Apple TV 4K - Kodi custom keymap for the SiriRemote
Everytime i press back button, it stops the video playback. Is there a way to stop it from happening? Inwant the video to continue to play.
And how do i access playback menu... (subtitles/audio/video) settings?
Hi,

I also don't like the default keymap of the apple tv 4k. I decided to build my own keymap which is much more intuitive.

• Video doesn’t stop playing when you go back to the menu
• To open the PlayerControls (to choose the subtitle or the audio track for example) you have to short press the center key while in FullscreenLiveTV or in FullscreenVideo
• If you hold the center key while in FullscreenLiveTV or FullscreenVideo, you get the CodecInfo-Screen

Do the following:
  1. Create a new file at your nfs- or smb-server with the following name: customcontroller.SiriRemote.xml (click the link the see the xml code)
  2. Open that file and copy the linked code into it, save the file
  3. Start Kodi, go to the Kodi file manager
  4. On the left side of the file manager choose "Profile Directory - Keymaps"
  5. On the right side of the file manager choose the path to the keymap customcontroller.SiriRemote.xml on your nfs- or smb server
  6. Copy that file by the context menu (normally hold the center key) to your apple tv 4k directory "Profile Directory - Keymaps"
  7. Exit Kodi and start it again, Now it should work "as expected" [emoji6]

At least it works very well for me and my wife. [emoji6]

You can change the keys the way you need them. Have a look at the Kodi wiki:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_keymaps 

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
Excellent. Thank you, sir.. much obliged!
Thanks! Did you already „install“ my custom keymap?

Maybe you have ideas for other keys, which should be mapped, even though you said: Excellent. [emoji6]

What do you think about it?

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
i actually did .. worked like a charm. dont really have any other suggestions since there are only a few buttons you can control on this stupid remote. the touchpad is terrible

i am actually using an old netgear neotv remote with my apple tv now.. lol

but it works great. i wish there was a way to teach it the tv button (right of the menu button).. so i could easily put it to sleep.

thx again for your help..
Thank you!

I don’t know why the default keymap is that awful. But hey, it’s Kodi, simply create your own keymap! [emoji6]

I was thinking about audio and subtitle changes by the up and down swipe function of the touchpad for FullscreenVideo and FullscreenLiveTV.

But that's the only thing that comes to my mind and I do not really need it.

Yeah, if there would be another remote with a Siri mic and without a touchpad, I would also change it.

If you have another good idea for functions, do not hesitate to write it here.

(2018-11-01, 23:07)ozkhan1 Wrote: i wish there was a way to teach it the tv button (right of the menu button).. so i could easily put it to sleep.

I would like to see a function in Kodi to bring the device into sleep mode directly without the need to leave Kodi.

Have fun and regards Hoppel

Hi again,

I did some other nice changes to my keymap: customcontroller.SiriRemote.xml (click the link the see the xml code)

The following functions I didn't change:
  • Video doesn’t stop playing, when you go back to the menu
  • To open the PlayerControls (to choose the subtitle or the audio track for example), you have to short press the center key while in FullscreenLiveTV or in FullscreenVideo
Now you can do the following in FullscreenVideo:
  • swipe the touchpad from down to up to change the audio track
  • swipe the touchpad from up to down to change the subtitle
  • swipe the touchpad from right to left to see the CodecInfo Screen
  • hold the center key to get Info
Now you can do the following in FullscreenLiveTV:
  • swipe the touchpad from down to up to change the audio track
  • swipe the touchpad from up to down to change the subtitle
  • swipe the touchpad from right to left to see the CodecInfo Screen
  • hold the center key to see the epg grid (TVGuide)
What do you think about these changes?

Two last questions to all the guys reading this thread: 
  1. So, we have the one swipe from left to right for both FullscreenViews without a useful function. Any ideas? Wink
  2. I am a bit unsure about the function of holding the center key. What is the best function for that?

Thanks and regards Hoppel

@ozkhan1 Can you rename this thread to:

Apple TV 4K - Kodi custom keymap for the SiriRemote

I think this keymap is interesting for other Apple TV 4K user, too. With this thread title it’s easier to find.

Thanks and regards Hoppel

Agreed and done.. i am sure there will be otherw hunting down the alt xml you have created.

If we can put ATV to sleep from within kodi, it will be great but not sure if thats possible.

I am so annoyed that they allowed IR learning for all the other keys on the remote except dor one that puts the device to sleep. Ridiculous.
Instead of posting the keymap into the forum please use pastebin.com to not clutter the thread even more.

Also thx for the nice Words about my default map. Glad I implemented key mapping for atv4 to allow you to go from awful to awesome. Else I would need to be part of the bikeshedding Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi @Memphiz,

instead of using pastebin, I found a similar function of this forum: https://paste.kodi.tv/

Fantastic!!! I corrected the both posts above. 

Sorry, for the nice words about your map. [emoji6] Didn't know that you created it on your own. But for me it's still awful. [emoji1] I really appreciate all the work you do with Kodi for iOS, macOS and tvOS. And thank you so much for the feature, which allows us to change the key mapping. The way my keymap works is more typical for me and also other guys. I used it that way with my odroid c2 (which I do not own anymore) some years ago and now with my Nvidia Shield. And for the Shield it is the default keymap. I do not like the behavior that a movie or livetv stops when you simply go to the menu. What is the reason for this?

If I remember your keymap right, there were also volume keys at the touchpad of the SiriRemote. My AVR supports CEC. So I can use the volume keys of the SiriRemote. But maybe not everyone has an AVR and I do not know, if the volume keys work without CEC. So I can understand your decision with the volume keys, at least a little bit. [emoji2] But the always stopping video is an absolutely nogo. And what about the PlayerControl-Menu? Don't you need it or how do you get there? 

What do you think about my keymap? customcontroller.SiriRemote.xml

I am really interested in your opinion and your reasons for that default keymap.

Best regards Hoppel

Oh man, Memphiz, didnt mean to demean all your work.. sorry about that.

Lol.
That map is the default keymap from atv2 times. I just took it as is without revisiting it.
The reason why menu stops playback was that the atv2 did not have enough power to have the menu in the foreground while playback was still running IIRC.

I have no opinion about your keymap because my Siri remote stopped working (Touch Pad is defect only the buttons are still working) - so I have no chance to test it out and see how it feels. I use the iOS integrated atv4 remote or the Kodi remote app if I test Kodi on atv4.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Ok, thanks @Memphiz for the explanation. With the ios integrated atv remote you miss the taps. I think my custom remote keymap is nearly complete for the keys and fuctions we have with the SiriRemote at the moment. I made some "last" changes:

customcontroller.SiriRemote.xml

Any discussion about it is very welcome.

Regards Hoppel

WAO! 
Really, fantastic job guys! With that, I was able to program the siri remote, the way I wanted to.
Thank you so much.
Well done!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 4K - Kodi custom keymap for the SiriRemote0