• 53(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2019-12-23, 23:07)PouleYe Wrote: I wonder if I shouldn't take the new nvidia shield, but it doesn't support HDR10+...

Just get something like a complementary GigaE LAN equipped UGOOS X2 Cube and run CoreELEC Kodi on it from a Samsung EVO or Sandisk U1 micoSDHC card. You will not have to worry about 4K HDR HD home networked audio and video files playback them.
Auto everything will just work.

The 2019 Shield in its current form is running Beta Firmware due to ongoing colorspace issues again. Or you can become a NVIDIA Beta Firmware tester with their Hotfix program, which then can result in further problems.
That is really unacceptable for any expensive, mainstrem, retail level 4K HDR media player, sold in 2019.

(2019-12-23, 23:04)PouleYe Wrote: Hi guys !

Has anyone tried to play a 4k movie (around 60 GB -Blade Runner 2049- from a NFS on Syno NAS) with the Fire Stick 4k and a gigabit ethernet adapter?
Does it work or does Kodi spend its time re-buffering?

Thanks !

The Gigabit Adapter will work shitty as your connection is just USB 2.0 - if you don't force it to 100 Mbit/s it won't work stable at all. I play such files with AC wireless, get up to 50 MegaByte / s.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-12-23, 23:04)PouleYe Wrote: Hi guys !

Has anyone tried to play a 4k movie (around 60 GB -Blade Runner 2049- from a NFS on Syno NAS) with the Fire Stick 4k and a gigabit ethernet adapter?
Does it work or does Kodi spend its time re-buffering?

Thanks !

Here it plays fine even using the AC wireless network.
(2019-12-24, 03:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Just get something like a complementary GigaE LAN equipped UGOOS X2 Cube and run CoreELEC Kodi on it from a Samsung EVO or Sandisk U1 micoSDHC card. You will not have to worry about 4K HDR HD home networked audio and video files playback them.
Auto everything will just work.

The 2019 Shield in its current form is running Beta Firmware due to ongoing colorspace issues again. Or you can become a NVIDIA Beta Firmware tester with their Hotfix program, which then can result in further problems.
That is really unacceptable for any expensive, mainstrem, retail level 4K HDR media player, sold in 2019.

Really? I was not aware of a firmware issue on the Shield 2019.
At the same time, I didn't watch either ...
But I agree, considering the price, it's unacceptable.

(2019-12-24, 12:46)fritsch Wrote: The Gigabit Adapter will work shitty as your connection is just USB 2.0 - if you don't force it to 100 Mbit/s it won't work stable at all. I play such files with AC wireless, get up to 50 MegaByte / s.

I thought about it this morning, and indeed, I suspected that a gigabit adapter would not work well on USB2.0 ... However, instability? :o

(2019-12-24, 13:25)gilsonsjc Wrote: Here it plays fine even using the AC wireless network.

Big file with kodi so? :o
Maybe the solution is to buy a new AP (Ubiquiti AC Lite)
(2019-12-23, 14:35)fritsch Wrote: So - there is a third alternative: One of you guys has his AVR wrongly cabled ;-)

@88keyz  Could you compare the same file with and without PT? For you _both times_ the mapping is identical?

PCM mapping only has any influence if we don't passthrough. So a correct test would in fact be: Does the output match between PT and PCM out.

I used the following test file, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 Channel Check, because it will output 7.1 audio via passthrough on both Shield TV and Fire TV Stick 4K.  I tested surround channel mapping with both official and test builds.

Shield TV connected to Denon amp w/ 7.1 channel speakers

kodi-18.5-Leia-arm64-v8a

Passthrough Side & Rear Channel Mapping - Correct
PCM Decoded Side & Rear Channel Mapping - Correct

kodi-20191221-f7b916c9-fritschfiretv-arm64-v8a

PCM Decoded Side & Rear Channel Mapping - Reversed

Fire TV Stick 4K connected to Denon amp w/ 7.1 channel speakers

kodi-18.5-Leia-armeabi-v7a

kodi-20191221-f7b916c9-fritschfiretv-armeabi-v7a

kodi-20191223-900df877-fritschfiretv-armeabi-v7a

TV: Sony XBR-65X950G  A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X3600H (Atmos 5.2.4)  UHD: Panasonic DP-UB820  BD: Sony BDP-S6200 (Region Free)
Media Players: 2019 Nvidia SHIELD TV Pro, 2015 Nvidia SHIELD TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max, S905X3 CoreELEC Device
(2019-12-26, 14:47)PouleYe Wrote:  
(2019-12-24, 12:46)fritsch Wrote: The Gigabit Adapter will work shitty as your connection is just USB 2.0 - if you don't force it to 100 Mbit/s it won't work stable at all. I play such files with AC wireless, get up to 50 MegaByte / s.

I thought about it this morning, and indeed, I suspected that a gigabit adapter would not work well on USB2.0 ... However, instability? :o
I've been using the UGREEN USB 3.0 Hub Ethernet Adapter 10/100/1000 Gigabit Adapter on my Fire TV Stick 4K since day 1, never a single issue with network or device instability.  Using this adapter via the USB 2.0 port on the 4K requires a microUSB OTG cable such as this one.  The UGREEN Network Adapter USB 3.0 to Ethernet RJ45 Lan Gigabit Adapter would also work just fine if you don't want the additional USB ports.

Using a USB 3.0 Gigabit Adapter on the 4K gives me a stable 320-330Mbit download when I test via analiti on my gigabit network connection and buffer free streaming of files with greater than 50,000kbps data rate over my network via NFS from my Linux file server.
TV: Sony XBR-65X950G  A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X3600H (Atmos 5.2.4)  UHD: Panasonic DP-UB820  BD: Sony BDP-S6200 (Region Free)
Media Players: 2019 Nvidia SHIELD TV Pro, 2015 Nvidia SHIELD TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max, S905X3 CoreELEC Device
(2019-12-26, 16:35)88keyz Wrote:
(2019-12-23, 14:35)fritsch Wrote: So - there is a third alternative: One of you guys has his AVR wrongly cabled ;-)

@88keyz  Could you compare the same file with and without PT? For you _both times_ the mapping is identical?

PCM mapping only has any influence if we don't passthrough. So a correct test would in fact be: Does the output match between PT and PCM out.

I used the following test file, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 Channel Check, because it will output 7.1 audio via passthrough on both Shield TV and Fire TV Stick 4K.  I tested surround channel mapping with both official and test builds.

Shield TV connected to Denon amp w/ 7.1 channel speakers

kodi-18.5-Leia-arm64-v8a

kodi-20191221-f7b916c9-fritschfiretv-arm64-v8a

Fire TV Stick 4K connected to Denon amp w/ 7.1 channel speakers

kodi-18.5-Leia-armeabi-v7a

kodi-20191221-f7b916c9-fritschfiretv-armeabi-v7a

kodi-20191223-900df877-fritschfiretv-armeabi-v7a

Good - then we won't change anything in our channel mapping. Thanks much, means: original info about the reverse was a hoax ;-)

Argh ... now I see it. FireTV needs my channel swap, nvidia shield does not - sad :-(

We need a third device with PCM capabilities and 7.1 setup to check which device is actually wrong :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-12-26, 17:12)88keyz Wrote: I've been using the UGREEN USB 3.0 Hub Ethernet Adapter 10/100/1000 Gigabit Adapter on my Fire TV Stick 4K since day 1, never a single issue with network or device instability.  Using this adapter via the USB 2.0 port on the 4K requires a microUSB OTG cable such as this one.  The UGREEN Network Adapter USB 3.0 to Ethernet RJ45 Lan Gigabit Adapter would also work just fine if you don't want the additional USB ports.

Using a USB 3.0 Gigabit Adapter on the 4K gives me a stable 320-330Mbit download when I test via analiti on my gigabit network connection and buffer free streaming of files with greater than 50,000kbps data rate over my network via NFS from my Linux file server. 

If the Wi-Fi does not work well (I ordered my Ubiquiti AP yesterday: P), I will switch to wired gig.
Thanks !
(2019-12-27, 12:44)PouleYe Wrote:
(2019-12-26, 17:12)88keyz Wrote: I've been using the UGREEN USB 3.0 Hub Ethernet Adapter 10/100/1000 Gigabit Adapter on my Fire TV Stick 4K since day 1, never a single issue with network or device instability.  Using this adapter via the USB 2.0 port on the 4K requires a microUSB OTG cable such as this one.  The UGREEN Network Adapter USB 3.0 to Ethernet RJ45 Lan Gigabit Adapter would also work just fine if you don't want the additional USB ports.

If the Wi-Fi does not work well (I ordered my Ubiquiti AP yesterday: P), I will switch to wired gig.
Thanks ! 
The Fire TV 4K stick has the best Wifi I've seen in any streaming device I've owned. I do wish they would make another FireTV box in the future, though so we don't have to buy wired adapters.
(2020-01-05, 00:35)Kodroid Wrote:
(2019-12-27, 12:44)PouleYe Wrote:

Thanks !  
The Fire TV 4K stick has the best Wifi I've seen in any streaming device I've owned. I do wish they would make another FireTV box in the future, though so we don't have to buy wired adapters. 

Full agree.
I have rooted fire 4k stick.
As i understand there is no system sound volume? How to control YouTube volume then? Stick in TV -> spdif out -> dac - > preamp - > amp.
I don't want to spend >300 $ for AV receiver only for that.
Only kodi have own sound volume control but how about other software?
(2020-01-06, 22:52)Nuke Wrote: I have rooted fire 4k stick.
As i understand there is no system sound volume? How to control YouTube volume then? Stick in TV -> spdif out -> dac - > preamp - > amp.
I don't want to spend >300 $ for AV receiver only for that.
Only kodi have own sound volume control but how about other software?

Your TV remote.
I recently purchased Fire Stick 4K, and installed Kodi 18.5 on it, and everytihg is working fine.  The problem I'm having is that I'm running out of space.  I'm using a NAS for storage, and I have a very large number of movies, Anime and TV shows, etc. Scraping all these videos generates a huge amount of data from posters, fanart, actors, etc.

So I tried to add a 128GB thumb drive, and followed the instructions on Troypoint on how to add the storage.  I formatted the USB drive 50/50, and it seems to work, but while I can put Kodi (the app) on the USB drive, all the data it generates is still on the internal storage.

Is there a way to move all that data to the USB, and have Kodi use it from there?
I have a 4K Fire Stick directly plugged into a Samsung 4K TV. What are the recommended Frame Rate settings for the Fire Stick, and Kodi?
Just turn on "Adjust Refreshrate to match video on start / stop". Don't change the Whitelist, keep it empty.

For audio. The Samsung might do AC3, but not DTS. Therefore you could enable AC3, keep speakers to 2.0 and enable Dolby Transcoding.
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3