Linux Can you play this .MKV in Kodi or Raspbian?
Hi guys!
The mkv files linked below don't work in Kodi on my Raspberri Pi 3b+, nor under Raspbian.
Can I install something or do anything to get it to work there? They work fine under Windows 7 in MPC-HC.
I tried to convert into mp4 format doesn't work properly, because the main mkv uses external segments in its chapter list.

here's the video:
https://www94.zippyshare.com/v/FV4cdG0k/file.html

If anyone can figure this out, your help is very appreciated.
Thank you.
You could try the latest LibreELEC with Kodi 18 from Milhouse. It has some optimizations for 10-bit HEVC videos. But keep in mind that the gpu in the RPi does not support h/w acceleration for HEVC/h.265 videos. Also comparing a $35 dollar kids toy to a full-blown personal computer is kinda nuts.
the video doesnt work in Kodi 17.6 nor 18.
I upgraded to Kodi 18 shortly but downgraded again because my PS2/PS3 Dualshock 2 controller only work in Kodi 17.6 properly.
So, are you saying the video doesnt run in the Raspberry because it's HEVC/265 codec?
LibreELEC with Kodi 17.6 does not support 10bit video, LE + Kodi 18 can do 10bit hevc but only if the video bitrate is not too high.
thank you for the help.
looks like I have to handbrake it to mp4 after all and endure the missing intro/outro and inferior subtitles
MKV is too advanced for its own good
First, HEVC/h265 10 bit videos won't work on Kodi 17 on the Raspberry Pi, support for it was only added on Kodi 18.
I just tested your samples and the 2 lower bitrate ones works fine on Raspbian with Kodi 18 on an overclocked RPi 3B. The higher bitrate one has frame skips. Make sure you have MMAL enabled and OMXPlayer disabled, which is the default.

PS: This HEVC/h265 optimizations are on Kodi, not on the operating system. Most OSs on the Raspberry uses the Kodi version with the same optimizations including the version available on Raspbian.
Hi, found a issue on Kodi v18.5 "Leia" running in Raspbian on Raspberry pi4:
Running video.mkv hang kodi.

This procedure fix this issue:

Add follow two lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="argon-*", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"
SUBSYSTEM=="rpivid-*", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"

Add follow line in /boot/config.txt

gpu_mem=320

Next reboot Raspberry
(2020-02-26, 22:22)ptagliav Wrote: Hi, found a issue on Kodi v18.5 "Leia" running in Raspbian on Raspberry pi4:
Running video.mkv hang kodi.

This procedure fix this issue:

Add follow two lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="argon-*", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"
SUBSYSTEM=="rpivid-*", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"

Add follow line in /boot/config.txt

gpu_mem=320

Next reboot Raspberry
Did not work for me

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can you play this .MKV in Kodi or Raspbian?0