Solved WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error:
Hello,

I'm having an issue where my video stalls for several seconds and then, for lack of a better term, fast forwards to where the video probably would be had it not stalled. let me preface this with, I don't think it's a bug or problem with KODI, more likely my setup and I'm just looking for help either fixing my network problem or setting up KODI so this doesn't happen.

Trying to keep the details short, I had been running Ubuntu 16 as a server (NFS) in one room with KODI 17 streaming to a chrombox setup in another room with Ubuntu 16 and KODI 17 for over a year with no issues. This past week I decided to upgrade the server box to Ubuntu 18.04 and KODI 18 and the Chrombox to KODI 18 (still Ubuntu 16 and still using NFS). 

Now I've noticed whenever there's several other family members using the internet I'm getting the stalling. The log shows like 30 or 40 lines with:
Code:
WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error:
NOTICE: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process - stream stalled

Again I am sure it is something I have set up wrong, but since the only fault I'm seeing is in KODI I was hoping to get some help here.

Here's the full log if that helps, I'm sure its a glaring indication of how crappy I've set everything up but hopefully it's not too bad.

Like I said if nothing else is using my network I don't have any issues. Also, these are all locally stored video files, it also doesn't matter the type of video file, .MP4, .MKV...etc. I also recently replaced my router, but didn't have any issues until I upgraded everything else. Oh and everything is a hard connection, no wireless. I can't think of any other useful information now, but if you have questions let me know.  

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Scott-
Main HTPC/Server, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0
ASUS Chromebox, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0, Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO Mod
From the log it looks like a network error where the device is going down.

Please provide: 
a) a Debug Log (your's is none)
b) dmesg | pastebinit _after_ the issue happened
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for taking a look, I'll post the debug log later today.

Scott -
Debug log

The freeze happens at 15:47 as I'm sure you'll be able to tell.

Thanks again,

Scott-
dmesg | pastebinit is missing after the issue
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
From log - yes complete stall.
I'm guessing it has something to do with how I set up NFS on my server but with the "Audio sync error I was wondering if it had anything to do with how I set up KODI or maybe something to do with Ubuntu binary addons/audio codec that I'm missing. I know very little about that part of KODI, It's always just worked which is why I love it. Everything else on my network works fine, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu... I guess that's a little different though, streaming vs. file serving.

I'm trying to read and adjust my network as well, but I'm not having much luck and googling the error doesn't help much either. Is that not so much an error as it's just reporting what's going on? 

Thanks again for any ideas,

Scott-
You still did not give me the output of:

Code:
dmesg | pastebinit

after the issue occurs. I want to see if you get a GPU hang or something.

Also: Can you reproduce this with a local file?
Sorry work got in the way.

dmesg | pastebinit 

Local file is fine, so I'm guessing it's something with my network.

Thanks again,

Scott-
Just an update and for anyone else runs into a similar problem. I seemed to have solved this issue, not sure if I went about it the right way but I'm no longer getting that error and playback is nice and smooth.

I went ahead and did a fresh install on my client chrome box of Ubuntu 18.04 and Kodi 18 Beta 5 and was still having the error along with freezing. I noticed after that I did not back up my advancedsettings.xml, I don't have a very complicated setup so I just made it from scratch and added
Code:
<cache>
   <memorysize>20971520</memorysize>
   <buffermode>1</buffermode>
   <readfactor>4.0</readfactor>
</cache>

I was still getting freezing with the default settings so I increased the memory size to  40971520. With that the video would play much longer but still freeze so I knew I was heading in the right direction I think I stopped on ~60MB of ram. I also noticed a gray buffer bar on the OSD stays well ahead of where the video is. Using this link. 

How to modify the video cache

I also increased the read factor to 6 in hopes of keeping the cache filled all the time. I may try and fine tune it later but as of now I don't see any reason.

Thanks again,
Scott -

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error:0