Getting slower to startup on large libraries
I've been fighting with kodi over startup times, usually on a resh install the time is reasonable for the hardware.
But over time after more and more is added, the time it takes from powering the media-pc (motherboard with builtin hdmi, i3 4gb ram, and 5400rpm hdd) until Kodi is ully loaded goes from 20-30 seconds (possibly less) to 20-30 minutes or more.

Now, I'm not talking about the system boot, that is still roughly the same as in boot up until I can see an "mouse" cursor on the screen.
At this point, it's kodi itself that is loading, and it has started to take longer and longer just to get started.

As soon as it is up and running, the UI is not slow, playback is fine etc.

(Still having problems with buffers not being freed after an episode or movie is finished or stopped if I skip back and or forward during playback, so ram get's filled up to a point where it starts swapping itself to death and sometimes kodi crashes and loads back up and again takes an age to start just like on powerup)

I tried to mention the ram buffering problem at some point, but the almost angry replies didn't instill much will to continue debugging it.

So, what could cause the initial start of kodi to take so long ?
Sine this only starts to manifest when the content tracked by kodi starts to increase, I'm inclined to suspect some database shenanigans.
@macromarco83

Provide a debug log which captures a startup. It should reveal what is causing the bottleneck.

1. Enable Debugging mode. Go to Settings>System Settings>Logging and it should be the first option
  2. Restart Kodi
  3. Replicate the problem. In this case, just let Kodi start completely.
  4. Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link back here.
Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs

It does not sound like a music issue, so I will move your post once you supply the Debug Log.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Since this is about startup times I have split into a thread of its own (it was tagged onto the end of a discussion of the known issues of  nodes being slow to display when they have many items). I suspect start-up issues are a separate issue, but like @Karellen says will need a debug log to be able to say anything more.
Some tips:

1. Clean your database of unused items with KCleaner and Video Database Cleaner.
2. Optimize your database, like described here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329046
Clearly something weird is going on.  I have a music library of over 22k tracks and a video library with ~600 films and ~80 tv series and none of my Kodi instances take anywhere near 20 minutes to load.  One of my machines is running a Pentium 4 and 1Gb of ram and Kodi is not noticeably slower to load on it than any other machine. (Actually, just checked the logs and it took 39 seconds from starting fresh to opening a radio stream - don't think that's bad for 11 year old hardware).

Should point out though that the databases are hosted on a separate MySQL server, all music is shared via NFS exports and video by a combination of NFS and Samba shares.  Sounds like Kodi could be doing something funky when starting, such as trying to access art etc for streamed videos that are added to the database even though not scanned in, but we're all only guessing without that debug log (wiki).
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I have 100k tracks and no issues with speed Wink kodi is actually very fast at browsing.

Playlists are a little different, but I think thats to be expected.

Scan speed is quite slow though, I think due to all my music being on a NAS and the need to check if the file has changed via the hash.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting slower to startup on large libraries0