Close channel OSD after switching channels
Did the setting (https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/TV/Menu_OSD) 'Close channel osd after switch channels' go away in leia?

I cannot find this setting and on one of my kodi v.18 beta, windows 10 settings, when I am in the live tv (epg) guide and I click on a channel to watch the guide does not close, and will only close by hitting 'esc', on my other kodi setups it goes away automatically.
(2018-10-08, 04:00)clones Wrote: Did the setting (https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/TV/Menu_OSD) 'Close channel osd after switch channels' go away in leia?

I cannot find this setting and on one of my kodi v.18 beta, windows 10 settings, when I am in the live tv (epg) guide and I click on a channel to watch the guide does not close, and will only close by hitting 'esc', on my other kodi setups it goes away automatically.
Any thoughts?
(2018-10-11, 13:52)clones Wrote:
(2018-10-08, 04:00)clones Wrote: Did the setting (https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/TV/Menu_OSD) 'Close channel osd after switch channels' go away in leia?

Any thoughts?

Yes, this has been removed because it never ever (!) had some functionality. There was simply no code "behind". Strange, but a matter of fact.

And actually this setting is not needed. If you set "show channel information when switching channels" to something else than "off" the O SD will disappear automatically after the time indicated by the settings value.
(2018-10-11, 14:27)ksooo Wrote:
(2018-10-11, 13:52)clones Wrote:

Any thoughts? 

Yes, this has been removed because it never ever (!) had some functionality. There was simply no code "behind". Strange, but a matter of fact.

And actually this setting is not needed. If you set "show channel information when switching channels" to something else than "off" the O SD will disappear automatically after the time indicated by the settings value. 
 Thanks Ksooo.  "Show channel information when switching channels" has been set to 5 secs, (I even tried 4 secs, & off), and the epg guide does not close, even if I wait for over minute or more. (This is the only computer which does it, my others', the guide closes automatically.)
I believe the option closechannelosdonswitch option which was available in krypton and earlier versions IS NOT DUMMY and a must. The reason is, if we use the osd menu , when zapping the channel list, if we go on any channel, then the OSD closes and this is ridiculous. As for me, if the OSD needs to be closed, the user must have the option to do so with a backspace Key or other key combination. Otherwise on every zap on OSD we have to open the OSD channel list, which is useless. 

Am I the only one living the problem? I really cant believe this option has been removed.Attached are OSD before and after switching channels.

İmage After

İmage Before
Any thoughts or replies?
I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry. The before/after pictures tell me nothing.
And I say it again: if you have seen any change in behavior after changing the setting value in Krypton or earlier, this was only in your imagination.

As I said, I studied the program code behind this setting to understand what it actually did... and found that there was no (!) program code associated to the setting! It was a placebo. So, I removed it.
My friend,
I still believe and see it is not placebo. 
In the picture "before" there is an OSD layer which is used to browse channels on the OSD which pops up by the key shortcut "C". And after switching to any channel, this OSD layer which is popped up by key shortcut "C" closes. Everytime I want to browse any channel I need to press "C" again and again OSD closes after any channel switch.
Please acknowledge that I am not talking about the classic channel OSD, what I am talking about is different which is triggerred by key shortcut "C".

In Krypton, it was provided with the setting in the image below ;

OSD setting in Krypton

I hope I am clear enough and I am sure it works, so please check it once more. 

One more issue is, in kodi 17.6, there was no black screen while switching channels, which earlier channel last image stayed on screen for a while and comes the next channel image, but I guess this is totally change of tons of code which is something totally different.
I will appreciate if you just can put the setting back for me Smile I guess there are some cpp source files which need to be edited and more. I really even tried to edit the guisettingsxml file to get that menu back of course didnt work. I desperately need that setting.

Thank you.
Again, even though there was a setting value to see in Krypton, there was no functionality behind. IT WAS A DUMMY.

Send me a video for Krypton and Estuary (!) showing where you

a) deactivate the setting (don't close osd)
b) start live TV in full screen
c) press c to bring up the channel osd
d) start playing another channel from there
e) press back in full screen live TV
... and the channel osd is there again

... and post another video please, where you do the same as above with the only difference that you activate the setting in step 1

EDIT: I think I now understand what you want, it's not "back" reactivating the channel OSD, right? I misunderstood this. You want the osd not to close after selecting a new channel, you want the new channel playing "behind" the osd, right?

Even though this might have worked with Krypton (have to check) the placebo setting definitely had no influence on this. I guess that the hard witef Krypton behavior was doing simply just what you want. Can you confirm that?

EDIT2: this is something completely different from what the OP wants to discuss, btw
I have to revise what I wrote. You are right, the setting was no placebo in Krypton. It controlled actually the feature you're describing here.

The setting code got lost during a major refactoring during Leia alpha phase. Later on I also removed the setting gui as I thought it had never had any functionality.

I guess I will reintroduce the setting now that I understand the whole story.
I am very glad to see you figured it out my friend. I worth my efforts to convince you that the Kodi community in Leia will get that feature, which is crucial in my opinion.

Thanks again.....
I will also appreciate if you can let me know when you reintroduce the setting to Leia...

Thanks...
(2019-02-04, 18:19)donjuano Wrote: I will also appreciate if you can let me know when you reintroduce the setting to Leia...

Thanks...
 https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15420

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Close channel OSD after switching channels0