Android nVidia Shield TV - Voice Search Crash Kodi v18
Hi 

Ever since upgrading to Anroid Oreo/Shield TV Experience v7, I am finding Kodi crashes whenever I do a voice search.

So I press the mic button on the remote
Speak the search phrase
Google Assistant lists all the sources for said TV Show or Movie. Kodi is included, along with Netflix, Google Play, etc. (So it does find the item in the Kodi database)
If I select Kodi from the Google Assistant search UI to go to that item, it tries to dive into Kodi to bring up the item, then Kodi crashes.
I am left back on the nvidia Shield TV home screen.

I've tried so many builds, even reverted back to March 2018 build as I can say for sure that worked.
I've uninstalled Kodi and rebuilt my library and mostly started from scratch.
Cleared caches and data as much as I could, can't get it right.

I should say, on the very odd occasion it does work as expected, diving into the right media item without crashing Kodi.
Google assistant search will jump into YouTube, Netflix, Google Play without a hitch.

All my media is stored on a SMB share on my Windows 10 Machine as it has always been.

I would really appreciate some help to understand and fix this.

Debug log
https://paste.kodi.tv/aqifaroroq.kodi
Same happening here. Media is on a NAS in my case but local KODI install has the .db file correctly scrapped.

EDIT: Why not post here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...=assistant ?
Sweet thanks for posting on there. Hopefully someone can help with this.
I have just bought a Mecool M8S L Pro, I have the same problem. The voice search works, but when selecting the movie, Kodi crashes. Using android 7. & Kodi Leia Beta 4. 

Haven't had a chance to get logs yet.
Bump

I am experiencing exactly the same issues as the original poster on 2 different NVIDIA Shields. I am using an UNRAID server as a NAS and a central SQL library on a MariaDB docker.

SPMC had better voice search but now Koying (one third of all the worlds Android developers) has moved to MrMC that's no longer being supported.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
to come back to this topic. Does voice search work on nviidia shield with kodi 18? I couldn't do it
Nvidia Shield
kodi 18.1 RC1
I don't beleave this thread finished without getting a resolution. its now late 2020 and my shield is doing the same thing and im wondering what on earth is causing this silly crash issue.

So anyone whom has managed to find a fix, please post it here.

Thanks in advance.
(2020-10-28, 20:25)DROIDshield Wrote: I don't beleave this thread finished without getting a resolution. its now late 2020 and my shield is doing the same thing and im wondering what on earth is causing this silly crash issue.

Thanks in advance.
Hi all. It turns out I found a fix by uninstalling updates from the Google App. Or was it Google Assistant. 
I think it’s the Google App. Navigate to Apps, find Google. Uninstall updates. It will auto update every time so I had to turn off Play Store auto updates.

Later, I think a June update to the Google app worked without borking the Kodi search. 

It also helps to clear app settings, cache, data from Google app. Turn off assistant and turn it on again.  
Basically when you revert to the old version, you will be asked to sign in maybe or it will ask your permission to enable Google assistant on the shield. It then starts a YouTube tutorial automatically to show you what Assistant can do as if you used it the first time. This will let you know you cleared it properly on the shield. 

Don’t forget to disable that auto updates in the play store so long.
(2020-10-28, 22:55)Dr.nefario Wrote:
(2020-10-28, 20:25)DROIDshield Wrote: I don't beleave this thread finished without getting a resolution. its now late 2020 and my shield is doing the same thing and im wondering what on earth is causing this silly crash issue.

Thanks in advance.
Hi all. It turns out I found a fix by uninstalling updates from the Google App. Or was it Google Assistant. 
I think it’s the Google App. Navigate to Apps, find Google. Uninstall updates. It will auto update every time so I had to turn off Play Store auto updates.

Later, I think a June update to the Google app worked without borking the Kodi search. 

It also helps to clear app settings, cache, data from Google app. Turn off assistant and turn it on again.  
Basically when you revert to the old version, you will be asked to sign in maybe or it will ask your permission to enable Google assistant on the shield. It then starts a YouTube tutorial automatically to show you what Assistant can do as if you used it the first time. This will let you know you cleared it properly on the shield. 

Thanks for coming back so soon. I've done what you said and after extensive testing with voice search on my shield via Kodi. I'm now at 90% run rate 1 crash in 10 searches. Thats a massive difference. Thanks for your help. This has made life somewhat easier.
(2020-10-30, 06:47)DROIDshield Wrote:
(2020-10-28, 22:55)Dr.nefario Wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for coming back so soon. I've done what you said and after extensive testing with voice search on my shield via Kodi. I'm now at 90% run rate 1 crash in 10 searches. Thats a massive difference. Thanks for your help. This has made life somewhat easier.

Glad I could help. Finally I get to give something back to the internet help threads.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV - Voice Search Crash Kodi v180