• 34(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
I agree with the vast majority of what you've said mate, if I had to choose between the 2 it'd be the veto 4K+...but the fact it'll likely never support 4K Netflix is it's Achilles heel imo.
I originally bought the fire stick 4K for my bedroom, I only wanted it for the better x265 support, otherwise I'd have bought the normal fire stick {the tv in my bedroom isn't even 4K)...but was blown away with how well it performs (considering it's under half the price of the 4K+).

I'm in the UK also , and suffer the h264 1080i interlacing issue, as I use an old enigma2 box for freesat channels...this other app u mention, does it definitely solve the issue? How much is the app?

Vero 4k+ is the better device.
Fire stick 4k wins the bang for your buck award.
IMO.
(2019-02-15, 19:54)dwalme Wrote:
(2019-02-15, 19:29)stammie Wrote: The Firestick shines over the Vero's for official apps with having Prime, Netflix and others available to use to their full potential
 Well Netflix on the Firestick doesn't do Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.   Or was it DV is played back at 60fps - something along those lines.

So still not Netflix to its full potential, but Amazon Prime works pretty well.

It'll do dolby atmos if you use kodi + netflix addon. Not sure about HDR and DV since I don't have the display. But the options are there.
(2019-02-16, 09:14)gb160 Wrote: I'm in the UK also , and suffer the h264 1080i interlacing issue, as I use an old enigma2 box for freesat channels...this other app u mention, does it definitely solve the issue? How much is the app?

Vero 4k+ is the better device.
Fire stick 4k wins the bang for your buck award.
IMO.
For an app the Channels app isn't cheap, I think it was £7:99, I can't say whether it solves the issue but I read many good reviews about it.
Getting Kodi working on my 4K stick was more of a proof of concept in case anything goes wrong with my Vero's and I need an emergency backup. 
Most things are working, even uncompressed UHD Blurays in HDR except the interlaced TV problem plus I cannot get any digital audio passed through to my AVR, even bog standard AC3 and DTS unless I disable then re-enable passthrough when a video is playing via the audio settings in the OSD,
has anyone experienced this audio issue?
How much time takes running of a TV channel in Kodi since it was switched on?
I found an important drawback in Fire TV Stick 4K -- it has no hardware decoding support for VC1 codec, and it is not speedy enough to decode it in software.  This means that many or actually most of the Bu-ray rip ISOs will not play.  In comparison both Fire TV 2 and Fire TV 3 (pendant) can hardware decode VC1 with SPMC, MrMC and the latest Kodi Leia 18.1.  This make it a no-go with Kodi for me.  I am keeping my Fire TV 3 pendants as they are the only Amazon hardware that does 4K, HDR, plays Blu-rays and has decent deinterlacing for mpeg2 live TV streams from my HDHomerun.
(2019-01-28, 01:46)wrxtasy Wrote: I'd DVD ISO contain interlaced mpeg2, which they often do then there is nothing Kodi can do to help. It's a Amazon deinterlacing issue.
You can try disabling hardware acceleration in Kodi and see if that works, and then pull up the On Screen Video Settings and play around with the deinterlacing options if they show up.

The SPMC 16.x (modded Kodi Jarvis) App will likely play DVD's with mpeg2 content out of the box without fiddling.
Here is a link to my feature suggestion thread, where fritsch posted his custom Kodi build based on the latest Leia 18.1, which has switches for mpeg2, mpeg4 and h.264 to be decoded in hardware or software:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=341163

DVD ISOs work really well on my Fire TV 3 and Fire stick 4K setting mpeg2 to "HD and above" with this build
(2019-02-21, 22:36)alekseyzimin Wrote:
(2019-01-28, 01:46)wrxtasy Wrote: I'd DVD ISO contain interlaced mpeg2, which they often do then there is nothing Kodi can do to help. It's a Amazon deinterlacing issue.
You can try disabling hardware acceleration in Kodi and see if that works, and then pull up the On Screen Video Settings and play around with the deinterlacing options if they show up.

The SPMC 16.x (modded Kodi Jarvis) App will likely play DVD's with mpeg2 content out of the box without fiddling.
Here is a link to my feature suggestion thread, where fritsch posted his custom Kodi build based on the latest Leia 18.1, which has switches for mpeg2, mpeg4 and h.264 to be decoded in hardware or software:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=341163

DVD ISOs work really well on my Fire TV 3 and Fire stick 4K setting mpeg2 to "HD and above" with this build

It's good to see @fritsch listening Smile

The beauty with user selectable "HD and up" - SW/HW decoding options is it then also opens up high quality software upscaling options in Kodi.
(When video is playing > On screen display > Video settings)
See this thread for details:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2825654

has someone any advancedsetting.xml file to improve de buffer in my fire tv stick 4k? It need to be prepared for 1,5 GB ram. Thanky you.
Installed kodi 18.1 the latest netflix plugin: plugin.video.netflix-0.14.0.beta20.4K.  In kodi, I need to set automatic refresh switching on: always or after starting ...... for the code to switch refresh both in the disk and in the netflix plugins. From what I remember in 18.0 I had it turned off and the amzon stick 4k changed the refresh rate. I have 4k, 1080p, 540p videos in plugin.video.netflix-0.14.0.beta20.4K. After starting the 540p movies, movies are played at 1080p (I do not have 4k TV) but there are micro crops. In contrast, films marked 1080p, 4k in netflix are playing smoothly? Maybe the plug showing those in 540p suggests that they are coded differently?
Unfortunately, on plugin.video.netflix-0.14.0.beta21 some movies, series whether they are in 1080p, 540p, 4k are not played smoothly. All on my tv1080p are displayed in 1080p. I will note that cropping occurs regardless of the video bitrate.
I stumbled on some post complaining about audio out of sync issues?

does it struggle to keep audio in sync with videos? I plan to get an amazon fireTV 4K and will mostly play 4k HDR hvec and 1080p hvec movies and videos... are there audio sync issues playing these types of videos?
lon.tv review mentionned that 4k mkv does not workHuh
(2019-02-23, 22:57)k1lerbee Wrote: lon.tv review mentionned that 4k mkv does not workHuh
 A review that says a '4K mkv' doesn't work is a pretty poor review... MKV is just a wrapper - you need to know the video codec (HEVC/h.265, AVC/h.264 etc.), resolution (4096x2160, 3840x2160?), frame rate (23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60Hz), audio codec, EOTF (was the content SDR, HDR10, HLG?), and what about it didn't play to make any sense of that kind of statement...
(2019-02-24, 04:06)noggin Wrote:
(2019-02-23, 22:57)k1lerbee Wrote: lon.tv review mentionned that 4k mkv does not workHuh
 A review that says a '4K mkv' doesn't work is a pretty poor review... MKV is just a wrapper - you need to know the video codec (HEVC/h.265, AVC/h.264 etc.), resolution (4096x2160, 3840x2160?), frame rate (23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60Hz), audio codec, EOTF (was the content SDR, HDR10, HLG?), and what about it didn't play to make any sense of that kind of statement...  
that's what I thought ... hopefully it will play my bluray 4k HDR rips

ex. one of my 4k rip (h265 main [email protected]):
https://i.imgur.com/ucL9QaM.png

will the fireTV 4k 2018 play it smoothly?
and my 4k rips are between 45 - 55 mbps

i see the firetv 4k codec supports for 4k hevc is:
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-t...ra-hd.html

Hardware accelerated up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 60fps, 35 Mbps, Main 10 Profile Level 5.1, Color space 8-bit and 10-bit input with HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and Dolby Vision support in rendering pipelines.

will 4k hevc videos with more than 35 Mbps play smoothly?
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3