v18 problems with Scumm VM
I am in the Phase of testing Retroplayer, one thing to test was the great ScummVM Engine.
However, i came across some Problems here, not sure if they are all bugs or just me doing stupid things.

1. Lucas Arts Games Engine is broken.
Yeah that one is kinda ironic ;-). So far every Game on that engine i tried has sound Problems, Sound is stuttering and most of the times too fast/not in sync.
Other games work fine, so i guess this has to do with the engine, not ScummVM in General or how it is connected as libretro core.

2. Crashes crash Kodi
That one is annoying. I have mass added some games, not everyone was properly detected. When starting such a game, it will crash the engine (guess this is by design) However, in my case it crashes Kodi itself. This can also be triggered if some game starts but will end in the builtin debugger.

3. Where to put my mt32 Rom files?
Scumm VM usually supports MT32 Emulation. But where would I put those romfiles? I tried within ther userprofile, where the .ini resides, as well in the plugin folder, but no luck. I then placed those files within a game, that seems to work, but honestly, not very nice to mass duplicate those romfiles. Anyway, does MT32 Emulation even work with the Retroplayer build? I tested Sam and Max, but i wasn't sure i heard any difference...

4. make the themefiles available.
That one was rather funny, because later on i discovered, that the theme file was actually already available in the extras folder. It however is not selectable when running fresh. Could that be made available from start?

5. Can Options be removed that make no sense:
Yeah, not a big problem as well, but it would be nice if options within the gui are removed, as they make no sense for Retroplayer. F.ex. the Render selection has no options to select, because rendering is done and configured by Retroplayer itself. So it would be nice if this option is not available at all.

6. Keyboard and Mouse:
Almost forgot that: Most of the keys are not working. f.ex Pressing F5 does not bring up the Pause menu in Lucas Games. Mouse also behaves rather quirky.

Guess that's it for now, not sure if there was more, but i gladly help testing to get a nice SCUMM VM engine on kodi :-)
I suppose it can be usefull know the build and the platform of choice for your Kodi.
Windows/Android/etc...

For example on Windows and the current Kodi Leia RC there are no graphic options changeable except after launching ScummVM itself and only for Render method (old CGA/EGA etc....)

I must say that i'm a very old user of ScummVM and it's also important to know that not every language of the games are supported at 100%
Here's a compatibility list for the actual 2.0 version of ScummVM
https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/2.0.0/

Another Usefull resource is the datafiles used by ScummVM: not every file is needed and there are a lot of differences between floppy and CD versions.
If a game is not detected usually is because some important datafile is missing or have a bad checksum (this can append only if not original titles but at as much as the original games cost like a coffee on Gog.com i suppose there are not problem about original games)
But here's the datafiles needed for every game in order to make them works and being detected
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles
@3xistence
Thank you for your answer, You are right, i totally forgot the system Configuration, System is Windows 7 64, Leia Beta5.

However my questions are not related to ScummVM in general (I started playing with Scumm VM myself around some 0.x Version on a rather obscure OS called MorphOS, so I know some bits about that), but the problems I found using it with Retroplayer. I was wondering if Someone else is able to reproduce my findings, before i look on github to file a bug report. Especially the crash part and the stuttering in Lucas Arts Games should be reproduceable.
(2018-11-14, 14:32)Canuma Wrote: @3xistence
Thank you for your answer, You are right, i totally forgot the system Configuration, System is Windows 7 64, Leia Beta5.

However my questions are not related to ScummVM in general (I started playing with Scumm VM myself around some 0.x Version on a rather obscure OS called MorphOS, so I know some bits about that), but the problems I found using it with Retroplayer. I was wondering if Someone else is able to reproduce my findings, before i look on github to file a bug report. Especially the crash part and the stuttering in Lucas Arts Games should be reproduceable.

For now I tested Monkey Island 1, floppy EGA version and i have the same problems (Windows64bit and Last Leia Nightly Build):
+music/sound stuttering/choppy
+can't access any menu or returning back (forcing to shutdown Kodi/force quit and run it again)
Thanks again.
I filled bug reports on github, hope it will be fixed.
(2018-11-14, 18:29)Canuma Wrote: Thanks again.
I filled bug reports on github, hope it will be fixed.
 I sadly don't know how to help but i think, in theory, the best option is to change the scummvm behavior in a similar way of emulators: background playback of the scummvm with front gameOSD (as keyboard can't work properly in any case because it's used for kodi hotkeys. Or they can just override a keyboard in order to be used as "call the menu" option.

For the stuttering audio i really don't know. Also i can confirm that even the free games on scummvm page have some problems: Soltys, for example, doesn't even run (black screen and i can hear 1 sec of music before the freeze on black screen append ).
(2018-11-10, 12:38)Canuma Wrote: I am in the Phase of testing Retroplayer, one thing to test was the great ScummVM Engine.
However, i came across some Problems here, not sure if they are all bugs or just me doing stupid things.

1. Lucas Arts Games Engine is broken.
Yeah that one is kinda ironic ;-). So far every Game on that engine i tried has sound Problems, Sound is stuttering and most of the times too fast/not in sync.
Other games work fine, so i guess this has to do with the engine, not ScummVM in General or how it is connected as libretro core.

2. Crashes crash Kodi
That one is annoying. I have mass added some games, not everyone was properly detected. When starting such a game, it will crash the engine (guess this is by design) However, in my case it crashes Kodi itself. This can also be triggered if some game starts but will end in the builtin debugger.

3. Where to put my mt32 Rom files?
Scumm VM usually supports MT32 Emulation. But where would I put those romfiles? I tried within ther userprofile, where the .ini resides, as well in the plugin folder, but no luck. I then placed those files within a game, that seems to work, but honestly, not very nice to mass duplicate those romfiles. Anyway, does MT32 Emulation even work with the Retroplayer build? I tested Sam and Max, but i wasn't sure i heard any difference...

4. make the themefiles available.
That one was rather funny, because later on i discovered, that the theme file was actually already available in the extras folder. It however is not selectable when running fresh. Could that be made available from start?

5. Can Options be removed that make no sense:
Yeah, not a big problem as well, but it would be nice if options within the gui are removed, as they make no sense for Retroplayer. F.ex. the Render selection has no options to select, because rendering is done and configured by Retroplayer itself. So it would be nice if this option is not available at all.

6. Keyboard and Mouse:
Almost forgot that: Most of the keys are not working. f.ex Pressing F5 does not bring up the Pause menu in Lucas Games. Mouse also behaves rather quirky.

Guess that's it for now, not sure if there was more, but i gladly help testing to get a nice SCUMM VM engine on kodi :-)
 the datafiles used by ScummVM: not every file is needed and there are a lot of differences between floppy and CD versions.
If a game is not detected usually is because some important datafile is missing or have a bad checksum (this can append only if not original titles but at as much as the original games cost like a coffee on Gog.com

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problems with Scumm VM0