I don't suppose anyone would have a handy Movie addon template? would you?
Hi Kodi community,

I've been trying to figure out how to create a simple kodi addon to access my remote server with movies and tvshows.  I've tried to copy/rewrite other developers video addons to build up my own but that was too no avail.  

SO basically what I am attempting is:

1. to have the addon play videos from the server (I use ftp protocol, maybe there is a better more preferred idk).
2. also to scrape the media content from TMDb/TTVDb (this is not as important, but very nice to have).

I feel that I would eventually figure it out but, i imagine this kind of addon is a cake walk for some of you on this forum.

So please, if you know of any template or tutorial/resource. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Any help would really be amazing! 

I have a synology NAS server.  I store my movies on there.  I just want to make an addon on kodi to access/play these movies. please help.  

or (i dont know if this is easier) the NAS i have provides a video stream website similar to let us say netflix.  is it easier to have the addon play videos from the website? if so, can i see a sample code?
there's a tutorial for a basic video plugin in our wiki:
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Video_addon
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
You are over thinking this https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Yes, Kodi itself can take care of it.

Just make sure your files/folders are properly named and add your mediashare(s) to the library. Or just browse in file-mode if posters etc. is of no importance.
Thank you all for the reply! i will be sure to refer to the kodi wiki alot more often from now on.

@Atreyu I currently use kodi to share my media files across many devices, however the con of using kodi in this way is that you have to scrape/scan your media files if you want to view newly added content.  when you have thousands of files; scanning can take hours, also depending on internet speed.  I just recently found out that video addons don't require scanning/scraping media info or rather you don't need to wait for it.  which to me is ideal. Wink

-Shay
(2018-11-21, 00:51)captain687 Wrote: ... when you have thousands of files; scanning can take hours...
It can.  But only once (the initial scan).
(2018-11-21, 01:31)trogggy Wrote:
(2018-11-21, 00:51)captain687 Wrote: ... when you have thousands of files; scanning can take hours...
It can.  But only once (the initial scan).  
True. the very first scan will always be the longest. however let us say you were keeping up with Game of thrones but you missed a few episodes or even just one.  you would have to do a scan to just to scrape that and unfortunately even if its one episode you missed the scan will take longer than 5-10min depending on internet. (before you think "wow this guy cant even wait 5min lol" think how long it takes you to watch what you want on netflix or putlock) 

I am however aware of the addon Watchdog (excellent addon i currently use it) i recommend it to anyone who hates waiting for scan.

Also I know you can browse directly to the network location of the media files to completely avoid scanning all together, but you know we've been spoiled, we like to see thumbnails and ratings and actors now lol  Laugh
If I don't want to wait for a scan I'll go to Videos, navigate to the G.o.T folder, bring up the context menu and hit 'Scan for new content.'
By the time I'm back in tv-shows the pretty stuff is ready.  It's a shame that isn't available (AFAIK) in a library view, but it's pretty quick.

Edit: I use nfo files and local artwork, so I guess that would take a bit longer using the tvdb scraper. Still very quick though (if not very intuitive).
(2018-11-21, 02:36)trogggy Wrote: .. I use nfo files ..
 Ahh yes I forgot about nfo files. I came across it near when i just started to use kodi. at the time the scanning seemed like a more practical way to get media info, and probably still is. however accounting for speed nfo files would be much much faster. it would be a tedious task to copy and paste all that media info but it would only have to be done once. Maybe there is even a nfo generator somewhere too lol

if creating the addon doesn't work out, i may just turn to nfo files. thanks for that!  Wink
Import-export_library (wiki)
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
thanks for the link @Karellen. much appreciated  Nerd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I don't suppose anyone would have a handy Movie addon template? would you?0