New TV advice - 50 to 55".
Hi,

My 12-year-old Samsung LE40A656 has started to go wrong and I need to start looking for a replacement.

Budget is around £600.00 and my maximum screen size is 55".

Can anyone suggest anything worth considering, please?

At the moment, I am very tempted by the Hisense 55U7A.
Might be useful to stick your location down.  It's a shame that's not listed under names any more.
Edit : £600.  Must read more carefully.
wirecutter.com is a good place to start.
wirecutter.com seems to cater to North America demographics and TV models tend to be country specific. I might be wrong.
In any case, the OP mentioned £ as his currency.
Sorry - yes, I should say I am in England.

Wirecutter seems a great site but there does seem to be too much of a variance between the UK and US markets, as far as TVs go, to fully exploit the site's information.
avforums would be worth a look for general (uk) discussions / info.
I can waste a lot of time there.
I think you should wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to buy a new TV within that budget.
Having said that a friend found a good deal that I doubt will be bettered on Black Friday for a Samsung 55" for £508 earlier this week from the following techradar page:-
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/cheap-tv-deals-4k

I've no idea how good the TV my friend bought is but at that price (and in your price range) I'd trust in a Samsung TV over most other brands in that page.
Maybe others have a better experience of the brand but I would say do not buy that Hisense TV, another friend recently bought a Hisense 55" and already wants to bin it.
I would tend to agree with @stammie on this one.
And Samsung manufacture their own displays, a statement very few other brands can make.
(2018-11-09, 18:48)stammie Wrote: I think you should wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to buy a new TV within that budget.
 Do British retailers also do the whole "black friday/cyber monday" thing given its tied to an American holiday?

To the OP: At 600 quid selection going to be a bit limited, but honestly, if you're coming from a 12-year-old set, even the lowest of the low end is likely going to be a huge step up. I will also add, assuming they sell over in England, that TCL has a reputation for punching above their weight class. Their TVs generally are almost as good as sets 25-50% more. One other thing I would suggest, is making sure any set you buy supports HLG. The Beeb is one of the primary developers of it, so you can bet they plan on using it. Any HDR capable set should support that, but it never hurts to give the technical specs a quick once-over to make sure.
https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/55-inch-tv
(2018-11-09, 20:16)aerogems Wrote:
(2018-11-09, 18:48)stammie Wrote: I think you should wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to buy a new TV within that budget.
 Do British retailers also do the whole "black friday/cyber monday" thing given its tied to an American holiday?

Yeah we have that whole thing now, the Wal Mart owned ASDA chain brought it in a few years, ironically ASDA have announced they wont be doing Black Friday this year.
(2018-11-09, 21:51)stammie Wrote:
(2018-11-09, 20:16)aerogems Wrote:  Do British retailers also do the whole "black friday/cyber monday" thing given its tied to an American holiday?  
 Yeah we have that whole thing now, the Wal Mart owned ASDA chain brought it in a few years, ironically ASDA have announced they wont be doing Black Friday this year.   
Learn something new every day, I guess. Thanks for that.
(2018-11-10, 07:52)aerogems Wrote:
(2018-11-09, 21:51)stammie Wrote:
(2018-11-09, 20:16)aerogems Wrote:  Do British retailers also do the whole "black friday/cyber monday" thing given its tied to an American holiday?  
Learn something new every day, I guess. Thanks for that. 
 Yes - Amazon is big in the UK and they run a Black Friday here too.  Quite a few shops have picked up Black Friday and online stores also picked up Cyber Monday.  It's not universal - and has caused discussions here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New TV advice - 50 to 55".0