• 28(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2019-01-11, 01:16)LukeHansford Wrote: These are the specs

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/televisi...ifications

1080p(30, 50, 60Hz), 1080/24p

Thats what my TV supports so does that mean it does support 24p?

What should kodi be set to?

Please try to understand the difference between:

1. Accepting a 24p signal (your tv and 99% can)

2. Displaying that signal correctly, as in. Showing each frame on the screen for the same amount of time resulting in smooth playback (many TVs cannot do this).

Likely your tv is converting the signal to 60fps by performing 3:2 pulldown (google that).

If the 24hz and 60hz setting results in identical looking playback, your TV cannot do #2 correctly.

If that is the case, you can experiment with the settings I spoke about in my previous post, or just set it to 60hz and forget about it.

Edit: I googled the model number again and found rtings review for X800D.

They say it can do judder free 24p..

Is this the same TV ? Jeez these model numbers are confusing.
Yes this is the same TV it is the model number used in the USA market I believe.
If that’s the case, you should enable “Adjust refresh rate”.

Turn off all motion smoothing settings on your tv.

When you start a movie your tv should switch to 24p and playback smoothly.

Re reading your post, it seems like you were saying this has only recently stopped working with Leia RC4?

Have you tested with MrMc?
I've installed 18.0 rc5 today.

It will now play the 1080p resolutions at the right refresh rates, & switches fine (first thing I did was whitelist those resolutions & try a film).

Unfortunately when it starts to play a film with 5.1 surround (DTS or DD) it plays with no audio then stops after a few seconds & freezes, if you toggle audio pass through off, it plays fine, then toggle back, & plays fine & at right refresh rate & with pass through.

If I play a 1080p film with with aac 5.1 it's fine. If I play a film at 4k with DD 5.1 or DTS it's fine also. Just seems to be 1080p with DTS or DD 5.1 that's effected.

Can anyone else replicate this? Want to know if its a bug or if I need to play with my settings.
Has anyone else been unable to remap the rewind and fastforward buttons in fullscreenvideo mode? I'm able to remap all button functions in the other modes (global, virtualkeyboard), but cannot seem to change the functions of the fastforward or rewind buttons. I already use left/right to seek +/- 30s, and up/down for seeking +/- 10 min. I don't need the rewind/ff buttons, so I want to remap them to control subtitles and audio languages. I've also tried the Keymap Editor add-on, which also doesn't solve this issue (and I want to avoid it anyhow, as it does not seem to allow for "longpress" assignments at this point in time, thus limiting my options). 

For those that might want to know and may be able to help, here is my keymap section for <fullscreenvideo>:

<FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>Info</menu>
      <menu mod="longpress">CodecInfo</menu>    
      <backspace>Stop</backspace>
      <backspace mod="longpress">PreviousMenu</backspace>
      <browser_back>Stop</browser_back>
      <browser_back mod="longpress">PreviousMenu</browser_back>
      <up>BigStepForward</up>
      <down>BigStepBack</down>
      <left>Seek(-10)</left>
      <right>Seek(10)</right>    
      <rewind>NextSubtitle</rewind>
      <rewind mod="longpress">ShowSubtitles</rewind>
      <fastforward>AudioNextLanguage</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
--

Everything else above works fine, it's just that the <rewind> and <fastforward> assignments won't work - those buttons continue to perform their original functions when video is playing. Anyone else having this problem and/or anyone know how to solve this?

Edit: I'm using the current 4K Firestick model FYI.
I received this stick on Friday and have been testing Kodi on it ever since. I've been having issues with 480p content not playing smoothly. High bitrate 1080p(both h264 and h265) content works fine. But it struggles with my old 480p 700mb files.

SPMC 16.7.4 with both Mediacodec and Mediacodec Surface disabled plays my 480p content fine. I tried changing the same settings with Kodi Leia latest RC but it didn't work. I also tried playing this content with the Plex Android app and it stuttered the same as Kodi.

I don't mind using SPMC for now, but eventually I'll have to switch, with it not being updated anymore. Also, the CPU is really working hard on higher bitrate content with these settings. I didn't even get 4k content.

More info: Fire TV Stick 4K - Sony AVR - LG 1080p TV. I do have adjust display refresh rate enabled and working.
(2019-01-14, 03:26)goldsac Wrote: Has anyone else been unable to remap the rewind and fastforward buttons in fullscreenvideo mode? I'm able to remap all button functions in the other modes (global, virtualkeyboard), but cannot seem to change the functions of the fastforward or rewind buttons. I already use left/right to seek +/- 30s, and up/down for seeking +/- 10 min. I don't need the rewind/ff buttons, so I want to remap them to control subtitles and audio languages. I've also tried the Keymap Editor add-on, which also doesn't solve this issue (and I want to avoid it anyhow, as it does not seem to allow for "longpress" assignments at this point in time, thus limiting my options). 

For those that might want to know and may be able to help, here is my keymap section for <fullscreenvideo>:

<FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>Info</menu>
      <up>BigStepForward</up>
      <down>BigStepBack</down>
      <left>Seek(-10)</left>
      <right>Seek(10)</right>    
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
--

Everything else above works fine, it's just that the <rewind> and <fastforward> assignments won't work - those buttons continue to perform their original functions when video is playing. Anyone else having this problem and/or anyone know how to solve this?

It might be getting overridden by the global keymap -

xml:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <remote>
      <forward>FastForward</forward>
      <reverse>Rewind</reverse>
    </remote>
  </global>
</keymap>
Just had the same audio pass through problem on a 4k file now too. Did the toggle pass through workaround but after five minutes or so audio cut out for a second & then returned.

Seems like 18 rc5 has broken audio pass through, at least in some cases.
Can I ask which resolutions and refresh rates you have whitelisted on RC5. Do you whitelist 4k ones also or do you whitelist all the resolutions and rates?.

How does RC compare to RC4?

Did RC4 not play back correctly?

Thank you
(2019-01-14, 10:23)Hitcher Wrote:
(2019-01-14, 03:26)goldsac Wrote: Has anyone else been unable to remap the rewind and fastforward buttons in fullscreenvideo mode? I'm able to remap all button functions in the other modes (global, virtualkeyboard), but cannot seem to change the functions of the fastforward or rewind buttons. I already use left/right to seek +/- 30s, and up/down for seeking +/- 10 min. I don't need the rewind/ff buttons, so I want to remap them to control subtitles and audio languages. I've also tried the Keymap Editor add-on, which also doesn't solve this issue (and I want to avoid it anyhow, as it does not seem to allow for "longpress" assignments at this point in time, thus limiting my options). 

<FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>Info</menu>
      <up>BigStepForward</up>
      <down>BigStepBack</down>
      <left>Seek(-10)</left>
      <right>Seek(10)</right>    
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
--

It might be getting overridden by the global keymap -

xml:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <remote>
      <forward>FastForward</forward>
      <reverse>Rewind</reverse>
    </remote>
  </global>
</keymap>

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, that shouldn't be the problem. Here are my global overrides, which I should note are working just fine when navigating my libraries for PrevLetter and NextLetter functionality:

<Global>
    <keyboard>
      <play_pause>ToggleWatched</play_pause>
      <play_pause mod="longpress">SendClick(14)</play_pause>
      <rewind>PrevLetter</rewind>
      <fastforward>NextLetter</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </Global>

This confirms that the button names of <rewind> and <fastforward> are indeed correct, so it seems that something else is blocking their re-assignment during fullscreenvideo mode. This also causes my optimism to wain, as I can't really think of anything else to try unless anyone else has further perspective on the matter. It's not the biggest deal, as it's pretty quick to activate the OSD and modify the subtitle and audio settings manually when needed - but I'm a tenacious little monkey, and wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this for its own sake (as well, of course,  as having 100% of the settings I want).
(2019-01-14, 20:18)goldsac Wrote: This confirms that the button names of <rewind> and <fastforward> are indeed correct, so it seems that something else is blocking their re-assignment during fullscreenvideo mode. This also causes my optimism to wain, as I can't really think of anything else to try unless anyone else has further perspective on the matter. It's not the biggest deal, as it's pretty quick to activate the OSD and modify the subtitle and audio settings manually when needed - but I'm a tenacious little monkey, and wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this for its own sake (as well, of course,  as having 100% of the settings I want).

You may already know this, but next audio/subtitle is by default mapped to longpress-up/down.

I don't know why it's not possible to remap fastforward/reverse. I tried it myself (using the keymap editor), and couldn't get it to work.

Edit: there's a bug ticket for this here: https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17979

Apparently it's intentional. :-(
Hello Kodi community,

I own a Fire Stick 4k fo a few days days now which is connected to a Samsung Smart TV ue58mu6122 (4k capable etc). 
I am currently using the latest stable version of Kodi 17.6 and the latest Firestick 4k firmware.

Having set the kodi to a 4k resolution and 60hz, I tried playing 4K movies around 70GB with auto switching refresh rate.
Movies are shared from a network share with Gigabit ethernet. When I tried to play these movies, the refresh rate changed accordingly but the video
was unwatchable, choppy and a lot of frames were skipped. The same thing happened with 1080p rips around 12GB. Firestick is capable at least to handle easily these rips.

Having set Kodi to use a 1080p resolution, I did the same tests and noticed that, videos were less choppy. It was better but still annoying.

I changed back the resolution to 4k and started to play with the settings of my TV. To my surprise, I found out that if I change HDMI sound input from PCM to Bitstream and then back to PCM again, while a choppy video is playing (frame rate is changed correctly), the movie is then played without errors and no skipped frames at the right frame rate.
I don't know if this is a coincidence.

Has anybody experienced something like that or similar while playing with sound options?

To my understanding, having read a lot in this forum, the best way to watch 24hz movies on Firestick 4k is to disable auto frame switching and configure kodi to sync video to TV's refresh rate?
(2019-01-14, 19:41)LukeHansford Wrote: Can I ask which resolutions and refresh rates you have whitelisted on RC5. Do you whitelist 4k ones also or do you whitelist all the resolutions and rates?.

How does RC compare to RC4?

Did RC4 not play back correctly?

Thank you
I have whitelisted:
3840x2160p, 60, 50, 30, 25, 24, 23.98
1280x720p,   60, 50, 30, 25, 24, 23.98

I should be able to have 1920x1080p, 60, 50, 30, 25, 24, 23.98 as well, however when I do & I have audio passthrough enabled (I have a surround sound system & AV receiver running from the TV's SPDIF)  they have an issue where they freeze after a few seconds & then only play once I toggle audio passthrough using the on screen video OSD.

It's like it can't handle frame rate switching at 1080p whilst also handling audio passthrough implementation, which is weird, cos it'll do it at other resolutions just fine, including at 4k.

Can you reproduce this? Or anyone else?

I'd like to know if this is a known bug. TBH I'm getting a bit sick of these issues, & I'm close to selling this & the gigabit adapter & just buying a Vero 4k+ instead.
(2019-01-15, 12:23)makrog Wrote: Hello Kodi community,

I own a Fire Stick 4k fo a few days days now which is connected to a Samsung Smart TV ue58mu6122 (4k capable etc). 
I am currently using the latest stable version of Kodi 17.6 and the latest Firestick 4k firmware.

Having set the kodi to a 4k resolution and 60hz, I tried playing 4K movies around 70GB with auto switching refresh rate.
Movies are shared from a network share with Gigabit ethernet. When I tried to play these movies, the refresh rate changed accordingly but the video
was unwatchable, choppy and a lot of frames were skipped. The same thing happened with 1080p rips around 12GB. Firestick is capable at least to handle easily these rips.

Having set Kodi to use a 1080p resolution, I did the same tests and noticed that, videos were less choppy. It was better but still annoying.

I changed back the resolution to 4k and started to play with the settings of my TV. To my surprise, I found out that if I change HDMI sound input from PCM to Bitstream and then back to PCM again, while a choppy video is playing (frame rate is changed correctly), the movie is then played without errors and no skipped frames at the right frame rate.

Has anybody experienced something like that or similar while playing with sound options?

To my understanding, having read a lot in this forum, the best way to watch 24hz movies on Firestick 4k is to disable auto frame switching and configure kodi to sync video to TV's refresh rate?
 Are you using a gigabit ethernet adapter with the firestick?
(2019-01-15, 13:53)FoxForceFive Wrote:
(2019-01-15, 12:23)makrog Wrote: Hello Kodi community,

Are you using a gigabit ethernet adapter with the firestick? 
 Yes, I mentioned it, in the beginning of this post...
The problem exists even with 1080p movies.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3