DVB-T/T2 on Android
Hi,

I have a Android TV Box with AMLogic S912 chipset. I would like to add a DVB-T2 tuner to be able to receive terrestrial TV broadcasting. I searched some old threads and the answer was always that this is not possible.

Is there any new development of an Android server and client plugin? Thank you.
(2018-10-15, 13:34)jech Wrote: Hi,

I have a Android TV Box with AMLogic S912 chipset. I would like to add a DVB-T2 tuner to be able to receive terrestrial TV broadcasting. I searched some old threads and the answer was always that this is not possible.

Is there any new development of an Android server and client plugin? Thank you.
 Do you have to run Android on your box?  If LibreElec on the S912 works for your needs, then as long as your T/T2 tuner is supported in the kernel within LibreElec running on the S912 you can get TV Headend support within LE which will provide you with a DVB-T/T2 PVR back-end that Kodi can then connect to with a PVR front-end.

Alternatively - you may find some hacks that let you run a TV Headend build under Android - but ISTR that this is likely to require rooting or similar of the Android TV install.

(It's worth considering an HD Homerun networked T/T2 tuner, as that removes the need for T/T2 tuner support on your hardware, and only requires network connectivity)
I need Android because of some apps. You think something like the VBox TV Gateway would be the best solution?
There are some MECOOL - AMLogic S905D boxes with built in DVB-T/T2 single MUX tuners.
No idea about the quality of Android Tuner / PVR Software used, plus you can only watch / record at the same time from the same TV channel group due to the single MUX tuner.

Generally current AMLogic Android boxes have lousy quality half motion buggy deinterlacing, that is no good at all for demanding sports viewing that involves lots of movement.
Using LibreELEC / CoreELEC on something like a MECOOL K1 or K3 Pro would produce much better results. Then dual boot into Android when needed.

A USB DVB-T2 tuner can very likely be added to an existing S912 Box - IF - you run LibreELEC / CoreELEC - AND - find someone on those two forums that already has working USB DVB-T2 tuner hardware.

(2018-10-15, 14:54)jech Wrote: I need Android because of some apps. You think something like the VBox TV Gateway would be the best solution?
 No experience of the VBox solution - but I have used the Silicon Dust HD Homeruns.

Another solution is to separate your Kodi platform from your DVB-T/T2 back-end entirely - and build a separate PVR solution with a DVB-T/T2 USB tuner (or HD Homerun) and storage. This removes any need for your Kodi solution to handle PVR duties.  A Raspberry Pi or ODroid or similar low-cost SBC would be fine for that with a single tuner.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVB-T/T2 on Android0