Req External database settings in the main Kodi GUI
I use trakt.tv too as it is a good external backup, but it would be nice for it to be ‘inhouse’ as well as the face that no longer having to setup an external database, and that there would be no advanced settings file needed too, just for that.

It would be cleaner, as well being either an addon, or even better a feature for an upcoming release.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
Isn't the real solution a headless / server-side Kodi that wraps whatever database solution works best?

scott s.
(2018-11-29, 00:58)scott967 Wrote: Isn't the real solution a headless / server-side Kodi that wraps whatever database solution works best?

scott s.

Are you talking about an instance of Kodi, that is launched from a web browser, that deals with all the folder shares as well as the data base? Then all the kodi front ends just hook to that?

That would be cool, as it could take out a lot of the issues that people have, especially if it was able to rename movies etc so everything could be scraped properly.

EDIT: I know we have Emby and Plex that are backends, as well as OMV etc, but something that is database driven made for Kodi out of the box would be much better, and opens up to more possibilities (a dedicated PVR backend by Kodi for example)

The only issue I could see, is that it would mean added support on the forum.....
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
(2018-11-29, 00:58)scott967 Wrote: Isn't the real solution a headless / server-side Kodi that wraps whatever database solution works best?

scott s.
 I would say no... but that would be nice as well Wink

Kodi should aim to be distributed, de-centralized and plug in and play.

No normal user wants to start messing with headless linux servers to share their databases. It should 'just work™' from any Kodi client on your internal network.
I use an external database and don't see how having a gui to set stuff up would be faster or easier then directly editing the file. Especially when setting up multiple devices.

I prefer the external sql server over a local database. It does have it's advantages in some situations.
I hope that it remains an option even when there is newer ways of doing it.
You should have titled the thread "Database settings in the main Kodi GUI" (leaving out the "external"), because all the DBs are external to the Kodi app, really.  The word "external" makes it sound like you're asking for something far removed, when in fact - you are not.  Perhaps "alternate database" would be more appropriate.  Just because its on another box shouldn't make it a second-class citizen.

So I have a use-case for y'all where this could be helpful.  I just deployed Kodi onto a non-jailbroken iPad.  Works great as a simple client.  However, I have a centralized MariaDB setup with multiple Kodi clients, and as this IOS device is non-jailbroken, there is no easy way to edit the config files like advancedsettings.xml to set up the DB or otherwise.  Granted, this is a "non-standard" deployment.  And, I can understand the idea that "most people" won't use a centralized DB AND that there's a desire to KISS.  However, I could rattle off any number of advanced settings already in the current GUI menu that "most people" won't use.  Having the various menu levels which expose things which are considered more advanced only at certain levels seems to have been put in place just for this type of advanced configuration.  So, it does strike me as a bit odd that, after all these years, you still have to do this outside of the GUI interface.  Trust me I am as much a command-line guy as any, but just as I rarely use an IDE to debug code - its still nice to have it available in certain situations.  Just sayin Smile

As an addendum, I would also add that there are already direct GUI DB config solutions for OSMC and LibreElec which I also have found to be useful at times.  They to do it through an add-on, but I reckon they have altered the Kodi source to make this possible in their builds.
Very Thankful to you for this amazing post. Blush
(2019-02-04, 07:07)vaibhavkapoor Wrote: Very Thankful to you for this amazing post.

One more post with thankful but totally noncontributing and useless remarks, and you will have your butt kicked off this forum for spamming.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External database settings in the main Kodi GUI0