NVIDIA SHIELD TV from 4K to HD?
(2018-11-09, 11:43)FoxADRIANO Wrote: but I don't see that writing "Whitelist".
It's there when you set the Kodi menu to EXPERT level (change it by clicking on the bottom left object).

(2018-11-09, 11:43)FoxADRIANO Wrote: PS: Every time I open Kodi I see a boring writing "Update the Add-Ons".
Apparently do you have one or more (system?) add-ons. Perhaps you selected "Notify but do not update addons" previously.
Go to Settings/System/Add-ons/General/Updates and choose "Never check for updates".
My TV is Bravia Sony TV KD-65X8509C and it don't support HDR, I think.
I thank you f9or your patience but ... I'm sorry I don't understand well. I already wrote I chose 8 bit Rec.709 in Shiel settings but I don't know if I have to choose 8 bit Rec.709 - 59.94 Hz or 8 bit Rec.709 - 50 Hrz. This is my dubt.
(2018-11-09, 12:33)Klojum Wrote:
It's there when you set the Kodi menu to EXPERT level (change it by clicking on the bottom left object).
 Look at the pic please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldk7zxhsndes9h...I.jpg?dl=0
I'm in Expert but tere isn't "Whitelist" word.
(2018-11-09, 13:32)FoxADRIANO Wrote: My TV is Bravia Sony TV KD-65X8509C and it don't support HDR, I think.
I thank you for your patience but ... I'm sorry I don't understand well. I already wrote I chose 8 bit Rec.709 in Shield settings but I don't know if I have to choose 8 bit Rec.709 - 59.94 Hz or 8 bit Rec.709 - 50 Hrz. This is my doubt.

If you are living in the UK / Europe / Australasia then use (Shield settings) - 1080p 50Hz or leave it at 1080p 59.94Hz if in North America.

I think you are still running Kodi Krypton if the Whitelist is missing.
It does not matter anyway because Kodi will auto refresh switch, if it needs to match the Frame Rate of your source video.

Is the color output now correct with 8bit rec.709 when playing your 2160p video ?

(2018-11-09, 13:44)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
 Look at the pic please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldk7zxhsndes9h...I.jpg?dl=0
I'm in Expert but tere isn't "Whitelist" word. 
No you are in "Advanced"  and not "Expert".
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-11-09, 01:24)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Ok, this is the Metadata. I don't see the option to attach the file, therefore I copy/paste it.

Code:
Generale
Nome completo                           : D:\La bassa valle dell'Omo (4K)100M.mp4
Formato                                 : MPEG-4
Profilo formato                         : JVT
ID codec                                : avc1 (avc1/mp42)
Dimensione                              : 24,1 GiB
Durata                                  : 34 min 25s
Modo bitrate generale                   : Costante
Bitrate totale                          : 100 Mb/s
Data codifica                           : UTC 2018-11-08 21:47:28
Data                                    : UTC 2018-11-08 21:47:28

Video
ID                                      : 1
Formato                                 : AVC
Formato/Informazioni                    : Advanced Video Codec
Profilo formato                         : [email protected]
Impostazioni formato                    : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Impostazioni formato, CABAC             : Si
Impostazioni formato, RefFrames         : 2 frame
ID codec                                : avc1
ID codec/Informazioni                   : Advanced Video Coding
Modalità bitrate                        : Costante
Bitrate                                 : 100,0 Mb/s
Larghezza                               : 3.840 pixel
Altezza                                 : 2.160 pixel
Rapporto aspetto visualizzazione        : 16:9
Modalità frame rate                     : Costante
Frame rate                              : 50,000 FPS
Standard                                : Component
Spazio colore                           : YUV
Croma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Profondità bit                          : 8 bit
Tipo scansione                          : Progressivo
Bit/(pixel*frame)                       : 0.241
Dimensione della traccia                : 24,0 GiB (100%)
Lingua                                  : Inglese
colour_range                            : Limited
Colori primari                          : BT.709
Caratteristiche trasferimento           : BT.709
Coefficienti matrici                    : BT.709
Codec configuration box                 : avcC

Audio
ID                                      : 2
Formato                                 : AAC LC
Formato/Informazioni                    : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
ID codec                                : mp4a-40-2
Durata sorgente                         : 34 min 25s
Modalità bitrate                        : Costante
Bitrate                                 : 384 kb/s
Canali                                  : 2 canali
Channel layout                          : L R
Frequenza campionamento                 : 48,0 kHz
Frame rate                              : 46,875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Modo compressione                       : Con perdita
Dimensione della traccia                : 94,6MiB (0%)
Dim. flusso sorgente                    : 94,6MiB (0%)
Lingua                                  : Inglese

That is a UHD SDR Rec 709 8-bit video with 2160/50p. It's very similar (if not identical) to the 4K demo channels being operated on European satellite stations (and is the standard used for non-HDR UHD broadcasts in Europe)

To properly set HDMI output settings on an nVidia Shield TV :

SETTINGS->DISPLAY & SOUND->ADVANCED SETTINGS->HDMI SETTINGS

De-select 'Set to Recommended'
Ensure all filters are 'None' in initially.

I'd select 'Filter by Refresh Rate' and select 50Hz (as that is your source refresh rate)

Then select 'Filter by Colour Space' to a Rec 709 mode and NOT a Rec 2020 one. I get options of 8 bit Rec 709 RGB, and then 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and 8, 10 or 12-bit output, plus some Rec.2020 options too. I'd suggest a Rec. 709 colourspace output to match your source material, removing any Rec 709 to Rec 2020 mapping. There is probably no benefit in 10 or 12-bit but no harm either (the LSBs will just be filled with 00 or 0000s AIUI) You may find that you will need to use a 4:2:0 8-bit mode to get all resolutions offered in the next step if you have a bandwidth limit in your UHD chain (some AVRs and TVs don't accept full 10-bit or 12-bit at 2160/50p and above)

Then when you go to 'HDMI Display Modes' at the bottom you should be left with a choice of resolutions for that refresh rate and colour space (I get 2160p, 1080p and 720p options with my AVR and Sony UHDTV) - and it's in this menu you chose your final output mode. If you want to fix your refresh rate and resolution instead of your refresh rate and colour space earlier on, you can - then you will get a  list of colour space options in your HDMI display mode list at that fixed resolution and refresh rate instead.

I think a lot of people miss this way of setting resolution, refresh rate and colour space on the Shield TV and use the more cut-down options earlier in the menu structure.
 You are right. I have just found "Whitelist". Thanks
(2018-11-09, 14:48)noggin Wrote: If you want to fix your refresh rate and resolution instead of your refresh rate and colour space earlier on, you can - then you will get a  list of colour space options in your HDMI display mode list at that fixed resolution and refresh rate instead.

I think a lot of people miss this way of setting resolution, refresh rate and colour space on the Shield TV and use the more cut-down options earlier in the menu structure. 
You are a wonderful guy. Laugh  I thank you a lot. Now I see my videos good even if I have even other problems.
Anyway, what do you mean with: "If you want to fix your refresh rate and resolution instead of your refresh rate and colour space earlier on ....." What is it better? Is there an improvement in the quality of the image? I'm looking for this.

My other problems:
1) The remote control doesn't work fine with Kodi and Shield. When it works it is very slow to open the programs. I have to push the buttons 2-3-4 times before I get what I push. In the meantime I watch a video even the curson doesn't work fine if I want to go on. Today I wanted watch the final part of my video and I spent 10 minutes to reach that part of the video. In every other "entry" (resolution and colour space) I see NONE.
2) Every time I open The Shield I see a writing: Update Shield's accessories. I'm not able to delete that writing in a permanent way.

Out of curiosity:
1) What is the latest Shield firmware? Do I have to update it manually?
2) Is it possible to save the file of the settings so that I can load it when I unistall Kodi and I install it again?
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks
(2018-11-09, 16:00)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
(2018-11-09, 14:48)noggin Wrote: If you want to fix your refresh rate and resolution instead of your refresh rate and colour space earlier on, you can - then you will get a  list of colour space options in your HDMI display mode list at that fixed resolution and refresh rate instead.

You are a wonderful guy. Laugh  I thank you a lot. Now I see my videos good even if I have even other problems.  
Happy to help.
Quote:Anyway, what do you mean with: "If you want to fix your refresh rate and resolution instead of your refresh rate and colour space earlier on ....." What is it better? Is there an improvement in the quality of the image? I'm looking for this.
You misunderstood me - the way the filtering of HDMI modes in the Shield TV works, you can set two of the three option to get a choice of the third.

So you could chose to fix resolution and refresh rate - then get a choice of colour spaces available, or you could chose to fix colour space and refresh rate and get a choice of supported resolutions etc.

If you don't set any filters you will see ALL the modes supported by your TV/AVR combo in the mode list at the bottom - the filters just help you narrow them down.

The reason I suggested both approaches is that some displays and AVRs don't support all colour space options at all resolutions and frame rates - and so you may want to select frame rate and resolution first, so you don't lock out a resolution or frame rate combination by selecting a colour space that isn't supported in all frame rates and resolutions.
Quote:My other problems:
1) The remote control doesn't work fine with Kodi and Shield. When it works it is very slow to open the programs. I have to push the buttons 2-3-4 times before I get what I push. In the meantime I watch a video even the curson doesn't work fine if I want to go on. Today I wanted watch the final part of my video and I spent 10 minutes to reach that part of the video. In every other "entry" (resolution and colour space) I see NONE.

Have you changed the battery (or recharged it if you have the early model remote). My Shield TV responds fine.

Do you have any USB3 devices near your Shield TV - they are known to interfere with Bluetooth and WiFi at 2.4GHz. I've read that some people have issues with this on the Shield TV I think (and some may have done a hardware modification to improve things by altering the internal bluetooth antenna?)  I don't have that issue with my setup when I use USB 3 HDDs but I may be lucky with my set-up, USB 3 cables and drives etc.

Quote:2) Every time I open The Shield I see a writing: Update Shield's accessories. I'm not able to delete that writing in a permanent way.

Have you selected it to update your accessories? The Remote control and Game controller both get frequent firmware updates. You make that message go away by updating their firmware - which I think should happen when you click on that message?
Quote:Out of curiosity:
1) What is the latest Shield firmware? Do I have to update it manually?

I'm in the Shield TV Beta Programme but think we're currently on release firmware at the moment - I'm on 7.1.0(29.6.259.0)

There is a menu 'When an upgrade is available' setting to select between 'Auto download' and 'Notify Me' in System Upgrade menu.

The menu is in SETTINGS->ABOUT->SYSTEM UPGRADE - where you have "Check for upgrade" and "When an upgrade is available" options.
Quote:2) Is it possible to save the file of the settings so that I can load it when I unistall Kodi and I install it again?
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks 

I'll leave others to answer that.
(2018-11-09, 16:42)noggin Wrote:
Quote:Is it possible to save the file of the settings so that I can load it when I unistall Kodi and I install it again?
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks 

I'll leave others to answer that.  
That is completely pointless. Uninstall and reinstall Kodi and put back the settings file doesn't do anything helpful. If something is wrong then the settings file is exactly the thing you need to get rid of
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I NEED CRY! Today I updated the Shield accessories and after that the Shield or Kodi don't see my HDD anymore. When I open Kodi in VIDEO there isn't my HDD with my documentaries. Is it a Kodi or Shield problem? Shield is giving me too many problems. I still don't know if the remote control works fine after that update. I think with that update Shield updated also the driver of the remote control. But I can't use it anymore to verify it with Kodi. How can I solve this problem? I hope you can reply as soon as possible because I'm becoming anxious.
Thanks
If the remote doesn't work for the Shield side of things then it's not a Kodi problem. Factory reset?
Try & find out if you have fully updated your Shield. Over time, I had some updates for the remote only. Also check the battery level in the remote. Charge it fully.
I updated everything, not only the remote. I'm sure of this, I verified. Now the remote seems to work fine. My worry is: I updated the Shield accessories and after that Kodi don't see my HDD anymore. I unistalle Kodi and intalled it again but Kodi doesn't see my esternal HDD anymore. I am desperate and I don't know what to do.
Just for Sherlock Holmes's sake, to eliminate possible causes:

- Does the HDD still work on a PC/Mac/Laptop ?
- Does the Nvidia Shield TV see your HDD via some Android File Browser (e.g. X-Plore File Manager)?
- Does Kodi see the HDD perhaps via a different (Android) path? If so, compare the old and new paths and let us know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA SHIELD TV from 4K to HD?2