Music Files: include the disc number in files always?
In Music Files & Tagging it is quoted to have also the disc number in the file name always:
Quote:If you would like to use track numbers in the file name, then ensure you include the disc number, even if there is only one disc.
I don't have this in my file names. I think this is also not the most common way.
Typically files are names with "##. SongTitle" (usually in a directory structure .../Artist/AlbumTitle). However this is my style of naming music files in general.
To include the disc number may be a good way if the release consists more than one disc.

I see no need to include the disc number also if the release has only one dict.

Why should the disc number be included always?
Is something not working properly without included disc numbers?
Personally, I give no thought to file name and rely on properly tagged metadata in the file.  I don't think there's an issue (at least I haven't seen any) with having / not having the discnumber or total  number of disks set in the tags (unless of course there is more than 1 disc).  In my settings I use [%S/] format option to show the discnumber if it is present.

scott s.
(2018-11-05, 23:40)scott967 Wrote: I don't think there's an issue (at least I haven't seen any) with having / not having the discnumber or total  number of disks set in the tags (unless of course there is more than 1 disc).
Note: It's not about in the "in the tags" but it's about the filename!

I also don't think there is an issue of not having the disc number in the filename. However I'm a little bit confused about what is written on the linked page.

P.S.: I'm currently starting to move my music into Kodi. I'm also on ripping my CD's to FLAC right now. At the first view I haven't seen a problem of not having the disc number in the filename. I'm using EAC and currently I'm only tagging it with EAC, which means that there are only limited number of tags but the main tags (incl. disc-number and total-discs) are supported.
BTW: I'll try to tag my filed as correct as possible (with the tags supported by EAC) and I also include cover pics (goal 1000x1000, ~ 100 KB) in each file.
Two reasons I wrote that into the wiki (and probably based more on personal preference). But is should not be read as a "requirement", more of a "best practice"

1. Falls in line with what the Video library does with TV Shows
2. Found it easier in file views to correctly list tracks.

But, you have read the section completely out of context. Did you skip over these statements in the same paragraph...

"Remember that Kodi does not extract any information from the filename."
"The name you use for your files is your choice, but it is important that they are:"
"If you would like to use track numbers in the file name,..."

They all indicate it is personal choice.

If you don't have the disc number in the filename... don't stress about it. Nowhere does it say it is a requirement.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Of course I read it!
And maybe this was also the reason why I was more concerned about it.

From "Kodi does not extract any information from the filename" I implied that only the tags (e.g. ID3, Vorbis comments) will be used in Kodi and so I was confused after all.

It's good to hear that disc numbers are not mandatory in filenames.

Nevertheless I think the wording is not the best and basically it's [a little bit] contradictory ("is your choice" - vs. - "If you ... use track numbers ..., then ensure you include the disc number ...").
I wouldn't write it in this way.
To include the disc number always is one possible way, maybe very logical and consistent, but it's surely not the most common way (even not in Kodi).

For me everything is clear now and it's like expected.

Thx.
Sure. Create an account and the wiki is open for members to edit... so feel free to modify it.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@"NeroRome" I agree that the wiki is a little confusing.  A more normal way of naming a file to include disk numbers is more like

\Pink Floyd\Dark Side of the Moon\1-10 Pink Floyd - Eclipse.flac

Fairly standard pattern for EAC \ Picard \ etc.  Music organising tends to already have folders setup for artist and albums so very different to how Films and TV shows are organised.

When Ripping with EAC I use the http://cue.tools/wiki/CTDB_EAC_Plugin CUE Tools Plugin to get the tags.  Then the details from from MusicBrainz making updating with Picard to get the MBID easier.  Once the MBID is in there then v18 should handle the music even better.
(2018-11-06, 20:48)BatterPudding Wrote: Music organising tends to already have folders setup for artist and albums
But not everyone does it that way. Plenty of examples of users that dump all their music files in one folder and, more importantly, Kodi accepts that method.
My Signature
(2018-11-06, 21:57)Karellen Wrote:
(2018-11-06, 20:48)BatterPudding Wrote: Music organising tends to already have folders setup for artist and albums
But not everyone does it that way. Plenty of examples of users that dump all their music files in one folder and, more importantly, Kodi accepts that method. 
Trouble is those people who are dumping all their files into one folder are unlikely to have ripped any from original disks.  So they won't know disc numbers anyway.  Heaps of tracks like that tend to come from "other" sources.
True, but it is a fairly big assumption that does not rule out my previous use-case.

But if the wiki is not in-line with how members are naming their own music, please hop on the wiki and adjust it so it more accurately reflects "accepted" naming. Smile
My Signature
My personal usage is to place all files from a disk in their own folder, so for a multi-disk release I have disk1, disk2 etc subfolders, and in Kodi 18 that presents no problems with nfo or art file storage.

But again, from using Kodi and managing music I don't use the filenames for any purpose.  Some tagging software does provide for extracting track / artist / album from filename using regex which can be a convenience.  Mp3Tag for example I think you could use about any naming method you want and create a script to convert your personal naming scheme into tags.  But for Kodi, once you have tags you are good.  (In Kodi 18 this is also true for music video if you choose to use tags, though I don't think there is any scraper that uses MV tags for lookups). 

My point about setting discnumber in tags, is about how a user might want to display the info in Kodi.  My personal preference is only to show discnumber when there are multi-disc releases.

scott s.
(2018-11-06, 01:55)NeroRome Wrote: It's good to hear that disc numbers are not mandatory in filenames.

Agreed it's probably worded a little too strongly in wiki.

Doing this makes no sense if all you have is single disk albums, however if you've a mixture of single and multiple disk albums then it seems that all that was being suggested is that you use a consistent naming format for all tracks, therefore if you never scan music into library to make use of tags or the tags are a mess, then you can use the file name views and things will be consistently sorted if you use the same naming convention for everything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Files: include the disc number in files always?0