XBOX Xbox One X - Kodi 4K HDR Playback
(2018-10-10, 02:58)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-10-10, 01:58)cv15xbmc Wrote: So ATV4K: no atmos, no passthrough, no 4K YouTube
The Apple TV 4K does lossy Atmos audio when using copy protected video streaming Apps like iTunes, Netlix and VUDU.

It cannot do Bluray Rips Atmos Audio passthrough.

Also to add is the Shield does below average 1080p > 4K picture upscaling. Kodi Leia has a workaround for that within 1080p / 4K resolution switching, but other Apps miss out.
The Shield also has no Dolby audio license to support older DD only equipment and no DolbyVision support if you have a 4K DV TV and Apps that support that type of HDR.

There are other limitations .....

Read the linked sticky threads at the top of the forum, there is already plenty of information already written about various platforms limitation and ongoing problems. 
Sorry for the necro bump. But: waaaaaaat? The NVidia Shield won't pass true, or decode into multi-channel LPCM, good old Dolby Digital? That means that you cannot listen to 5.1 sound from DVD images? Is that what not having the Dolby audio licence means?
(2019-02-10, 20:15)xbmcuser01 Wrote:
(2018-10-10, 02:58)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-10-10, 01:58)cv15xbmc Wrote: So ATV4K: no atmos, no passthrough, no 4K YouTube
The Apple TV 4K does lossy Atmos audio when using copy protected video streaming Apps like iTunes, Netlix and VUDU.

Also to add is the Shield does below average 1080p > 4K picture upscaling. Kodi Leia has a workaround for that within 1080p / 4K resolution switching, but other Apps miss out.
The Shield also has no Dolby audio license to support older DD only equipment and no DolbyVision support if you have a 4K DV TV and Apps that support that type of HDR.

Read the linked sticky threads at the top of the forum, there is already plenty of information already written about various platforms limitation and ongoing problems.   
Sorry for the necro bump. But: waaaaaaat? The NVidia Shield won't pass true, or decode into multi-channel LPCM, good old Dolby Digital? That means that you cannot listen to 5.1 sound from DVD images? Is that what not having the Dolby audio licence means?  

No...

The Shield TV issue is that if you watch Netflix or Amazon Prime DD+ content via their Apps, the Shield can't transcode this to legacy DD within its Android TV OS, nor can it decode to PCM 5.1/7.1 within its OS.  It can only bitstream it (or decode to PCM 2.0?)

Within Kodi you get full DTS HD, Dolby True HD, DD+, DD, DTS bitstreaming (and I think True HD + Atmos and DTS:x) plus you get all the Kodi options of PCM 5.1/7.1 decode and transcode to DD - as Kodi handles that, not the Android TV OS.

The limitation wrxtasy is talking about is purely a limitation when using the Shield TV with the Netflix/Amazon apps with a non-DD+ compatible amp, because nVidia can't do a DD+ decode in their OS build as they don't have a DD+ licence.
(2019-02-11, 12:25)noggin Wrote:
(2019-02-10, 20:15)xbmcuser01 Wrote:
(2018-10-10, 02:58)wrxtasy Wrote: The Apple TV 4K does lossy Atmos audio when using copy protected video streaming Apps like iTunes, Netlix and VUDU.

No...

The Shield TV issue is that if you watch Netflix or Amazon Prime DD+ content via their Apps, the Shield can't transcode this to legacy DD within its Android TV OS, nor can it decode to PCM 5.1/7.1 within its OS.  It can only bitstream it (or decode to PCM 2.0?)

Within Kodi you get full DTS HD, Dolby True HD, DD+, DD, DTS bitstreaming (and I think True HD + Atmos and DTS:x) plus you get all the Kodi options of PCM 5.1/7.1 decode and transcode to DD - as Kodi handles that, not the Android TV OS.

The limitation wrxtasy is talking about is purely a limitation when using the Shield TV with the Netflix/Amazon apps with a non-DD+ compatible amp, because nVidia can't do a DD+ decode in their OS build as they don't have a DD+ licence. 
Thank you for clearing that up. The Nvidia Shield is still (reasonably) good hardware for people who want 4k output from Kodi then. Smile
It's been a year now, any change with this or still a no go?
A year and a half.

Anyone?
19.2 Xbox specifics
The big news here is that we can finally make 19.x "Matrix" available on the Xbox - thanks for putting up with the delay while we fixed the blockers!
Fixed: crash on playback of 4K HEVC videos due to out-of-memory condition.
Fixed: GUI rendered at 1080 and upscaled to 4K instead of native 4K.
Fixed: 4K resolution is incorrectly reported in logs as 1920x1080.
Fixed: crash when "Switch display refresh rate at Start/Stop" is enabled with 4K resolution.
Fixed: tone mapping not used by default at playback HDR videos.
Fixed: missing display refresh rate info on Video Debug Info OSD (Alt+O).
Fixed: Internet SSL connectivity not working due not usable path to built-in CA certs bundle.
Improved: swap chain performance using DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD.
Improved: 10-bit swap chain surfaces are used if an HDR-capable TV is detected (even for 8-bit SDR videos).
Improved: HEVC DXVA2 decoder performance using 128 byte aligned decoder surfaces.
I can't wait to see Kodi 19.2 on Xbox S/X. If it works as well as usually, the Xbox will turn into a great multimedia platform!
At the moment I use Odroid N2 for movies and TV.
Quick update: we're now waiting for approval to use restricted capabilities (more than 1Gb of system memory) from Microsoft before they publish it.
(2021-10-15, 10:13)Hitcher Wrote: Quick update: we're now waiting for approval to use restricted capabilities (more than 1Gb of system memory) from Microsoft before they publish it.

I read about this problem long time ago, may be it is not only this problem, but 500MB for 4k HDR and HD audio is really not enough. As I know from the SBCs - RPi4 2GB Ram version is probably the minimum. RPi3 with its 1GB Ram can run only 1080p.
As someone somewhere said - MS have to look at Kodi as a game, and it will not have a problem any more Smile
(2021-10-15, 11:00)miroshi Wrote: As I know from the SBCs - RPi4 2GB Ram version is probably the minimum. RPi3 with its 1GB Ram can run only 1080p.
As someone somewhere said - MS have to look at Kodi as a game, and it will not have a problem any more Smile

The reason the Pi4 can play UHD and the Pi3B and below can't is largely because the Pi 3B only has a VPU capable of hardware acceleration of 1080p and lower resolutions (it has hardware acceleration for h.264 as standard, with VC-1 and MPEG2 available via low-cost licensed codecs if you want them hardware accelerated), whilst the Pi4B added a separate, h.265 UHD-capable hardware decoder in addition to the existing Pi3B and below VPU.  This new, additional, UHD-compatible h.265 decoder component added to the Pi 4B is why it can do hardware acceleration - not the greater amount of RAM.

If you had 4GB of RAM in a Pi 3B you still wouldn't get hardware accelerated h.265 UHD support.
(2021-10-16, 11:52)noggin Wrote:
(2021-10-15, 11:00)miroshi Wrote: As I know from the SBCs - RPi4 2GB Ram version is probably the minimum. RPi3 with its 1GB Ram can run only 1080p.

The reason the Pi4 can play UHD and the Pi3B and below can't is largely because the Pi 3B only has a VPU capable of hardware acceleration of 1080p and lower resolutions (it has hardware acceleration for h.264 as standard, with VC-1 and MPEG2 available via low-cost licensed codecs if you want them hardware accelerated), whilst the Pi4B added a separate, h.265 UHD-capable hardware decoder in addition to the existing Pi3B and below VPU.  This new, additional, UHD-compatible h.265 decoder component added to the Pi 4B is why it can do hardware acceleration - not the greater amount of RAM.

If you had 4GB of RAM in a Pi 3B you still wouldn't get hardware accelerated h.265 UHD support.
Thanks!
Did you read the last update from Kodi? - they wait MS to approve them using the additional amount of RAM.
(2021-10-21, 12:17)miroshi Wrote: Did you read the last update from Kodi? - they wait MS to approve them using the additional amount of RAM.

Yes - that's a point specific to the Xbox platform and the way Kodi runs on it. My point was clarifying your post about the Pi 3B not being able to play UHD because it only had 1GB of RAM. (Whereas in reality it can't play UHD because it doesn't have a VPU capable of UHD resolution decoding of any mainstream codec used for UHD. Even if it had 8GB it wouldn't be able to)
Xbox ver auto updated to 19.3
https://ibb.co/Jk86GYg
Guys, did someone tested Kodi 19.3 on Xbox.
I have a problem finding my Samba shared directory with videos. May be the problem is this directory is on Linux machine...
I have no problems to connect with my RPi3 and Odroid.

Any help?
Regards!
(2021-11-01, 16:03)miroshi Wrote: I have a problem finding my Samba shared directory with videos.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3068227

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One X - Kodi 4K HDR Playback0