• 47(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
So I picked up one of these devices during the recent $25 "fire sale" going around in USA.  So far, not very impressed.  Stereo audio is out of sync so have to manually go into audio settings when playing such files to add about 150ms delay.  High bitrate 4K UHD iso disc backups from my NAS pause and buffer all the time.  This is using a USB->Ethernet adapter that tests out around 300 mbps from the stick to my NAS.  Can someone else try Batman v Superman full UHD disc backup and test the scene where the 3 heroes fight the creature towards the end of the movie(about 2h28m on Ultimate cut)?  That's my go-to disc for testing media players as it maxes out the UHD bitrate specs during that scene.  Using official Kodi 18.5 apk.

Edit:  Looks like the decoder on this device is too slow for high bitrate HEVC regardless of your network connection.  Official spec says 35 Mbps.
Will have to try some ISO files from USB hard drive to verify. (scratch that - no NTFS support).
Quick question:  Can I play 3D MVC ISO files with the Fire TV Stick 4K?

I apologize if this has been answered already, I've been looking through the forums and haven't found an answer yet.
(2019-11-27, 08:07)wizziwig Wrote: So I picked up one of these devices during the recent $25 "fire sale" going around in USA.  So far, not very impressed.  Stereo audio is out of sync so have to manually go into audio settings when playing such files to add about 150ms delay.  High bitrate 4K UHD iso disc backups from my NAS pause and buffer all the time.  This is using a USB->Ethernet adapter that tests out around 300 mbps from the stick to my NAS.  Can someone else try Batman v Superman full UHD disc backup and test the scene where the 3 heroes fight the creature towards the end of the movie(about 2h28m on Ultimate cut)?  That's my go-to disc for testing media players as it maxes out the UHD bitrate specs during that scene.  Using official Kodi 18.5 apk.

Edit:  Looks like the decoder on this device is too slow for high bitrate HEVC regardless of your network connection.  Official spec says 35 Mbps.
Will have to try some ISO files from USB hard drive to verify. (scratch that - no NTFS support).
I've played a bunch of UHD mkvs without issue, definitely a higher bitrate than 35 Mbps. It might be related to ISOs? Are you using the official Amazon Ethernet adapter because that is only 10/100. I use this one and it works great - Cable Matters Micro USB to Ethernet Adapter Up to 480Mbps
(2019-11-30, 19:52)movd Wrote:
(2019-11-27, 08:07)wizziwig Wrote: So I picked up one of these devices during the recent $25 "fire sale" going around in USA.  So far, not very impressed.  Stereo audio is out of sync so have to manually go into audio settings when playing such files to add about 150ms delay.  High bitrate 4K UHD iso disc backups from my NAS pause and buffer all the time.  This is using a USB->Ethernet adapter that tests out around 300 mbps from the stick to my NAS.  Can someone else try Batman v Superman full UHD disc backup and test the scene where the 3 heroes fight the creature towards the end of the movie(about 2h28m on Ultimate cut)?  That's my go-to disc for testing media players as it maxes out the UHD bitrate specs during that scene.  Using official Kodi 18.5 apk.

I've played a bunch of UHD mkvs without issue, definitely a higher bitrate than 35 Mbps. It might be related to ISOs? Are you using the official Amazon Ethernet adapter because that is only 10/100. I use this one and it works great - Cable Matters Micro USB to Ethernet Adapter Up to 480Mbps 
Like I posted, the ethernet adapter tests out at 300 mbps using iperf.  It's a USB 2.0 Gigabit model but that shouldn't matter since the FireTV doesn't have USB 3.0 anyway.  Many "UHD" movies are barely higher bitrate than some 1080p BDs.  You need to use UHD discs that come close to the max 100 Mbps UHD spec to fully exercise a player.  Don't use MKV but I guess I can try remuxing one of my movies just for testing.
Just noticed the stick has a little trouble skipping within x265 + TrueHD files. For example, quickly skipping back several times in a row causes it to stutter and then buffer for 5-10 seconds. (I'm using fixed 30 second skips.) This does not happen with x265 + DTSMA or any other audio codec I've tried, including lossy Dolby and DTS. CPU usage doesn't seem excessive, typically much less than 50%. Anyone else see this? (I've configured fixed 5.1 output. I haven't tried x264 + TrueHD.)

BTW, using the Amazon Ethernet adapter gives better performance for skips than using the stick's wireless. Except for TrueHD, it's now as quick as my PC, which is basically instantaneous. Wireless, I'd get the spinning circle for a fraction of a second. The good wired performance holds up even when playing a file hosted on a wireless NAS, so it would seem there's something about the stick's wireless that's to blame.
(2019-11-29, 20:24)rekster69 Wrote: Quick question:  Can I play 3D MVC ISO files with the Fire TV Stick 4K?

I apologize if this has been answered already, I've been looking through the forums and haven't found an answer yet.

Nope. They will play in 2D.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2019-01-09, 03:31)hdmkv Wrote: Just tested with Jellyfish bitrate clips on my Synology NAS. Smooth playback of 250Mbps 4K H.264 clip (highest H.264 available on http://jell.yfish.us), and smooth playback of 300Mbps 4K HEVC clip. I did have minor stutter initially w/the highest available 400Mbps 4K HEVC clip, but subsequent times, it played fine.

hdmkv, have you done any high bitrate testing recently on this device?  I'm having trouble reproducing your old results quoted above.  Not sure if Amazon updated the OS or if there's been some change in Kodi.  Using a similar setup to yours (USB Gigabit adapter) over NFS.  None of the 250 or 300 Mbps HEVC test files play smoothly without stutter.  Even the 140 Mbps one with audio has dropouts.  What's the highest bitrate you can manage on current Fire OS and Kodi builds?  Can you test the BvS scene I mentioned a few posts back?  Thanks.
(2019-12-02, 02:22)hdmkv Wrote:
(2019-11-29, 20:24)rekster69 Wrote: Quick question:  Can I play 3D MVC ISO files with the Fire TV Stick 4K?

Nope. They will play in 2D. 
Thank you.
(2019-12-02, 09:20)wizziwig Wrote: hdmkv, have you done any high bitrate testing recently on this device?  I'm having trouble reproducing your old results quoted above.  Not sure if Amazon updated the OS or if there's been some change in Kodi.  Using a similar setup to yours (USB Gigabit adapter) over NFS.  None of the 250 or 300 Mbps HEVC test files play smoothly without stutter.  Even the 140 Mbps one with audio has dropouts.  What's the highest bitrate you can manage on current Fire OS and Kodi builds?  Can you test the BvS scene I mentioned a few posts back?  Thanks.
Hi, not recently. I'm in the midst of a move; otherwise would've re-tested for you.
Dear Forum,

under https://kodi.tv/download I have the choice between

ARMv7a (32bit)
ARMv8A (64bit)
To my knowledge the Fire TV 4k's SoC Mediathek MT8695 supports the ARMv8A Instruction Set (source: https://androidpctv.com/comparative-mediatek-mt8695/), so my question is:

Will the ARMv8A-build support the Fire TV 4k in the future?

Regards,

Germeleon
The problem is the Fire TV's OS is 32 bit. Probably for DRM and app compatibility.

I am thinking of getting one of these sticks but some of the buttons on the remote control are IR correct?

I run my TV audio through optical which disables all volume controls on my TV, I need volume control on the remote so will this work for me?
Guys, what's the way to edit Kodi file on Fire TV Stick 4K?
I tried with ES File explorer, but I don't have the keyboard so it's very difficult to do it. Is there any other way? Like SSH or telnet connection.
Thank you

EDIT: Got it! This is perfect and use ADB commands:
http://jocala.com/
Here is the guide just in case: https://www.smarthomebeginner.com/instal...n-fire-tv/
(2019-11-27, 07:58)wizziwig Wrote:
(2019-11-25, 22:57)fritsch Wrote: Audio Sync for stereo is broken in their firmware for stereo sound. I did not find a way to estimate this 150 ms delay without a vendor hack.
Is there some way to automate that delay so it only applies to stereo and not other files?  I only noticed it on stereo aac so far.
Looks like we will just have to wait for the firmware fix, it if ever happens.
(2019-12-05, 04:00)Kodroid Wrote:
(2019-11-27, 07:58)wizziwig Wrote:
(2019-11-25, 22:57)fritsch Wrote: Audio Sync for stereo is broken in their firmware for stereo sound. I did not find a way to estimate this 150 ms delay without a vendor hack.
Is there some way to automate that delay so it only applies to stereo and not other files?  I only noticed it on stereo aac so far. 
Looks like we will just have to wait for the firmware fix, it if ever happens. 

Yes. That's what I did in those firetv builds. But as this is a "special device hack", I won't push that into Kodi. Why device hacks are evil we currently see with the amlogic clibber workaround code, that breaks modern Cube, which is also amlogic driven, which btw. shows again: Chip vendor has the standard conform code, box sellers sadly have no interest at all to fix their firmware ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3