• 102(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2021-02-11, 18:24)hdmkv Wrote: Storage isn't just for media... the paltry 8GB, of which there's only really like 5GB usable, is too little for apps and their data. Also, Amazon needs to increase RAM with their devices to help with performance.

It depends on the use case. I hardly have apps that needs much data. If more is needed Amazon has the answer: the Cube.

But that's 2 different markets and packing much more in a stick may be challenging.
(2021-02-11, 16:11)svemonix Wrote: I don't need more storage. This is a streaming device which implicitly means that the media are stored somewhere else. Anyway, I assume storage will be expandable via usb for those who wants like the other sticks.

I'm not quite sure what newer SoC they could pick to avoid killing the already poorly performing (in terms of sales) Cube.
By storage I mean the storage for apps which are getting bigger and bigger. There's just over 5GB usable  of the 8GB space on our 4K Stick. We should have at least 12GB usable. No reason to have 8GB on any Android device anymore. There's cheap prepaid phones with 32GB these days.

I  want the Cube to die. Give me a normal, flat box or just make the 4K Stick more powerful. Either way, I wish for the death of the Cube.
(2021-02-10, 15:21)svemonix Wrote:
(2021-02-09, 18:48)hdmkv Wrote: Possible new 4K stick.

Sounds very likely considering the stick 4k is out of stock on Amazon US for some time.

Also, I noticed stocks getting low on Xiaomi Mi Box S and Apple TV so new models may be around the corner there too.
Just ordered 2 "old" 4K sticks in Germany, there is still some stock available it seems.

Offtopic: Xiaomi Mi Box S Pro is announced, but there is no "International" version with Android TV as it seems at this moment. Storage has gone up to 16GB.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2021-01-30, 14:44)Kodroid Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 22:30)chratoc Wrote: Does DTS work now with latest firmware?
There's been a couple of minor updates and we are now at 6.2.7.7 (NS6277/3033)
Did these minor updates, I noticed one a couple days ago, fix any issues with Kodi audio?
Is DTS pass through still broken?
I stopped using my Firestick 4K, since the origional 6.2.7.7 update, and was very disappointed.
Audio only speaking, what version does the Kodi community recommend?
(2021-02-12, 00:27)Kodroid Wrote:
(2021-02-11, 16:11)svemonix Wrote: I don't need more storage. This is a streaming device which implicitly means that the media are stored somewhere else. Anyway, I assume storage will be expandable via usb for those who wants like the other sticks.

I'm not quite sure what newer SoC they could pick to avoid killing the already poorly performing (in terms of sales) Cube.
By storage I mean the storage for apps which are getting bigger and bigger. There's just over 5GB usable  of the 8GB space on our 4K Stick. We should have at least 12GB usable. No reason to have 8GB on any Android device anymore. There's cheap prepaid phones with 32GB these days.

I  want the Cube to die. Give me a normal, flat box or just make the 4K Stick more powerful. Either way, I wish for the death of the Cube.

I believe it is more likely to have a little RAM increase than storage. The Shield TV is 3 times the cost of a Stick 4k and has 8 GB. The newly release Chromecast with Google TV also has 8 GB.

So much hate for the poor cube!
Will this fix all of the problems with the latest AFTV4K firmware?

https://www.gizmochina.com/2021/02/13/yo...-stick-4k/

How long will we have the Kodi community support if we use this AndroidTV firmware?
Basically, we don't support "devices" but "Android standards. Every device is welcome, though we won't try to fix device specific Firmware shortcomings in the application.

For the unlocked firmware: Great news. Gives users a choice.

Though, I fear that certain things, starting with "DRM" stuff will sadly stop to work as the security chain is not given anymore. Most likely the device is now in non-secure mode.

PS: I did not read the article completely, it should be mentioned there.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2021-02-14, 15:18)mountainhill2 Wrote: Will this fix all of the problems with the latest AFTV4K firmware?

How long will we have the Kodi community support if we use this AndroidTV firmware?

That appears to be related to the work done here -> https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide...6.4208859/      which, if I'm reading the thread correctly,  requires unlocking the bootloader on the FireTV Stick, keeps the Fire OS (although downgrades to 6.2.7.6 which could help KODI),  installs the Google Launcher and some Google services, a custom kernel and a few other modules.     

It doesn't wipe away the stock Fire OS and apps, and replace it with only Android TV OS and apps.   The stick will still be running Fire OS underneath. 

Two keys from the original XDA thread...     
Code:
Widevine DRM (Netflix, PrimeVideo etc. works fine)
Kodi Audio Passthrough
so that is nice, but with it being Fire OS 6.2.7.6 that would explain the KODI Passthrough...
(2021-02-14, 21:26)Mark_Venture Wrote:
(2021-02-14, 15:18)mountainhill2 Wrote: Will this fix all of the problems with the latest AFTV4K firmware?

That appears to be related to the work done here -> https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide...6.4208859/      which, if I'm reading the thread correctly,  requires unlocking the bootloader on the FireTV Stick, keeps the Fire OS (although downgrades to 6.2.7.6 which could help KODI),  installs the Google Launcher and some Google services, a custom kernel and a few other modules.     

It doesn't wipe away the stock Fire OS and apps, and replace it with only Android TV OS and apps.   The stick will still be running Fire OS underneath. 

Code:
Kodi Audio Passthrough
so that is nice, but with it being Fire OS 6.2.7.6 that would explain the KODI Passthrough...
Thanks for pointing out the XDA thread.
I think I'll stick with the official Amazon firmware for now as AFTV4K is my primary media player.
Don't want to mess with it and receive the wrath of the whole family Smile

Code:
Kodi Audio Passthrough
Looks to me like this is just replacing the launcher and does not replace the underlying FireOS with a vanilla Android TV.
(2021-02-15, 11:22)svemonix Wrote:

Code:
Kodi Audio Passthrough
Looks to me like this is just replacing the launcher and does not replace the underlying FireOS with a vanilla Android TV.
Some Android Apps don't work in AFTV4K because it's missing some Google services/frameworks. I'm wondering if this hack will install those missing services/frameworks.
Hi everyone, 

First post here - and thanks for an amazing community!

I’m having an issue and I did my best to search for an answer before asking…but I keep coming up empty. 

I have two 4K Firesticks, both on the same version of Kodi 18.9 - an October 24th 2020 release from Fritsch.  I like this version, it seems to be pretty stable. 

-Firestick #1 is right next to my router upstairs and is connected via 5GHz WiFi. 
-Firestick #2 is in the basement and is hard wired, and I have bought the official Amazon ethernet adaptor.

For some reason, Firestick #2, the hardwired one, cannot handle 4K videos that seem to be above 55-60GB in size.  I get constant buffering (maybe every 3-5 minutes), making those high resolution movies unwatchable. 
Upstairs, the wi-fi connected Firestick works absolutely perfect….

Has anyone else run into this?
(2021-02-16, 20:39)risetown Wrote: -Firestick #1 is right next to my router upstairs and is connected via 5GHz WiFi. 
-Firestick #2 is in the basement and is hard wired, and I have bought the official Amazon ethernet adaptor.

For some reason, Firestick #2, the hardwired one, cannot handle 4K videos that seem to be above 55-60GB in size.  I get constant buffering (maybe every 3-5 minutes), making those high resolution movies unwatchable. 

The Amazon adapter is only 100M. You need a gigabit adapter.

Over WiFi the stick can do >200M.
Among the other suggestions for a potential new 4K Stick, USB 3 would be nice.  That would help with LAN speeds, among other things.
(2021-02-16, 23:19)Luke M Wrote:
(2021-02-16, 20:39)risetown Wrote: -Firestick #1 is right next to my router upstairs and is connected via 5GHz WiFi. 

The Amazon adapter is only 100M. You need a gigabit adapter.

Over WiFi the stick can do >200M.
Thanks Luke! I just purchased the adapter recommended on page #1 of this forum.  I'll send an update in a few weeks when it arrives. Cheers.
  • 102(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3