Req Multi-platform playback
Hi!

I got a quite simple question: Is there any way to already achieve or plan to implement multi-platform playback? I couldn't find any yet, so the answer ain't that easy I guess.
What I'm talking about, is especially the ability to pause a (e.g.) video on one device and resume it on another.

Obviously this probably won't work as easily for online streams, but I got a bunch of content on a NAS. Wouldn't it be fairly easy to add a simple research library file in the library folders where metadata for the contained files is stored that gets read on starting any playback, so not only my android tablet will ask me, if I want to resume playback at point x, but also my htpc - and vice versa. Maybe a combined research file for all sources stored on a NAS - or maybe online - could also do the job.
I guess we all like this feature on Netflix etc., it would definately be a treat for future releases. ;-)
Also: Oops, sry, got in the wrong subforum and can't find an edit-button.
Works since ages when using a shared MySQL database for Kodi.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2018-10-19, 00:59)spectre_ Wrote: Also: Oops, sry, got in the wrong subforum and can't find an edit-button.
Certain features may be disabled for forum new-comers. Moving the topic to another forum section is not necessary IMO.

And as already replied, using a centralized (My)SQL server for all video and music metadata will allow you to use Kodi clients on whatever platform it runs on.
Thread moved to feature requests
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for the quick answers, unfortunately I didn't have the time to answer earlier.

The MySQL database seems to be pretty much what I couldn't find. I am a little concerned about the necessity of using the same Kodi-version though.
This shouldn't be a cross-platform problem, but does it mean, that every update will break the database?
No, the first device that upgrades will see that there's no current database and so will create the new version from the old one (leaving the old one behind in parallel) and will start using it. Then when other devices upgrade they will see and use that newly created database too.

The only slight issue that could happen is if you don't upgrade all devices at the same time whilst still using them then the databases may get out of sync. Then if the device is subsequently upgraded it will pick up the new database but entries it added to the old one after the new one was created will be lost.

Also note they only need to be the same major version (Krypton 17.x, Leia 18.x etc). The minor version bits (the "x" value) doesn't matter as the database version only changes with the major ones.

In the end you'll have the new working database sets plus the legacy old ones which won't change or update any more (presuming there are no devices on your network with the relevant Kodi version still using them). You can then either just leave them there (they aren't very big) or have a clean up and remove them using an SQL admin tool (outside Kodi)
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi-platform playback0