• 103(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL 2.1 soundbar w/Fire Stick 4K built in for $75 on Woot.
Sold out.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2021-02-16, 23:19)Luke M Wrote: You need a gigabit adapter

If it is 60 GB for 2 hours then it is only 70 Mb/s needed.
(2021-02-17, 12:32)svemonix Wrote:
(2021-02-16, 23:19)Luke M Wrote: You need a gigabit adapter

If it is 60 GB for 2 hours then it is only 70 Mb/s needed.
That's assuming constant bitrate encoding rather than variable bitrate isn't it?  

You could easily end up with bitrate peaks far above 100Mbs and troughs well below 70Mbs if that figure is an average across the 2 hour movie. Buffering may help smooth those out across a 100Mbs connection - but it might not be able to mitigate sustained peaks during busy sequences that need higher bitrates.
(2021-02-17, 13:18)noggin Wrote: You could easily end up with bitrate peaks far above 100Mbs and troughs well below 70Mbs if that figure is an average across the 2 hour movie. Buffering may help smooth those out across a 100Mbs connection - but it might not be able to mitigate sustained peaks during busy sequences that need higher bitrates.

The question is how many movies actually have a sustained peak higher than 100 Mb/s for a significant amount of time.

From what I've seen, bit rates above 100 Mb/s are typically only for a few minutes per movie with only a few second of so called sustained peak >100. That shouldn't be an issue with a proper buffer and the 30% bandwidth margin.
(2021-02-17, 16:20)svemonix Wrote:
(2021-02-17, 13:18)noggin Wrote: You could easily end up with bitrate peaks far above 100Mbs and troughs well below 70Mbs if that figure is an average across the 2 hour movie. Buffering may help smooth those out across a 100Mbs connection - but it might not be able to mitigate sustained peaks during busy sequences that need higher bitrates.

The question is how many movies actually have a sustained peak higher than 100 Mb/s for a significant amount of time.

From what I've seen, bit rates above 100 Mb/s are typically only for a few minutes per movie with only a few second of so called sustained peak >100. That shouldn't be an issue with a proper buffer and the 30% bandwidth margin.
Good point about the variable bit rate... from personal observation, one of the films that buffers for me is the Pixar film Moana. Certain scenes where there's a lot of action, or big waves crashing, seems to choke it...my new gigabit adapter doesn't arrive for a few weeks but as soon as I have it, I'll report back to see if it solves the issue.
https://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-4...-in-march/
(2021-02-18, 01:55)Kodroid Wrote: https://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-4...-in-march/

I guess the big question is: FireOS update or not?

ISTR that it's a big enough issue on a number of devices that people have had to get GigE USB 3.0 adaptors and use them in USB 2.0 ports (to deliver >200Mbs connectivity) as even with a chunky buffer, some titles have sustained sequences with bitrates too high for 100Mbs connections to cope with (particularly if you are using SMB which has a higher overhead than NFS)
(2021-02-18, 11:31)svemonix Wrote:
(2021-02-18, 01:55)Kodroid Wrote: https://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-4...-in-march/

I guess the big question is: FireOS update or not?
You make it sound as if we had a choice. It will be just like the last update.  You will likely wake up and find a bunch of new features broken on your device without your consent.

What are people reporting as far as Kodi compatibility on the newer Amazon devices that already have this update?
(2021-02-18, 12:06)noggin Wrote:

ISTR that it's a big enough issue on a number of devices that people have had to get GigE USB 3.0 adaptors and use them in USB 2.0 ports (to deliver >200Mbs connectivity) as even with a chunky buffer, some titles have sustained sequences with bitrates too high for 100Mbs connections to cope with (particularly if you are using SMB which has a higher overhead than NFS)

I forgot to add in my original post that my home server is a pretty old QNAP system, that is connected via SMB. Based on some of the comments here.. I have a good feeling this Ethernet adapter should solve my issue 🤞
(2021-02-18, 12:27)wizziwig Wrote: You make it sound as if we had a choice. It will be just like the last update. 
You misunderstood. There could be a FireOS upgrade from 6.X to 7.X.
(2021-02-18, 15:06)risetown Wrote: I forgot to add in my original post that my home server is a pretty old QNAP system, that is connected via SMB. Based on some of the comments here.. I have a good feeling this Ethernet adapter should solve my issue 🤞

What kind of old QNAP? It could be the QNAP that's chocking too especially with SMB3 (signing + encryption).
i'm reading that auto frame rate is important, so in this case of firestick 4k that doesn't support auto frame rate for netflix, how bad is it? is frame stuttering really noticeable?
(2021-02-18, 15:34)svemonix Wrote:
(2021-02-18, 15:06)risetown Wrote: I forgot to add in my original post that my home server is a pretty old QNAP system, that is connected via SMB. Based on some of the comments here.. I have a good feeling this Ethernet adapter should solve my issue 🤞

What kind of old QNAP? It could be the QNAP that's chocking too especially with SMB3 (signing + encryption).

I know it's not the QNAP because the Firestick 4K upstairs that's connected via WiFi works absolutely flawless on the same movies that are giving being problems in the basement Firestick that's hardwired. It's a QNAP TS-409...yes it probably belongs in a museum at this point but she's still kicking!
Can anyone confirm if it is possible to watch this kind of file?

Thank you!
  • 103(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3