Vero 4K+ with an older AVR?
Question 
I'm looking to upgrade to UHD, but have a ten-year old Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR, which doesn't support UHD content. Therefore I need to run the video directly to my projector, and audio to my AVR.

Does Vero 4K+ support video via HDMI and audio out with TOSLINK or coax? If it does, are there any issues, such as audio sync or switching? Would I get DTS-HD MA audio and other formats this way?
Have you checked to make sure that your receiver won't simply pass the HDMI signal through? That would be the easiest solution. Another option would be to get an HDMI splitter. Run one output to your AVR, the other to the projector. It could also be a perfect excuse to upgrade to a newer AVR. If you're in the US, Fry's Electronics often has some pretty ridiculously good deals on AVRs. I got a Denon X2200W for about 50% off a couple years ago. Even if you don't live within driving range of one, a lot of times their online system will allow you to place an order even though the deal is supposed to be in-store only.
(2018-10-16, 23:17)aerogems Wrote: Have you checked to make sure that your receiver won't simply pass the HDMI signal through? That would be the easiest solution. Another option would be to get an HDMI splitter. Run one output to your AVR, the other to the projector. It could also be a perfect excuse to upgrade to a newer AVR. If you're in the US, Fry's Electronics often has some pretty ridiculously good deals on AVRs. I got a Denon X2200W for about 50% off a couple years ago. Even if you don't live within driving range of one, a lot of times their online system will allow you to place an order even though the deal is supposed to be in-store only.
I don't know if it would pass the HDMI signal. But I've read that older AVRs have problems with UHD content. The HDMI ports are 1.3a, which hints at issues down the line.

I don't feel like spending a thousand euros (or any money) on an AVR which functions perfectly fine, and I have no need of upgrading at the moment.
(2018-10-16, 23:02)Eklar Wrote: I'm looking to upgrade to UHD, but have a ten-year old Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR, which doesn't support UHD content. Therefore I need to run the video directly to my projector, and audio to my AVR.

Does Vero 4K+ support video via HDMI and audio out with TOSLINK or coax? If it does, are there any issues, such as audio sync or switching? Would I get DTS-HD MA audio and other formats this way?
 You can run an optical cable to your amp. This will give you 2.0 channel PCM; DD and DTS. 
When you get the device, you'd want to turn off HDMI audio: which can be done under Settings -> Display -> Mute HDMI audio.

Sam
(2018-10-16, 23:43)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2018-10-16, 23:02)Eklar Wrote: I'm looking to upgrade to UHD, but have a ten-year old Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR, which doesn't support UHD content. Therefore I need to run the video directly to my projector, and audio to my AVR.

You can run an optical cable to your amp. This will give you 2.0 channel PCM; DD and DTS. 
When you get the device, you'd want to turn off HDMI audio: which can be done under Settings -> Display -> Mute HDMI audio.

Sam 
Only 2.0 channels? No 5.1?
You can either downmix 5.1 to 2.0 or enable AC3 transcoding.
SPDIF is limited to 2 channels unfortunately.
(2018-10-17, 00:47)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: You can either downmix 5.1 to 2.0 or enable AC3 transcoding.
SPDIF is limited to 2 channels unfortunately.
I swear SPDIF can do 2 channels of uncompressed PCM audio or 5.1 / 7.1 of compressed AC3 / DTS

I think Sam is talking about 2.0 only data transport channels, due to data bandwidth constraints over optical.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA Rips would use the corresponding Dolby AC3 and DTS audio tracks if they were the only passthrough options selected in Kodi audio settings.

You can indeed get LPCM 2.0; or 5.1 DTS / AC3.

For Dolby TrueHD etc, you just disable these options and the core tracks are passed through.
Depending on how old your equipment is; you may not hear the difference.
(2018-10-17, 01:35)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: You can indeed get LPCM 2.0; or 5.1 DTS / AC3.

For Dolby TrueHD etc, you just disable these options and the core tracks are passed through.
Depending on how old your equipment is; you may not hear the difference.
I can definitely hear the difference. That's a real shame.

So the only option is to buy a new AVR, since Vero doesn't have dual HDMI outs?
Oh, just occurred to me: can I use an HDMI splitter to split audio and video to separate streams, and use HDMI cables to run to my AVR and projector, thus retaining audio streams which require more bandwidth than optical supports (e.g. DTS HD-MA)?

edit: seems like that's hit and miss, mostly miss.
(2018-10-17, 15:04)Eklar Wrote: Oh, just occurred to me: can I use an HDMI splitter to split audio and video to separate streams, and use HDMI cables to run to my AVR and projector, thus retaining audio streams which require more bandwidth than optical supports (e.g. DTS HD-MA)?

The issue you would have is that if you want 4K video and only have an HD AVR - the HDMI splitter won't convert UHD HDMI to HD HDMI for the AVR and the UHD HDMI signal won't be compatible - so even if you split a UHD + HD Audio signal - the AVR won't like the UHD video.

There IS a solution - HD Fury make a number of splitters that also down convert (I think the solution for this is their AVR Linker?)  However it's not a cheap solution.  This will - I believe - take a UHD + HD Audio source and split it to create a UHD video source for a UHD TV, and an HD Video+HD Audio feed for an AVR.  It will also handle any HDCP 2.2 / HDCP 1.4 conversion issues.
(2018-10-17, 18:17)noggin Wrote:
(2018-10-17, 15:04)Eklar Wrote: Oh, just occurred to me: can I use an HDMI splitter to split audio and video to separate streams, and use HDMI cables to run to my AVR and projector, thus retaining audio streams which require more bandwidth than optical supports (e.g. DTS HD-MA)?

The issue you would have is that if you want 4K video and only have an HD AVR - the HDMI splitter won't convert UHD HDMI to HD HDMI for the AVR and the UHD HDMI signal won't be compatible - so even if you split a UHD + HD Audio signal - the AVR won't like the UHD video.

There IS a solution - HD Fury make a number of splitters that also down convert (I think the solution for this is their AVR Linker?)  However it's not a cheap solution.  This will - I believe - take a UHD + HD Audio source and split it to create a UHD video source for a UHD TV, and an HD Video+HD Audio feed for an AVR.  It will also handle any HDCP 2.2 / HDCP 1.4 conversion issues. 
While not cheap, it's definitely cheaper than a new AVR. Thanks, I'll take a closer look!

As I suggested earlier, you could get a 1-in/2-out HDMI splitter and just run one cable to your AVR and the other to your projector. The receiver will get a video signal, but it won't be connected to your projector, so who cares? Just like your projector will get an audio signal, but doesn't have any audio hardware, so will just ignore it. Of course, before buying anything, it seems at least worth seeing what results you can get passing the signal through your AVR. Maybe it will just pass the signal along untouched and the fact that it's not HDCP 2.2 won't matter. If that fails, you have multiple other suggestions ranging in cost from probably sub-$100US to several hundred USD.
(2018-10-17, 19:16)aerogems Wrote:

As I suggested earlier, you could get a 1-in/2-out HDMI splitter and just run one cable to your AVR and the other to your projector. The receiver will get a video signal, but it won't be connected to your projector, so who cares? Just like your projector will get an audio signal, but doesn't have any audio hardware, so will just ignore it. Of course, before buying anything, it seems at least worth seeing what results you can get passing the signal through your AVR. Maybe it will just pass the signal along untouched and the fact that it's not HDCP 2.2 won't matter. If that fails, you have multiple other suggestions ranging in cost from probably sub-$100US to several hundred USD. 
 Yeah, looks like the copy protection is messing up many splitter solutions. Some of the solutions HDFury sells seems to work, though.

I had no idea upgrading to UHD would get so messy, to get three sources to work properly with UHD...
(2018-10-17, 19:16)aerogems Wrote:

That would work if you were running both TV and AVR in HD.  However it begins to fall apart when you have a UHD video source you want to feed to a UHD TV, but then also want to feed the HD audio from the UHD source to an HD-only AVR.  Splitters don't down convert UHD to HD usually - so you end up trying to feed a UHD signal to an HD only AVR (which it won't like unless you are very lucky and aren't interested in HDR or 2160p60 etc), or the splitter sees the AVR is HD only and forces the UHD source to output in HD instead.

There ARE some splitters that will split off HD Audio and add it to HD video black level, and these would also be a solution, but they seem to be a bit undocumented.  The HD Fury stuff usually 'just works'.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero 4K+ with an older AVR?0