• 30(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
I'm currently doing just that!

I've never done one before & I'm trying to make it as clear & concise as possible to help whoever looks at it.

In doing so I've discovered another clue, it displays in the correct resolution if the 4k file is 60hz (like the demo files), even if GUI resolution is set to Auto, which may be why it hasn't been spotted in testing.

I'll post the link here once I've completed it.
Bug reported here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15285

If anyone with any experience doing these bug reports sees anything I've messed up/omitted, let me know & I'll edit it.
I would like to know if it the fire tv stick reads usb only fat32 or also exfat or ntfs and how to give write permissions in these usb. I do not get it in anyway. Thank you.
Amazon have updated the stick such that the AV sync is now back on their own ecosystem - Prime videos, apps and channels. Good work lads.

They've also fixed the audio dropout occurring around 40 minutes in / repeating at 80 mins etc.

In Kodi 17, there are audio dropouts when switching between videos with different frame rates. Playing a 23.98fps video then a 29.97fps one causes the audio on the 29.97 video to dropout once or twice every second. Kodi needs to be fully quit to fix, then the 29.97 title plays back as expected.
Respeed, resample, sync, sall the stuff that meddles with AV in Kodi is off and switch display rate is off too.

In Kodi 17, AC3 audio and DTS audio have a different offset time to maintain sync with the video. AC3 is around .2 behind, DTS slightly ahead. I've set Kodi's delay for the AC3 and need to mess around in settings to re-sync the audio on DTS titles.

So things are watchable but honestly it is not at all smooth a couple of months in on the new, improved FireTV stick - Either needing to restart Kodi or muck about with settings to watch a video.
I've noticed that audio sync difference on 18 as well. The other issue (audio dropout) I haven't though.

I'll check my setup later & see if there's an amazon update & if it's changed anything.
Just checked & my stick has no system update available.

I'm on fire OS 6.2.5.8.

I'm in the UK, I assume they roll out updates at different times dependant on region.
Im not sure if someone else experienced this problem before, but when i start a video with a DTS-HD MA 5.1, Playback stutters.
When i change the Audio stream to standard DTS 5.1 and back to DTS-HD, stuttering is completely gone.
Interesting note,
I'm currently trying forced raw build from here http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/

Initially the goal was to get Atmos from Netflix addon, which didn't work.

But then I noticed, with this test-build I have DTS-HD under passthrough audio option. Although this didn't work as well. Smile
Hello.

Do you run your firestick on a 4K TV?

Have you set the firestick settings to auto 4k.

Match Original frame rate = on

colour depth = 10 bits

YCbCr

Do you have the Kodi resolution set to 1080p or 4k?

Do you set the GUI resolution limit to Unlimited?

I am playing mostly 1080p but some files are 4K.

Can you share your settings for both the firestick and Kodi for the best video quality please and smooth packback?

Thank you for any help you can give.
Are you using Kodi 18 RC5?

When you say it's not playing 4k files in 4k resolution how do you mean?

If I set it to auto switch framerate it auto switches my TV to 4k resolution from the 1080p I have Kodi set to.

Kodi switches to 1080p when I open it as I have it set to that in the Kodi settings.
(2019-01-22, 21:43)LukeHansford Wrote: Are you using Kodi 18 RC5?

When you say it's not playing 4k files in 4k resolution how do you mean?

If I set it to auto switch framerate it auto switches my TV to 4k resolution from the 1080p I have Kodi set to.

Kodi switches to 1080p when I open it as I have it set to that in the Kodi settings.

Let me guess, you have gui resolution limit set to unlimited?

If so, when you play a 1080p or 720p file, check your TV resolution. In my case it is outputting in 4k, so the firestick is upscaling, which isn't ideal, cos TV's are almost always better at it.

I've opened a bug report, they've replicated it, worked out the problem & have even found a fix, so hopefully that fix will be in place in the nightlies soon.
Can you try this.

Set your Kodi display resolution to 1080p 59.94.

When I play a 1080p file it changes to 1080/24

When I play a 4k file it changes to 3840 X 2160p.

I believe the correct setting is to set Kodi to 1080p resolution.

I have nothing whitelisted.

If i set the Kodi resolution to 3840 x 2160p it does not switch to 1080p/24.

I have left GUI resolution at auto.

I don't understand why you have had to set it to unlimited.

If it says hdmi 3840x2160p when I play the 4k file and then when I stop the file it shows 1080p are you saying it's not playing in 4k?

I also read you should set the Audio output of the firestick to stereo in settings to fix audio out of sync. Is that correct?
(2019-01-22, 23:04)LukeHansford Wrote: Can you try this.

Set your Kodi display resolution to 1080p 59.94.

When I play a 1080p file it changes to 1080/24

When I play a 4k file it changes to 3840 X 2160p.

I believe the correct setting is to set Kodi to 1080p resolution.

I have nothing whitelisted.

If i set the Kodi resolution to 3840 x 2160p it does not switch to 1080p/24.

I have left GUI resolution at auto.

I don't understand why you have had to set it to unlimited.

If it says hdmi 3840x2160p when I play the 4k file and then when I stop the file it shows 1080p are you saying it's not playing in 4k?

I also read you should set the Audio output of the firestick to stereo in settings to fix audio out of sync. Is that correct?

What frame rate is the 4k file?

I know that sounds daft, but 60hz 4k files switch fine for me regardless of the gui resolution limit, but 24hz files (films for example), don't.

I set the gui resolution limit after reading the log & seeing the code look to set that resolution after finding the correct one.

Have a look at the debug logs on the bug report or the comments afterwards by the team & you can see the resolution changing back to default.

They have found a fix for it though, apparently they had a similar issue on the amlogic boxes & they can use the same fix to sort it.

EDIT: just thought, this could be an issue if you've used the whitelist at all, which I obv had done. If it has never been used it may not suffer the same issue.
How to set or what to install to Netflix Add-on so that they do not trim (frame) 1080p videos. I want to have frequency switching in netflix. 720p materials work smoothly. Is the processor in stick 4k too weak (sw) to play netflix 1080p in kodi smoothly?
(2019-01-23, 17:35)boood Wrote: How to set or what to install to Netflix Add-on so that they do not trim (frame) 1080p videos. I want to have frequency switching in netflix. 720p materials work smoothly. Is the processor in stick 4k too weak (sw) to play netflix 1080p in kodi smoothly?
 Why not just play it natively on the Fire TV?
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3