• 24(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2019-01-02, 19:34)Rubytux Wrote: Hi, it is IPTV service. I am not sure if it is the same thing as deinterlacing, but when the Movistar F1 Channel shows old F1 footage(Mpeg2?), The Mi Box S looks bad. The Fire TV looks better.

You will find the decent Sports oriented IPTV providers stream video in a Progressively encoded video format. And for sports that needs to be 50 or 60 fps for fluid motion.
All media player platforms should not have a problem playing back, nornmal Progressive video so long as the media player output Hz corresponds with the Frame per second of the streamed video.
In reality auto Frame Rate Matching needs to be working for user convenience here.

The Fire TV's and many other Android media players come unstuck with Broadcast ATSC or DVB Interlaced content. Their Hardware deinterlacers are either not up to the job or there are issues with the underlying EXOplayer and Mediacodec decoding.

In fact if Free to Air - Broadcast TV (NOT IPTV) - Interlaced streamed video playback works properly at all on Android media players consider it a bonus. In general they should be avoided all together for that sort of TV viewing.

(2019-01-03, 03:48)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-01-02, 19:34)Rubytux Wrote: Hi, it is IPTV service. I am not sure if it is the same thing as deinterlacing, but when the Movistar F1 Channel shows old F1 footage(Mpeg2?), The Mi Box S looks bad. The Fire TV looks better.

You will find the decent Sports oriented IPTV providers stream video in a Progressively encoded video format. And for sports that needs to be 50 or 60 fps for fluid motion.
All media player platforms should not have a problem playing back, nornmal Progressive video so long as the media player output Hz corresponds with the Frame per second of the streamed video.
In reality auto Frame Rate Matching needs to be working for user convenience here.

The Fire TV's and many other Android media players come unstuck with Broadcast ATSC or DVB Interlaced content. Their Hardware deinterlacers are either not up to the job or there are issues with the underlying EXOplayer and Mediacodec decoding.

In fact if Free to Air - Broadcast TV (NOT IPTV) - Interlaced streamed video playback works properly at all on Android media players consider it a bonus. In general they should be avoided all together for that sort of TV viewing. 
 Hi wrxtasy: what do you mean by your clarification ? can you pls clearly explain in Detail ?
i am about to buy fire tv stick. i have a OdroidC2 and i am not happy with it to be Frank.
I got this USB3.0 Ethernet adapter today: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00PBXU...UTF8&psc=1
Unfortunately, it is still exactly the same behaviour...
(2019-01-03, 16:15)Justkidding Wrote: I got this USB3.0 Ethernet adapter today: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00PBXU...UTF8&psc=1

Try this adapter it worked for me.
(2019-01-03, 15:54)plikmuny Wrote:
(2019-01-03, 03:48)wrxtasy Wrote:

Hi wrxtasy: what do you mean by your clarification ? can you pls clearly explain in Detail ?
i am about to buy fire tv stick. i have a OdroidC2 and i am not happy with it to be Frank.  

TL;DR - IPTV is progressive, broadcast TV is usually interlaced.  

PAL/SECAM/NTSC analogue broadcast TV were all 576 line 50Hz interlaced, or 480 line 59.94Hz interlaced (*).  That means although 50 or 59.94 images were sent each second, each image sent was only alternate lines (so 50 images of 288 lines or 59.94 images of 240 lines).  This is know as interlacing.  All standard definition systems used for mainstream TV were interlaced. And still are. For static information this delivers resolution close to 576/480 lines, and for moving content this delivers resolution nearer 288/240 lines. Because the image is refreshed 50/60 times a second the motion is more fluid, and the image doesn't flicker as much as a 25/29.97Hz refreshed image would. The signal takes half the bandwidth of a 576 or 480 line system where all 576 or 488 lines were sent 50 or 59.94 times per second.  It was a very good tradeoff - as moving information is usually motion blurred and doesn't show the reduced resolution.

When we introduced HDTV we had a choice. We could either stick with interlacing or we could move to a system that sent full frame resolution for every image.  In the end - we did both...

1080i interlaced TV was introduced by some broadcasters at 50 or 59.94 images per second.  These images were 1920x540 (**) line resolution.  Fluid motion, no flicker on CRTs (this standard dates back to HD CRTs), but moving elements are lower vertical resolution than static elements.
720p progressive TV was introduced by other broadcaster at 50 or 59.94 images per second. These images were full 1280x720 (**) line resolution and moving and static elements have the same resolution.  The trade-off is that you have lower horizontal resolution (1280 rather than 1920) and possibly a lower vertical resolution on static content. 

Where this gets complicated is that a lot of TV isn't shot at 50 or 59.94Hz, but instead is shot at 25 or 23.976Hz, progressively (i.e. 25 or 23.976 images at full 1920x1080 resolution).  This means that in an interlaced system there is no motion between the two 50/59.94Hz (***) images so the 1080i system delivers a potentially higher quality image than the 720p system.

50/59.94Hz content is typically sport, entertainment and news (plus some soaps and studio comedies)
25/23.976Hz content is typically drama, high-end factual, plus some location comedies (or filmed studio comedies)

DVB delivered TV content delivered via antenna, satellite or cable will usually be 480i, 576i, 720p or 1080i (****). In Europe the majority of HD is 1080i, with a few Nordic and German PSBs running 720p.  In the US Fox and ABC/ESPN are usually 720p, NBC, CBS and PBS are usually 1080i.

HOWEVER to display this interlaced content on an LCD, Plasma or OLED display your TV or Kodi has to deinterlace it from 50/59.94i (sometimes referred to as 25/29.97i) and convert it to 50/59.94Hz progressive for display. (This involves recreating the 'missing' lines for each image) 

Devices like tablets, phones and Android TV set top boxes are often terrible at deinterlacing or don't deinterlace at all.  As a result IPTV providers usually don't deliver content interlaced content.  If the source is native interlaced - as it often is - the IPTV providers have to deinterlace.  Good quality IPTV services - like the BBC iPlayer etc. will deinterlace to 720p50 with no problems.  Other solutions deinterlace to 720p250 or 1080p25 - reducing the fluid motion to more jerky motion.  

Third party, possibly not quite official, IPTV providers probably don't care so much about their image quality and deinterlace badly or not at all. The combing artefacts you posted are symptomatic of an image that hasn't been deinterlaced properly and has just been scaled.  Doesn't look like an official service... Some poor quality, unofficial, services may take 1080/50i sources and convert to 720/25p by just scaling pairs of 50Hz images rather than deinterlacing. The result is awful.

(*) 59.94Hz rather than 60Hz is used for very old reasons to do with the US conversion from B&W to colour TV. Don't ask...
(**) Sometimes 1080i is sent at 1440, 1280 or 1080x1080 if rectangular pixels are used. Similarly 1080 or 960x720 is sometimes seen.
(***)  23.976p into 59.94i is done using 3:2 repetition. Another 'don't ask'...
(****) Germany has just started DVB-T2 with 1920x1080 at 50 images per second progressive - every line sent for every image.  A very high quality solution.
(2019-01-03, 16:37)DonTrafo Wrote:
(2019-01-03, 16:15)Justkidding Wrote: I got this USB3.0 Ethernet adapter today: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00PBXU...UTF8&psc=1

Try this adapter it worked for me. 
Thanks! Just ordered it Smile Did you attach the adapter directly to the Fire TV Stick? So no additional OTG cable needed? What speeds are you getting with it?
Just to add that even my Apple TV 4K has problems with deinterlacing, i have to activate an option to software? deinterlace with GSE.

It seems Most streaming devices high end/low end are not built for 1080i content, i am not sure how does performs the Shield or DIY devices.

After the IPTV clarification about sports streaming in progressive, i tested another channels and there is visible deinterlacing problems with h264 content with the Fire TV Stick 4K.
(2019-01-03, 19:37)Rubytux Wrote: Just to add that even my Apple TV 4K has problems with deinterlacing, i have to activate an option to software? deinterlace with GSE.

It seems Most streaming devices high end/low end are not built for 1080i content, i am not sure how does performs the Shield or DIY devices.

After the IPTV clarification about sports streaming in progressive, i tested another channels and there is visible deinterlacing problems with h264 content with the Fire TV Stick 4K.

If your IPTV provider has deinterlaced already - there is nothing you can do (Kodi can't deinterlace something that has already been deinterlaced and those artefacts are 'baked in')

The Apple TV 4K has no major issues with software decoding of 1080i h.264 stuff in MrMC - it uses a YADIF 2x. I have deinterlace video 'Auto' and deinterlace method 'Deinterlace (YADIF2x)' enabled on mine and 1080i stuff is deinterlaced fine. (The ARM SoC in the Apple TV is very powerful and can do a software deinterlace)

The Raspberry Pi models and the AMLogic S905/905X/905D/912 all deinterlace 1080i OK.

Android devices are less consistent - as Android isn't really optimised for interlaced content. Because the US uses MPEG2 480i and 1080i for OTA TV you often find MPEG2 interlaced content is handled OK, but because interlaced h.264 isn't as widely used in the US in a form that end-users can access, there is less support for it... The Shield TV does an OK job in Kodi though AIUI this is because nVidia have implemented decent deinterlacing in their Android TV port.
Hi Would you please help/advise - I am using BENQ projector TH681 with Fire stick 4K and connected audio via Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter 980-000912. While connected via BT to the BT adapter, volume on the Fire TV remote -> controls projector's audio instead of sound level of BT.

How can I control volume of the BT audio?
I'm really at my wits end with high bitrate playback over the network - I get solid 200mpbs over wifi on the stick from my NAS, yet playback of 30mbps files is still buffering. Local attached USB has no issues, even kodi 17.6 on the phone from AP near my NAS is OK (even though the speed is maximum 100mbps on that AP due to LAN), So to me it looks like Kodi is maybe trying to read the file (mkv) non-sequentially or suffering from bigger latency (ping). Even if i copy the file using file explorer on the stick I get almost 30Mb/s, so nothing should be having any issues with such playback...
I had a similar issue, even with my MESH wi-fi allowing speeds averaging 330Mbps. Switched back to wired and no issues, even with the demanding UHD titles like 'John Wick Chapter 2'.
Can anyone help me with the best quality settings for the Firestick 4K?

I want to know the best display settings for the Firestick 4K In the devices display settings.

I have a Sony Bravia 4K XD8088 TV which has HDR10.

I have it set to auto 4k resolution with auto framerate on.

Should I have it set to 10bits or 12 bits colour depth?

Should I have it set to RGB or YcBcR?

I am playing mainly 1080p files and some 4k.

Am I correct I should set the device to 4k resolution and Kodi should be set to 1080p resolution and to change refresh rate on Start/Stop?

The latest Kodi 18 RC4 seems to correctly switch both refresh rates and resolution. Should I have anything selected in the whitelist resolutions?.
(2019-01-06, 18:23)hdmkv Wrote: I had a similar issue, even with my MESH wi-fi allowing speeds averaging 330Mbps. Switched back to wired and no issues, even with the demanding UHD titles like 'John Wick Chapter 2'.
 The problem for me - for some reason I do not get more than 47mbps when using wired connection, so that is not enough on its own...
Which Ethernet adapter are you using?
I'm using usb3.0 ugreen one with three ports. I haven't tried anything else as I'm awaiting for more reports from others...
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3