v18 Kodi times out waiting for USB hard drive to spin up on Shield
I have a USB hard drive attached to my Shield for OTA recordings.  The hard drive spins down after about 10 minutes.  When I attempt to watch a recording on the drive while it is spun down Kodi will time out before the hard drive spins up.  It isn't a big deal since I just try again and it works.  
Is there a way to set the time longer so Kodi doesn't time out?
Thanks
Go to the drive manufacturer's website. They should have a utility download which can set or disable the power down timeout.
(2018-10-19, 05:53)mr.igor Wrote: Go to the drive manufacturer's website. They should have a utility download which can set or disable the power down timeout.
 They do, but I would prefer to have the hard drive power down when not in use.  
Is there a way to keep the hard drive awake while Kodi is in use?
Run a python script at startup that spawns a background process to access the drive periodically as long as Kodi is running. If you do any coding, this should be fairly easy. [famous last words]

Check out:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=283268
I'm not into coding but I'll keep this in mind if I get to the point that I'm desperate.  
Thanks
I may be incorrect about the problem being Kodi times out.  
If I use a file explorer to access the USB drive when the drive is asleep it spins up within a few seconds and displays the directory.  Everything works as expected.  
This may be a bug in Kodi that causes a problem trying to access the drive while it is asleep.  
I've pasted a log file in the link below:
https://paste.kodi.tv/upecogebiv.kodi
The last action I did is pushed the play button after it didn't work the first time.  I have to wait a lot longer than a few seconds before I can select the play video button after it doesn't work the first time.
Giving this a bump and adding some more information.  
I discovered that if I try to resume playing while the drive is asleep it looses it's place when it finally recovers.  I have to then start playing the recording from the beginning.  This makes the problem a little more annoying.  

Is this a bug or a limitation of Kodi? 

If it is a bug I'll put a bug report in (never done this before but it looks like an opportunity to learn).  

If it is a Kodi limitation I can put a feature request in (not quite sure what to ask for and I've never done a feature request either). 

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi times out waiting for USB hard drive to spin up on Shield0