400-500mpbs that should solve my problem. This is why I'm not yet investing in any other adapters as it could be that local AC WiFi could be enough after that.
(2018-12-27, 14:14)someuser08 Wrote:
(2018-12-27, 13:30)noggin Wrote: Are you able to run iPerf taking the Powerline adaptors out of circuit to compare the performance of your uGreen with my Anker GigE/USB 3 solution?  I very much doubt the OTG adaptor is playing any part (though I like mine as the 90 degree moulding is a neater solution than a split cable IMO)

I can try running iperf server on the router indeed for which I'm sure I will get better speed, but at least it can show me whether behaviour of loosing speed is the same.

I'd take your router out of the equation for iPerf. Use a laptop or desktop running on a cabled network connection to your FireTV Stick 4K via a GigE Switch or via your router acting as a switch? (Routers may run out of steam running high bitrate iPerf?)

Quote:I doubt otg cable is the culprit myself, but I have doubts about ugreen adapter as its much slower in my laptop as well. Also something fishy about it - when I plug it into otg cable my fire stick looses power and reboots, whereas other USB devices like HDD enclosure doesn't case the reboots...

Could be the UGreen draws too much power on first insertion and drops the power rail from your PSU too much? I always connect my USB GigE+Hub prior to connecting power to avoid this. I don't hot plug stuff like that.

Quote:As for powerline adapters - I'm looking at different solutions as my set up was clearly not prepared for 4K times (4 powerline adapters split between three floors and three power circuits). I'm going to try devolo gigagate instead for my main ground to second floor routing and since there are no concrete/bricks involved I'm hoping I can get close to 400-500mpbs that should solve my problem. This is why I'm not yet investing in any other adapters as it could be that local AC WiFi could be enough after that. 

Yes - I feel your pain. In another location I have three TPLink Gigabit Powerline adaptors to connect my broadband router, a switch and WiFi access point behind my TV in the living room and a secondary switch in a 1st floor office.

When I move next I'll bite the bullet and put in cabled network connections in every main room...
Hi everyone, I've just bought this new fires tv tick 4k and I'll appreciate any help or suggestions as I'm a completely newbie to the streaming. First of all, I must said that my tv is not 4k, so for now I'm focusing on 1080p playback. 
The internet speed is 50 Mbps and my fire stick is connected wireless. I've already installed Kodi 17.6.
First question is, should I buy an ethernet adapter ? 
I have a lot of movie backups (blu rays rips) storaged in an external hard drive and I' wondering how could I connect it to the fire stick. Is it possible ?
As I said before, dont know anything about local streaming and I really would like to learn about it. 
So, where should I start ?
(2018-11-13, 20:30)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-13, 19:13)mike76 Wrote:
(2018-11-13, 18:31)DaMacFunkin Wrote: what you will miss is Full True HD Dolby Atmos and DTS HD:X as decoding to PCM discards the meta data.
Got it. So if I don't have height speakers, my listening experience will be the same?    
Yes - for most audio tracks all you are doing is moving the HD Audio->PCM decode process from your AVR to your Fire TV Stick.   There may be some minor differences due to the lack of metadata getting to your AVR (mainly if you use Dynamic Range Compression or similar processing?)

What I don't know is whether the Fire TV stick supports 96kHz and 192kHz PCM (rather than just 48k)  There are a small number of Blu-rays with 96 or 192kHz audio tracks which may be downsampled to 48kHz if the Fire TV Stick doesn't support >48k  
sorry for the late quote, but firetv stick 4k can only do 48khz, i tested it. so if some one have a decent sound equipment will be disappointed. i get a zidoo z9s for local playback instead (libreelec, coreelec all have the subtitle issue, too bright under hdr), all the streaming will be done with the firtv stick.
ok, so I have tested speeds back to my router (its really a dumb AP/switch running openwrt, so no actual routing). 

Wired connection:
  • Laptop to AP via another usb gigabit adaptor: 545mbps
  • Laptop to AP via ugreen gigabit adaptor:  483mbps
  • Fire TV stick 4K to AP via ugreen adaptor: 282mbps
Wireless (AC):
  • Phone next to AP: 443mbps
  • Phone next to fire tv stick about 5 meters away from AP: 216mbps
  • Fire tv stick: 134mbps (this is the maximum I got, a few other times it was in the area 110-120mbps)
So it looks like theoretically ugreen adaptor would do OK (but not great), but it is much slower when used with the stick. 

I am disappointed with wireless performance of the stick though - average of 110mbps will probably not be enough to stream 100Gb UHD material, especially since the speed fluctuates a lot depending on other devices using wifi, so even if I solve my powerline problems I might need to have stick wired anyway...
(2018-12-27, 23:22)someuser08 Wrote: I am disappointed with wireless performance of the stick though - average of 110mbps will probably not be enough to stream 100Gb UHD material, especially since the speed fluctuates a lot depending on other devices using wifi, so even if I solve my powerline problems I might need to have stick wired anyway... 
 Have you tried playing high bitrate content from local storage? If it can't do that (likely!), then you don't need to worry about networking performance...
(2018-12-27, 23:22)someuser08 Wrote: I am disappointed with wireless performance of the stick though - average of 110mbps will probably not be enough to stream 100Gb UHD material
To be far it's not designed for this.
(2018-12-28, 00:20)Luke M Wrote:  Have you tried playing high bitrate content from local storage? If it can't do that (likely!), then you don't need to worry about networking performance...

Yes, watched latest MI in HDR last week from an attached SSD and all was good! Only took 20 minutes to copy as well. But I agree with another poster above - it's stretching it a bit...
Switched to Netgear Orbi mesh wi-fi recently, and I'm getting terrific wi-fi speeds (I have gigabit Internet FIOS service):

Wireless on FTV4K:
watch gallery

Wired on FTV4K:
watch gallery
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2018-12-28, 00:52)someuser08 Wrote:
(2018-12-28, 00:20)Luke M Wrote:  Have you tried playing high bitrate content from local storage? If it can't do that (likely!), then you don't need to worry about networking performance...

Yes, watched latest MI in HDR last week from an attached SSD and all was good! Only took 20 minutes to copy as well. But I agree with another poster above - it's stretching it a bit... 
 I wonder if you could try playing the LG Chess demo. That one stutters for me (over wifi/smb). I tried increasing the buffer size to 100MB but it didn't help.

https://4kmedia.org/lg-chess-hdr-demo/
Stutters for me over wi-fi as well... despite the solid numbers I posted above. Please ignore the lit room, background noises, etc....

(2018-12-27, 23:05)testphase Wrote: i get a zidoo z9s for local playback instead (libreelec, coreelec all have the subtitle issue, too bright under hdr)

Interesting, I have been playing around with optimising CoreELEC and have slightly modded versions for use with AML S905W/X - S912 devices when watching HDR content with Subtitles. These should lessen the subtitle brightness/blooming that occurs with LCD LED 4K HDR TV's.

Such versions are found in THIS folder (click)

W.

I don't have a problem with running the LG Chess demo over wifi from my NAS to KODI 17.6.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3